Helppp

thisismysn20

Warlord
Hey guys, I've downloaded about 15 units so far and want to add them into my game. I've read the posts on how to install tese units but still I don't know how too.

Whenever I go to add a new unit, I always have the settlers icon, plus the unit doesn't have any attributes but "1" in movement.

The units I'm trying to install are...

Me-110, Aegis Destroyer, Apache, B-1B, DDTank, E3Sentry, PPS15rRadar, Seahawk, Sniper, Superfortress, Truck, and Hind...

If anyone can help, please do so... I'm too new at this!

You need to go into the civ editor and manually adjust the attributes for each of the units you put into the game.

Thanks I'm changing some of the attributes to the bomber right now... but I can't add custom units to the game though... all the ones I mentioned above.

quick question, how do I edit the units_32.pcx? Just do copy and paste in regular paintbrush?

Hmmm I got the editor hack and used it to add units to my game, you might want to go look for that in the utility forum. It works great, adds a little button called, what else "add". :p
As for the pcx I don't know that one exactly

Yea I have editor hack as well. Oh well, I'll keep on trying and hopefully I'll stumble on it... thanks anyways

After you added the units did you load up a saved game, because units won't show up in a saved game. You have to start a new one

Yea I tried all that... this time when I tried installing the Hind, it now requests me to insert the CD everytime. Any suggestions on that?

I follow all the instructions to installing the above units, and I just can't get them to work for some reason. Did you install any of those units?

Yes I have and they work for me, I don't know why your getting all these problems as you seem to have done everything correctly.

Would you mind posting a step by step of how you try to add a unit? It might allow myself or anyone else to see where you might be going wrong.

Also I just though of something when you open the editor do you load the Civ III file or do you just start editing? If you make changes on a new file and not the orginal then your going to need to load up your edited file to use the units.
Sorry I can't be more specific but I'm at work and don't have the game with me to go through the process to give you a detailed answer.

alright I'll take the hind for example....

I followed the step by step instructions on the read me file. But that didn't include anything about the icon. So I copied and pasted the icon using paintbrush into units_32.

Here is the read me...
---
Step 1

Unzip file to '/Art/Units' folder.

---
Step 2

When you look at '/Art/Units' folder, you see two new folders. 'Hind' and 'Hind_files'.

Few steps here:
1. Open 'Hind_files' folder.
2. Copy 'HindLARGE.pcx' and 'HindSMALL.pcx' to '/Art/Civilopedia/Icons/Units' folder.

---
Step 3

1. Make backups for '/Text/Civilopedia.txt' and '/Text/PediaIcons.txt' files.
2. Open text editor (This instruction is for NoteTab Light editor).
3. Load from '/Art/Units/Hind_files' folder 'Hind_civilopedia.txt'and
'Hind_pediaicons.txt' files to editor.
4. Then load '/Text/Civilopedia.txt' and '/Text/PediaIcons.txt'.
5. Find in Civilopedia.txt row that says #PRTO_Helicopter.
6. Copy/Paste Hind_civilopedia.txt before #PRTO_Helicopter row. Make nesessary
blank rows after it. I thing its three blank rows. Save the file.
7. Find spot in Pediaicons.txt that contains last unit icons data. #End Units.
8. Copy/Paste Hind_pediaicons.txt right before #End Units.

---
Step 4

Now we go to Hacked Civilization editor. If you don't want add unit to stantard rules, make
sure you backup your 'civ3mod.bic' file. Found in Civilization root. One way is make it
scenario. Copy 'civ3mod.bic' to '/Scenarios' folder and name it what you like. When you
start new game press load scenario button in main menu and load your scenario.

1. Start editor and load .bic file where you want add new unit.
2. Make sure that in Tools menu Use Default Rules are unchecked.
3. Press Edit button and choose Unit page.
4. If you see Rename/Add/Delete button in right for unit name, you have correct version of
editor.
5. Now press Add button and give name of the new unit. In this case it's Mustang.

After all that I set up the Hind with the icon, and then tried to run civilization but it kept asking me to put the CD in.

How did you install some of the files?

Hmmm I remember something about icons and if you don't do them a certain way it causes game problems, did you add icons in the unit_32 for all the units you downloaded?

I added them for the Hind, and that was the only one at the time of that "insert cd" glitch that I tried to install.

As for the other ones, I gave up on trying to install them seeing how I couldn't even install the one with the most instructions =)

I just updated Civ with v1.21, For some reason my hacked editor isn't compatible with it, do you have a updated hack editor? If so where did you get it?

I don't if this will be anyhelp because I don't quite follow some of steps above but here goes. The pcx stuff isn't needed to play the game it's only used if look up the unit's info in the Civpedia. The units32 or whatever is only the icon in the city build list.

When you go in the editor and either 1) ADD the unit with the hacked editor of 2) rename an existing unit whatever name you gave the unit in the editor is the name of the unit's folder in the 'Art/Units' area. EXAMPLE: if you named the unit "Mustang" in the editor it will look for the .ini file in a folder named "Mustang" in 'Art/Units' and the .ini file must be named "Mustang.ini".

Thanks guys, when I get home tonight from classes I'll try a couple of these methods. I just can't wait after everything I've read about some of the units!!!

I tried what GhengisFarb said, I created a folder called Hind with the ini file in it. Then I created a new unit and named it Hind as well, as soon as I got to a point where I could build it, civlization had an error and I had to restart it.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom