Hemah

cypher132

Emperor
I recently read his Pedia entry and started wondering about the guy. Is there any more lore and info on the guy or is the Pedia entry it? Anything you guys can give me is greatly appreciated. :D

this is from the campaign/trivia thread:
Q - Danalin is dreaming, having nightmares. Who is he dreaming about?
A - Hemah

Hemah is probably the most interesting character in FFH for me. I wish his special ability represented his lore abilities, though. Even just giving him Chaos 3 seems more fitting than his Razor.

One of my favorite bits of lore about him is in the Beltane Cycle, when he is with Alazkan. Until I read that, I thought he was unsure of why crazy things kept happening around him. But his working with Alazkan shows that he is completely aware that he is the cause of everything bad that happens, and he knows it is because of his dreams. Interesting stuff. I am curious if Hemah himself ever made the connection between himself, the Overlords, and Danalin? Specifically in the DnD game Kael ran.

Hemah is probably the most interesting character in FFH for me. I wish his special ability represented his lore abilities, though. Even just giving him Chaos 3 seems more fitting than his Razor.

One of my favorite bits of lore about him is in the Beltane Cycle, when he is with Alazkan. Until I read that, I thought he was unsure of why crazy things kept happening around him. But his working with Alazkan shows that he is completely aware that he is the cause of everything bad that happens, and he knows it is because of his dreams. Interesting stuff. I am curious if Hemah himself ever made the connection between himself, the Overlords, and Danalin? Specifically in the DnD game Kael ran.

Yeah I like the idea of him using the incense to prevent dreaming too. And no, in the D&D games he never knew why his dreams became real.

Even in FfH I assume that he doesn't find out until late in life what is happening to him (probably as a result of some crazy zealot tracking him down and worshiping him). At the point that the Beltane Cycle takes place he doesn't have a connection to the Overlords.

You could find in the the civilopedia, starting in the Fawn entry and following the links to the others, or read it here if you prefer.

I have to admit I was disappointed to discover that he was responsible for the overlords, I don't know where I got the impression that the overlords were the ones whispering in Danalin's ear and had imperfect control over the strongest god.

Yes, but I tend to think that the unconscious actions of a god may be more powerful than those they consciously will, just like our subconscious minds can handle more than e can consciously. It is possible that being asleep make Danalin more powerful than he would be otherwise, but this power is undirected and uncontrolled.

I have to admit I was disappointed to discover that he was responsible for the overlords, I don't know where I got the impression that the overlords were the ones whispering in Danalin's ear and had imperfect control over the strongest god.

The only thing that has been officially stated is that Danalin is dreaming about Hemah. The rest is all community conjecture.

There is a lot of the water back story that is being kept intentionally murky. Its one of the few places where I know a lot more about what actually happened but Im not sharing (as opposed to the many areas that are open and I have no lore has been created). Sometimes holes are as interesting as lore and this is one place where I think the mystery is worth more than the truth.

Well, do you think you could tell us a little bit about them? A little information you're willing to share? All of the other religions make sense to me except OO so I never use them. If I knew more about them, maybe I would. Don't make have to say please. No one can resist a please.

If you don't reveal more information about the Overlords by the time the scenarios are done, I shall be forced to say "Ni" at you!

Well, do you think you could tell us a little bit about them? A little information you're willing to share? All of the other religions make sense to me except OO so I never use them. If I knew more about them, maybe I would. Don't make have to say please. No one can resist a please.

Why do you think the Overlords are supposed to make sense?

If you don't reveal more information about the Overlords by the time the scenarios are done, I shall be forced to say "Ni" at you!

:lol:

The only thing that has been officially stated is that Danalin is dreaming about Hemah. The rest is all community conjecture.

There is a lot of the water back story that is being kept intentionally murky. Its one of the few places where I know a lot more about what actually happened but Im not sharing (as opposed to the many areas that are open and I have no lore has been created). Sometimes holes are as interesting as lore and this is one place where I think the mystery is worth more than the truth.

wait a sec how can hemah be created from Danalin's dream's alone and not show the signs and diffrenes between a intelligent humaniod that is created by all the god and one who is made by only one? and how does he have the divine spark since he can use magic?

wait a sec how can hemah be created from Danalin's dream's alone and not show the signs and diffrenes between a intelligent humaniod that is created by all the god and one who is made by only one? and how does he have the divin spark since he can use magic?

Might be he is actually human, just one who happened to get caught in the center of Danalin's dream.
I personally like the air of mystery surrounding the overlords. It makes it easier to imagine them being just as strange and enigmatic at ground level. Plus, when I write about them, it leaves me with a lot of room surrounding their fundamental nature; I'm free to throw something at them and see if it sticks or bounces.

I kinda of like to think that in Hemah is Danalin--or rather the "Avatar" that Danalin takes in his dream--and thus he has the god's divine spark. In his dream Danalin does not realize the connection he has to his precept, and so his subconscious is freed from the restraints of a god's usual one dimensionality and is able to experience all things of all precepts.

I would suggest you ask the Overlords themselves where they came from, but there is no way you could keep your sanity if they told you.

My current theory is that the Overlords are, like the 4 Horsemen, manifestations of the gods' subconscious fears. They might however all be manifestations of the subconscious fears that the Danalin experiences in the form of Hemah, which are made much worse because of the whispers of Hastur and by the fact that he does not know the power he has to change the things he fears.

I must commend you for this. By filling all holes and dispelling all mysteries you would do us a disfavor. As much as I would like more content for the Compendium, at some point more knowledge only dispels the fantasy. It's also appropriate that we never know the mysteries of the deep, such as what changed Trenton's mind, or where the Overlords originate.

Back to Hemah, my take on it is that he's human, just affected by Danalin's dreams the same way his dreams work. I've wondered if his power is some sort of side effect, or if it's intentional on Hastur's part, if he is the schemin' type. Are the dreamers in Hannah's entry suffering from the same whispers as Hemah?

My current theory is that the Overlords are, like the 4 Horsemen, manifestations of the gods' subconscious fears. They might however all be manifestations of the subconscious fears that the Danalin experiences in the form of Hemah, which are made much worse because of the whispers of Hastur and by the fact that he does not know the power he has to change the things he fears.

I see the Overlords originating in the echoes of Hastur's whispers. I think it's a dark but beautiful thought, the sound and subliminal energy carrying through the deep like a whale's song. The Overlords' "clergy" are people exposed to this, which even as an echo is still devastating to the simple sanity of a mortal. Maybe it's because I've been editing too many environmental impact statements about the effects of underwater pile driving on salmonids and other marine life, but the thought of those echoes is awe inspiring to me.

OOH! just had an idea! what if the Overlords are the manifestation of the Aifon collective mind, kept in the world of the living after their death?

Top Bottom