Here in murica we speak English! Anything else is offensive!

ghostmaker650

Warlord
So Coca-Cola had an ad for the super bowl today. It's an ad in which it showcases the multitude of cultures who call the united states home, all the while the song America The Beautiful is being sung in the different languages of said cultures. I personally found the ad to be beautiful and very patriotic. I even felt proud to be American for a second. Until I saw the out cry from some of my fellow "Americans".

Apparently a lot of people took offence to such a song being sung in a foreign language. They call it disgraceful that Coca-Cola would do such a horrible disrespectful thing. All their arguments boil down to "this is murica! We speak English!". It disgust me and shames me that so many people would be so intolerant in this country. The people offended by such a message are a disgrace to themselves and this country. America, we welcome ALL people no mater race, color or creed, or language. Clearly not. What do you guys think?

TLDR; Nothing new here, move along.

Link to video.

I can't imagine what could possibly be more American than emotionally manipulative advertising.

I wondered if this was going to cause a controversy from the usual suspects. I really shouldn't have...

TLDR; Nothing new here, move along.
Indeed.

Does Coke hate this country, or what?

Coke features first gay family to appear in a Super Bowl ad

In the second quarter of the Super Bowl, Coke became the first advertiser to show a gay family in an ad for America's big game.

The snippet appeared as one of many vignettes in a sweeping ad that celebrated America's collection of diverse creeds, codes and individuals. In the five-second clip, two male partners and their daughter go roller-skating while a chorus of children sing "America the beautiful."

that Forma link said:
In the five-second clip, two male partners and their daughter go roller-skating while a chorus of children sing "America the beautiful."

Wow, so touching (no pun).

But i suppose they mean to help, they aren't after selling more 90% sugar sodas or any other detrimental plan either.

Just another sappy and kind of pompous Coke ad.
What is so pompous about recognizing and appreciating the ethnic diversity in this country?

Wow, so touching (no pun).

But i suppose they mean to help, they aren't after selling more 90% sugar sodas or any other detrimental plan either.

whynotboth.jpg

Loved it, they are cashing in on the Cheerios train. And to think employees were getting fired over their tweet, just look at the comments.

Loved it, they are cashing in on the Cheerios train. And to think employees were getting fired over their tweet, just look at the comments.

There are very, very few times I will subject myself to reading internet comments. This is NOT one of them.

What is so pompous about recognizing and appreciating the ethnic diversity in this country?
I was watching the Super Bowl with the fiftychat crew last night.
That commercial made me mute my livestream.

"What's with the singing children? Tone-deaf singing children!
Tone-deaf singing children want me to consume more corn-sirup. Because patriotism.
Oh, screw you!"

I guess the point is that the appreciation you mentioned is fine and justified and arguably overdue, but that it's not bleeping Coca-Cola's place.

I can't imagine what could possibly be more American than emotionally manipulative advertising.

Pah, it's not like we have a monopoly on that. Either that or we've been teaching people.

Spoiler :

I guess the point is that the appreciation you mentioned is fine and justified and arguably overdue, but that it's not bleeping Coca-Cola's place.

Are you kidding me? Something so "quintessentially American" as Coca-Cola that you feel you have a ready-made scathing put down with a stereotype of fatty fat McFat American, and you don't feel it's Coca-Cola's "place" to bring things up a notch from normal while peddling? What should they do, eh? Show a couple black kids in LA enjoying a drink of soda after robbing a liquor store? Or Hispanic kids taking a break from picking strawberries? Come on man.

I certainly think people take this too far, but on the other hand I don't really get why people get upset (dare I say, intolerant) at people who think English should be spoken in this country. Isn't the purpose of a melting pot to melt dissimilar substances into one homogenous substance? I don't think we should be asking people to give up their culture or language, and we should certainly celebrate the diversity that we have in this country, but I don't think it's asking too much for people who jump into a melting pot to actually melt.

I think more people were upset at the people upset about this add.

Especially with a song about how America should be bigger and more powerful, sung in multiple languages, featuring a product iconic of both Americana and economic imperialism. Seriously, does Toby Goddamn Keith need to ride on a bald frickin eagle to satisfy these folks?

How on earth does this convince me to drink a carbonated beverage? It has nothing to do with the thing it's selling.

Top Bottom