Here's a religion gripe and a question...

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
My capital gets taken over by another religion - BOOM! - just like that.

So I create a Prophet to get it back. WRONG. The Prophet doesn't spread MY religion, it spreads whatever is there.

That just seems wrong. Hey, it's MY PROPHET, he should be spreading MY RELIGION, not the usurper religion.

Here's the question: Other than now I'm getting different buffs (which their religion picked and not the ones I picked) do I really care if some other religion takes over my cities?

If it's your prophet, it shoudln't do that. I've blasted the AI's Holy City with my religion twice now and both times their prophets just brought it right back.

I have not had this happen sounds like a glitch

How did you "create a prophet"? You mean you created a missionary? A missionary is of the major religion of the city you created it from. So if your capital was taken over by another religion, then you purchased a missionary from your capital, you now have a missionary of the OTHER religion. Purchase a missionary from a city that still has your religion as its major religion.

Prophets are great people that result from reaching the next level of faith. You can't create them.

How did you "create a prophet"? You mean you created a missionary? A missionary is of the major religion of the city you created it from. So if your capital was taken over by another religion, then you purchased a missionary from your capital, you now have a missionary of the OTHER religion. Purchase a missionary from a city that still has your religion as its major religion.

Prophets are great people that result from reaching the next level of faith. You can't create them.

prophets are purchased once you build up enough faith, so there purchased the same as a missionary its pretty clear what he meant.

prophets are purchased once you build up enough faith, so there purchased the same as a missionary its pretty clear what he meant.

Uhm, no, they're not. You cannot go into a city screen and purchase a prophet. In fact, there is no UI option to purchase a prophet. You can wait around until you reach the next level and it will be purchased for you but he said he created it - an active verb - so I assume he meant a missionary.

Words mean things.

Uhm, no, they're not. You cannot go into a city screen and purchase a prophet. In fact, there is no UI option to purchase a prophet. You can wait around until you reach the next level and it will be purchased for you but he said he created it - an active verb - so I assume he meant a missionary.

Words mean things.
Uhm, yes they are. They can only be bought starting in the industrial age, though.

Words mean things.

That's so fail. :p

Post-industrial, the only way to get a great prophet is by buying one, in your city, by faith. Well, technically building a wonder or closing the Liberty tree also, but you don't automatically generate them.

I've never had my capital get converted (if it's an issue just keep an Inquisitor stationed there), but I'd assume that buying a great prophet would default to the dominant religion currently in the city. So in that scenario you'd basically be screwed, unless you had another city that was still your religion.

Why are you trying to use prophets (missionaries) for that anyway? That's what inquisitors are for.

But once his cities are all flipped, he'd have the same issue buying an Inquisitor.

But once his cities are all flipped, he'd have the same issue buying an Inquisitor.

But he didn't say all his cities had been turned. He said his capital city had been turned. I guess you just better make sure that you're fast enough and catch it in time to get some inquisitors out from other cities.

My capital gets taken over by another religion - BOOM! - just like that.

So I create a Prophet to get it back. WRONG. The Prophet doesn't spread MY religion, it spreads whatever is there.

That just seems wrong. Hey, it's MY PROPHET, he should be spreading MY RELIGION, not the usurper religion.

Here's the question: Other than now I'm getting different buffs (which their religion picked and not the ones I picked) do I really care if some other religion takes over my cities?

It spreads the dominant religion of the city it's created in - missionaries in Civ IV were the same deal, and the religion system in V is a lot more similar to the Civ IV one than it first appears. The problem is that Great Prophets spawn by default in the capital, so if that's been converted they'll naturally be spawned as prophets of that religion. That's a shame - they should probably change the system so that the prophet will spawn randomly in one of your cities with a religion, or let you choose which religion it belongs to when it appears and it will spawn in an appropriate city.

The solution is simple, you should have gotten the prophet from a city that still had your religion. You can't create a prophet from a strongly Jewish city and expect him to be Islamic.

Also, if you captured missionaries and use them, you spread the religion they are from and not your religion. Found that out the hard way and wasted an Inquisitor in the process...

You dont get the founder beliefs so you get sort of half the benefit from some one elses religion.

Yup hes a prophet the voice of god you can play bieber at him 24/7 he will not convert to a false religion ie yours.

It does make me wonder what the AI does with a captured Missionary/Prohet do they try and use them or just destroy them?

Simple rule if you see GP headed for your capital kill it

You dont get the founder beliefs so you get sort of half the benefit from some one elses religion.

Is there a way of seeing what benefits you get from another religion in your territory, or do you just have to work it out? I can't see anything in the religion summary that tells me what the other religions do - I'm notified about the pantheon beliefs everyone founds, but not the traits of the religions.

I had my holy city blown to kingdom come by Christianity (7 Christians, 2 of mine) and I spawned a great prophet and brought it right back to 9 of mine. Sounds like you hit a bug or something.

Not a bug - As others have said, if you buy a Great Prophet in your city that was converted it becomes a Great Prophet of the opposing faith. Buy it with faith in a city not converted to transform it back.

I had my holy city blown to kingdom come by Christianity (7 Christians, 2 of mine) and I spawned a great prophet and brought it right back to 9 of mine. Sounds like you hit a bug or something.

You spawned a great prophet, which by default would be your religion. Had you BOUGHT it from a city that didn't have your religion as the majority, he would have been from that other religion.

This is not a bug.

Top Bottom