Here's a Save I want you guys to look at:

ssmage

Warlord
I've been playing this game a bit and have run into a problem: Mafs. Mafs just from units being auto selected from upgrading them on the previous turn. I've moved along a bit just by saving the game after fortifying about 3 units, then saving again, but soon after that it Mafs. Viewing the game in task manager just says it's at 1.5 GB, so that isn't a problem. I find this weird just because it's on my turn and not end of turn for a Maf.

I'm running latest svn, ppio and the latitude mod for this map, if that is a issue.

Attachments

• C2C 1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    5 MB · Views: 174
I've been playing this game a bit and have run into a problem: Mafs. Mafs just from units being auto selected from upgrading them on the previous turn. I've moved along a bit just by saving the game after fortifying about 3 units, then saving again, but soon after that it Mafs. Viewing the game in task manager just says it's at 1.5 GB, so that isn't a problem. I find this weird just because it's on my turn and not end of turn for a Maf.

I'm running latest svn, ppio and the latitude mod for this map, if that is a issue.
How much RAM do you have?
Also you should be in Ancient era, did you reduce research times?

Did few turns and no crashes happened.

Last edited:
Please post computer specs. Laptop or PC?

Laptop, Asus g55vw, 32 GB ram. windows 10. nvidia geoforce gtx 660m. anything else?

Also, Civ 4 is installed on a SSD, if that is a problem.

Last edited:
I don't know what the problem with this is but perhaps some newer systems aren't as good with the older EXE base. We didn't see this happening until Industrial era on my wife's computer but her older one seems to handle it better than the new one she just got so there could be some very mysterious deep computer science based explanation that will be very hard to diagnose because we can't see the EXE here. All the minidumps I got from her that had any data showed the crash in the EXE and so I couldn't see anything further. But it sounds similar to this report. I don't suspect the SSD but I honestly don't know what to suspect. One thing that might have helped her a little was Joe's earlier advice to re-install DirectX 9 - won't override the version you have and may fill in some gaps. That SEEMED to earn her an extra round before a MAF for a little bit. Reducing graphics settings to as low as possible but maintaining unit animations so they still look like they are supposed to did also help a little. But I saw different crash manifestations taking place so there may be different reasons. I'll be continuing to review the code for potential mem leaks, next in units. Maybe something is to blame somewhere there. But overall it's very hard to say what the root problem actually is with these. I guess I'm not enough of a wizard to have this sorted out yet.

I don't know what the problem with this is but perhaps some newer systems aren't as good with the older EXE base. We didn't see this happening until Industrial era on my wife's computer but her older one seems to handle it better than the new one she just got so there could be some very mysterious deep computer science based explanation that will be very hard to diagnose because we can't see the EXE here. All the minidumps I got from her that had any data showed the crash in the EXE and so I couldn't see anything further. But it sounds similar to this report. I don't suspect the SSD but I honestly don't know what to suspect. One thing that might have helped her a little was Joe's earlier advice to re-install DirectX 9 - won't override the version you have and may fill in some gaps. That SEEMED to earn her an extra round before a MAF for a little bit. Reducing graphics settings to as low as possible but maintaining unit animations so they still look like they are supposed to did also help a little. But I saw different crash manifestations taking place so there may be different reasons. I'll be continuing to review the code for potential mem leaks, next in units. Maybe something is to blame somewhere there. But overall it's very hard to say what the root problem actually is with these. I guess I'm not enough of a wizard to have this sorted out yet.
Maybe reinstall windows 7?

That is Windows 10 is partially incompatible with game unlike Windows 7.
If you rightlick exe, then somewhere in properties should be something called "Compatibility mode" and "launch program in compatibility mode with:" menu.
I have Windows 7, so it may be worded differently in windows 10.

If you rightlick exe, then somewhere in properties should be something called "Compatibility mode" and "launch program in compatibility mode with:" menu.
This one was never equipped with Win 7. But you might be right that the platform itself is causing a bit of a bother with Gamebryo somewhere.

Unfortunately, this did not prove to be an effective approach as it only causes the game to MAF crash on opening for all compatibility settings attempted. Good idea though, thanks for the suggestion.

Win 10 also like to mess with Admin privileges with every major update they do. Just had another update recently that did not finish because it changed the metering settings I had on my PC. I had to find and remove the limits completely so it could finish. During that time it had an effect on my keyboard were the Num Lock and Cap Lock would not register by activating the led that they were either Off or On. Plus it would not complete the Update Net framework 3.5 nor 4.0 until after I removed the metering limit. Then I had 3 major items finish their D/Ls and then install. Finally!

Microsoft seems to think their operating system is only for Andriods, Ipads and tablets any more and are really screwing up PC's and some Laptops by adding in coding for those mobile devices that can overwrite the PC/Laptop settings. Then you have to dig into the Settings and Security sections and change them back. Frustratingly bad decision making by Microsoft.

They are in your Settings. And they deal with the problem of you Maybe being on a set data limit for D/Ls, like many phones normal limits. And it took some digging thru the various areas and then advanced options to even find it. I do not remember the exact path. But once I removed the Limit then my Update could finish properly.

Top Bottom