1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Here's the murder you didn't hear about

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DBear, Jun 2, 2009.

1. DBear

DBear unbeliever

While the George Tiller killing thread has gone to double digit pages by now, I see nothing on this killing that occured the same day.

Hmmm, I wonder why? [/sarc] Could it be that asking questions about this particular killing would not suit the current administration's goals and purposes?

At the end of the day, I believe a Muzzie killing an American soldier is more important than shooting a self-professed late-term abortionist.

2. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

I think he was likely defending himself from future harm at the hands of the American government. I mean, Muslim converts in America are highly suspect already.

3. Mylon

Mylon Amateur Game Designer

The suspect in this story shoot the soldier in a matter that was totally unprovoked. This was a pre-meditated act with no question about how the suspect should be treated.

Granted, his reasoning is on par with Bush's reasoning for the pre-emptive strike on Iraq (the soldier _might_ go and kill a muslim!), but there's nothing about the "heat of the moment" to account for poor reasoning.

This might give a talking point about how Muslims feel repressed, or about how the religion of Islam is a violent religion after all, but this particular case isn't as noteworthy and precedent setting.

4. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

Where'd you get "the current administration" from? What does Obama or his cabinet or the government have to do with this particular murder?

And, if there are news articles you want discussed, you should post them like you did here.

5. Aegis

Aegis Deity

Since when does the Obama administration have full control of all the media outlets, including the foreign ones?

6. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

I saw this on Yahoo's front page, MSNBC, Dailykos, and various other places. At the end of the day, the two murders are very similar in that you have violent religious nutcases who are twisted enough to kill.

7. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Any population will contain evil people. 1% of people are what common people would consider 'sociopathic'. 1% of people are schizophrenic. 0.01% of people are violent schizophrenics.

If you've got a group of a million people, then you can expect a certain number of them to be nasty people. A few of them are nutters.

If there are a million Muslims in the US, you expect 10,000 of them to be sociopaths. If there are a million Christians, same thing. Million liberals, same thing.

It's when the violence raises above this level of noise that there's something to worry about.

8. Azale

Azale Deity

Yea, instead of sitting around so you could whine about the grave injustices of the world, you could have made it yourself.

Thanks for tagging your dripping sarcasm, I would not have caught it otherwise. Also, what exactly about this current administration makes it kosher to ignore this story? Are you just pulling things out of thin air?

That doctor saved more lives than that American soldier, if we're going down that road.

9. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

I don't think this is a fair implication here. Schizophrenia is a way different problem than the "evil" of sociopathy.

10. Syterion

Syterion Voodoo Economist

1 percent is way too high for average sociopathy, El. Or at least, I hope. It just seems ridiculously high. Anyway, I don't know if you, DBear, think "Muzzie" is funny or something, but at the end of the day, you're a douchebag.

11. bigdog5994

bigdog5994 Lady Day

i've been seeing this on cnn and fox news all day today and yesterday

12. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

I think a citizen engaging in what amounts to treason givin his stated motivations is far greater news that a private citizen engaging in a personal vendetta against another.

13. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Yeah, but who wants to read about the birthers all day?

14. Azale

Azale Deity

Treason is just as bad as domestic terrorism to me.

15. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I shouldn't have used sociopathy, it's too clinical and was not accurate. I should have used the longer term "1% of people are huge jerks who are quite willing to hurt people to benefit themselves, and they cannot be swayed from hurting people by reasoned empathy". The kind of dick who will punch you for dancing with his girlfriend. The kind of dick who will rob an old lady for pocket cash.

And you're right, schizophrenics aren't evil. I included them without proper context. They're, well, crazy. So, expect 1% of a population to be potentially crazy. I've dealt with the sociopathic schizophrenics, and it's hard to not think of them as evil. In common parlance, they are.

16. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

"Muzzies"? Really?

17. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

Most people in the civilian world don't get a hard-on when the word treason is tossed around.

18. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

I would like the OP poster to answer this question too.

19. Shadylookin

Shadylookin master debater

hmm I heard about it on cnn.

I'll never understand why people say "look the media will never cover this because they hate the truth" and then post a link about the incident written by the Associated Press hosted on a huge corporate news site.

20. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

Goddamn Muzzies!