Hero Units

xmen510

Emperor
This thread is for discussing Hero Units, now that Leaders/King Units have been finalized.

Hero Units:

Spoiler :
  • Quendi:
    • Noldor:
      • House of Fingolfin:
        • Heroes: Glorfindel
      • House of Fëanor:
        • Heroes: "Sons of Fëanor" * Special
    • Teleri:
      • Heroes: Eärwen (Daughter of Olwe, Mother of Galadriel)
    • Sindar:
      • Heroes: Legolas
    • Vanyar:
      • Heroes: Indis
  • Good Men:
    • Númenor:
      • Heroes: Valandil
    • Arnor:
      • Heroes: Halbarad
    • Gondor
      • Heroes: Boromir
    • Edain:
      • Heroes: Beren
  • Neutral Men:
    • Rohirrim:
      • Heroes: Éomer
    • Northmen [Dale and Beornings]:
      • Heroes: Brand
    • Dunlending:
      • Heroes: Wulf
    • Isengard:
      • Heroes: Grima Wormtongue
  • Evil Men:
    • Haradrim:
      • Heroes: Castamir
    • Easterling:
      • Heroes: Brodda
    • Angmar:
      • Heroes: Eärnur
  • Shadow:
    • Mordor:
      • Heroes: The Mouth Of Sauron
    • Angband:
      • Heroes: Glaurung
  • Khazâd:
    • Longbeard:
      • Heroes: Gimli
    • Broadbeams & Firebeards:
      • Heroes: Gamil Zirak
Removed Captains as Units because that is actually a Promotion for Regular/Unique Units.

I assumed we would go with Heroes, Kings and Captains, but captains would be unnamed (that is, you can promote one of your high level regular units to captain (minlevel 6 or so). Naming captains can be done, but wouldn't they be simply another type of hero then?

Will comment on the names later today.

Now I'm confused.
What I meant was: You build an axeman, this axeman sees a lot of battle and gets enough experience to reach level 6. When he does, he can upgrade so Captain (provided you researched the tech which enables them, and haven't yet reached your national unit limit (4 I would say)). Captains can not be build, only upgraded to. Captains have a few promotions that are only available to them, besides the other benefits the captains have.

Heroes cannot be upgraded to and they won't upgrade to anything. They have the hero promotion and get automatic xp (until a certain number, 100xp in FFH). The hero promotion also enables some other promotions not available otherwise (or harder to get otherwise, eg. normally you need Combat 5 for Commando, but the Hero promo is sufficient as well (only an example, not a proposal))

King units get the King promotion (similar to the hero promotion, but enabling a different set of promos and this way we can make one get xp faster then the other).

There can/should be overlap between the promotions enabled by being Captain/Hero/King, but some should preferably be unique to one of them.

From Childrern of Hurin;

Glaurung -> Angband
Hunthor -> Haleth
Azaghal -> Belegost Dwarves?
Brandir -> Haleth
Melian -> Sindar
Sador -> Hador
Brodda -> Easterlings

No, Melian is a Maia, like Gandalf. I think she must be add. A Leader or Hero. :)

I beieve we are thinking along the lines of a Project you build lets say is called "Guidance of the Istari". You then get to choose 1 of the Istari to use from Gandalf, Radagast, Palladno & Alatar. Not Saruman because he is already a Leader. A special Istari unit is given to you. The project can be built 4 times.

On the heroes: are we going to have 1 hero per civ? Maybe we should keep it at that. What we could do is make leader <--> hero couples, meaning if you choose a leader you might get a diferent hero. Example: For Arnor if you start with Elendil you get hero called Anarion and if you choose Aragorn you get Halbared. Just a thought. Otherwise we should limit the list of leaders per civ or set a maximum or maybe balance them (some have 2 or 3 but they are less good or only come later).

I would go with the last option (some can have more, but are either less effective or later in the game).

I like those ideas. Some are going to only be able to have 1, unless we can come up with some more names. Other than that though, Perhaps a limit of 3 Heroes, no matter what? So you would have 1 Main Hero and 2 Lesser Heroes.

I deffinately like linking the Heroes to the Leaders.

I would also aim for one hero per civ for the first release to make things easy for ourselves. There should be room for exceptions though and we can add more for a second release, taking time to balance them nicely.

Top Bottom