Heroes of Hopeville

Naturally, I support myself and ask my listeners to support me tomorrow as well. I know, I'm the only woman competing, but ask yoursef: Who would you rather have as Mayor? Myself, Iron Patriot, or Mr. Sunshine?
Oi! I take offense to Orbit not being mentioned. :(

Oi! I take offense to Orbit not being mentioned. :(

Rest assured, the slight was intentional on Crystal's part. Probably related to your history with the Forgotten.

edit: Due to a sudden change of plans at my college's behest, I have to be on the road at 8 AM on August 9th. Since that be true, we'll have the Mayoral Contest mission tomorrow at 5-5:30 PM EST (Greenwich -5). I'll try to respond to everyone's PMs by late this afternoon.

Rest assured, the slight was intentional on Crystal's part. Probably related to your history with the Forgotten.

edit: Due to a sudden change of plans at my college's behest, I have to be on the road at 8 AM on August 9th. Since that be true, we'll have the Mayoral Contest mission tomorrow at 5-5:30 PM EST (Greenwich -5). I'll try to respond to everyone's PMs by late this afternoon.

Um...will I need to be there? Won't be home until a bit after 9 tomorrow.

Um...will I need to be there? Won't be home until a bit after 9 tomorrow.

Hmm. I'd prefer to have everyone I can. How about we try for the 9th, then? Barring the unforeseen, that should be the last day I can do things before I vanish for a few weeks.

I have to admit, tomorrow would be a rather bad date for me as well. If it was really necessary, I could probably be there, but I'd prefer that we do it on the 9th.

9th would work perfectly, so would the 7th. Can't make Wednesday or Friday though :/

7th would be perfect for me, but I'm trying to avoid conflicting with Plot Ages. I'm 85% sure I can do the 9th, but it's still after the threshold of certainty.

7th would be perfect for me, but I'm trying to avoid conflicting with Plot Ages. I'm 85% sure I can do the 9th, but it's still after the threshold of certainty.

I feel really bad for constantly saying Thursdays, because the fact that Plot Ages runs on Thursdays always slips my mind...

[*]Headshot: An attack with a ranged weapon that increases to-hit by +5 and adds one-half of the weapon damage as a bonus. Requires 8 AIM, usable once per mission (4SP)

[*]Quiet Killer: 3SP for +2 to Stealth, and double to-hit and +5 Damage when attacking an opponent who hasn't detected you

Purchased. Skilled Marskman and Set Up were scrubbed for 2 extra SP total, which have alrwady been spent.

Several missions ago, I purchased 1/10 DR, but forgot to post it. I subtracted the necessary SP when I edited my OP, so my current total is correct.

’What am I doing?’ I asked myself for the third time in as many minutes.

The desk in the office – my desk in my office, I suppose – was probably more expensive than all of my worldly belongings put together. If one were to include the pieces of art – although I was rather hesitant to call the marble statuettes of nude women art – which the previous Mayor had placed when the desk was his, it would certainly compare favorably to everything my family and I had ever owned.

I gritted my teeth. My family. I had accepted their death years ago, but most of my personality could be traced back to their murder.

Back to the moment where I had created the persona of Orbit and run away from the name I’d worn before, because it had been too painful to be Vicente Rey. For a while, the only thing that kept me from doing a suicide-run against The Forgotten’s Headquarters had been Orbit’s dream as well – to create a place where those with superpowers could live without having to look over their shoulders for members of The Forgotten, or other anti-superpower groupings.

While sighing softly, I shook my head. As many dreams are wont to be, this dream was just a collection of half-formed and often unfeasible ideas. A few months ago, I had realized that while people like Alan are certainly a threat to those with superpowers, most of their followers are merely those who need someone to blame their problems on.

And given the de facto-embargo by the US and USSR, there are plenty of people with problems.

Again, I sighed.

The Forgotten would probably expect me to outlaw them and pursue them with all the resources available to me – I still had no idea about the extent, but I suppose that I would find out soon – and hunt them down until I’ve executed their leaders. A few months ago, I would probably have done exactly that.

I had never actually expected to win. I had wanted to prevent Carson from winning – first because The Forgotten was backing her, and then because she had superpowers, and were nevertheless conspiring with the Forgotten – which meant that my thoughts had all been revolving around how to ensure that she lost the ‘election’.

With a snort and a shake of my head, I wondered just how Hopeville ended up with gladiatorial combat determining its Mayor. I suppose that I should be grateful. I knew that I was horrible with crowds, so the chances of my winning an actual election would be nonexistent.

I found myself wondering how I could best avoid talking to crowds and the press, and shook my head, a small smile on my lips. That had been my answer to a lot of problems since my family died – running away, starting when I ran away after my family was killed, rather than stay and mourn them properly.

Becoming Orbit had been running away too, I suppose – running away from the sorrow and self-doubt that would have crushed Vicente Ray. Orbit was supposed to have been a strong, charismatic leader of superheroes. A herald who would bring with him a new era for superheroes, one where they could live without fearing groups like The Forgotten, because the public would know what they did.

That had been why I joined the Justice Guild – not really with the intent of infiltrating the Guild and becoming the leader, but more trying to make them a proof of concept of Orbit’s dream. I had wanted to prove that a team of superheroes could defend and inspire the city, and earn the goodwill of the people.

But now, I had another responsibility – running the city instead of just defending it.

A few months ago, I suppose that I would have tried to find a way to avoid the responsibility. Leaving for missions with the Guild every other day, or something like that, probably.

I walked over to one of the windows, and looked out at the city that I was now to govern, and shook my head. 'No,' I promised myself, 'I will no longer run away, avoiding my responsibilities by hiding behind Orbit.'

My name is Vicente Ray, the Mayor of Hopeville, and I will make this city a better place.

Top Bottom