Hey, A Question Regarding Vox Populi

Guvenoren

Chieftain
Hello! I have played with Vox Populi for a bit. Made certain things funnier, certain things more confusing for me.
I admit, I am not really good at these games. I just find these types of games facinating.

Now, I wonder if it would be possible to play Vox Populi with only the civ bonuses? Or are they very linked together? I just want some minor enhancements rather than the total overhaul this mod provides.

I might be asking for the impossible, but I just wonder if I can.

Have a good one!

Only some minor enhancements? There is the vanilla version of vox populi that you can enable, but it's totally broken at the moment

You can try pulling the SQL out of the Balance Changes files and wrapping it in your own mod with its own .modinfo.

You can try pulling the SQL out of the Balance Changes files and wrapping it in your own mod with its own .modinfo.

So, I have never actually modded for Civ5. I am the definition of raw on that.

Oh. I don't think you can do that without altering the game files, so you'll have to change some stuff. Or you can ask someone for that, but I doubt anyone will want to do that
I suppose the community here is rather evasive regarding helping?

Hello! I have played with Vox Populi for a bit. Made certain things funnier, certain things more confusing for me.
I admit, I am not really good at these games. I just find these types of games facinating.

Now, I wonder if it would be possible to play Vox Populi with only the civ bonuses? Or are they very linked together? I just want some minor enhancements rather than the total overhaul this mod provides.

I might be asking for the impossible, but I just wonder if I can.

Have a good one!

Not possible.

I suppose the community here is rather evasive regarding helping?

You underestimate how much work this would be. Additionally, few if any other players would use it.

Not possible.

Got it, thanks!

You underestimate how much work this would be. Additionally, few if any other players would use it.

No no, That's not what I mean. It's just that "Bruhmoment" made it sound like in a negative light, hence why I wanted to ask if it was often that modders were evasive in helping. It was not a complaint, just digging for why he said that.

Completely understand that it is daunting.

Got it, thanks!

No no, That's not what I mean. It's just that "Bruhmoment" made it sound like in a negative light, hence why I wanted to ask if it was often that modders were evasive in helping. It was not a complaint, just digging for why he said that.

Completely understand that it is daunting.
Technically, I wasn't wrong with them not helping :)

Exactly, I was more interested to know the nature of why they wouldn't want to! Nothing wrong on your part.
it would be a gargantuan amount of work to do something that only you would use. Furthermore, it is probably something only you could decide and communicate to yourself what it is that you even want to do. “Only civ bonuses” doesn’t tell other people what it is you want to do, because they covers hundreds of small decisions. A lot of the base buildings have been changed, the tech tree has been overhauled, there are components and mechanics that don’t exist in the base game, and the unique components of many civs would be altered if you changed the base game around them. Thus, you would need deep knowledge of both the VP mechanics and the base game mechanics in order to decide what changes, where, and by how much, in order to start selectively reverting things.

For example, the Stable is a classical era building in base ciV, but it’s a medieval building in VP. It is much stronger in VP as well, and Poland’s Ducal Stable was made much stronger too, so that it could match.

For some perspective on the effort involved, I would guess that I could do a language pack for VP, converting all the text in the mod into French in about the same amount of time.

Last edited:
it would be a gargantuan amount of work to do something that only you would use. Furthermore, it is probably something only you could decide and communicate to yourself what it is that you even want to do. “Only civ bonuses” doesn’t tell other people what it is you want to do, because they covers hundreds of small decisions. A lot of the base buildings have been changed, the tech tree has been overhauled, there are components and mechanics that don’t exist in the base game, and the unique components of many civs would be altered if you changed the base game around them. Thus, you would need deep knowledge of both the VP mechanics and the base game mechanics in order to decide what changes, where, and by how much, in order to start selectively reverting things.

For example, the Stable is a classical era building in base ciV, but it’s a medieval building in VP. It is much stronger in VP as well, and Poland’s Ducal Stable was made much stronger too, so that it could match.

For some perspective on the effort involved, I would guess that I could do a language pack for VP, converting all the text in the mod into French in about the same amount of time.

Cheers, i accept that it is not an easy thing to just do. I will skip on thus idea. To add some detail, by civ bonuses i meant leader bonuses, like, +1 movement for naval units for england kind of bonus.

I dont think i asked for anyone to do it for me. No idea where you people get that from.
I could do the work myself. I just dont like the other changes in vox populi, but i like the leader bonuses. I just wanna know if it is possible, since i have not modded for civ before.

So, I have never actually modded for Civ5. I am the definition of raw on that.
There is a (2) Vox Populi\Balance Changes\Leaders folder with all of the changes to Civilizations. You can start looking through the files in that folder and figure out what you want to keep from it. From it sounds like, you would delete anything to do with Unique Buildings and Unique Units.

Then you can use the plethora of resources on this website to make your own modmod.
with your modded SQL files.

There is a (2) Vox Populi\Balance Changes\Leaders folder with all of the changes to Civilizations. You can start looking through the files in that folder and figure out what you want to keep from it. From it sounds like, you would delete anything to do with Unique Buildings and Unique Units.

Then you can use the plethora of resources on this website to make your own modmod.
with your modded SQL files.

At the moment, it still wouldn't be possible even if he did this, because of the DLL changes. For example, some unique abilities won't work if a CustomModOption isn't enabled - but enabling the CustomModOption also enables other balance changes. The defines in the DLL are a mess, and though it's slowly being cleaned up, it'll be a while before separating leader bonuses would work.

Huh i see.

Its an easy misconception to think that the base game is a "clean" game, no the Vanilla/BNW code is a mess and apart from all the balance changes, the VP team have also done a huge amount of clean up.
The difference is ... the team who built the game had deadlines and limited budgets.
VP team who do this for free doesnt have a time limit, have tried to solve a few things at a time. and have been doing this for years.
So to cherry pick a few of the balance changes doesnt make sense when you realise how big this project is today.

Its an easy misconception to think that the base game is a "clean" game, no the Vanilla/BNW code is a mess and apart from all the balance changes, the VP team have also done a huge amount of clean up.
The difference is ... the team who built the game had deadlines and limited budgets.
VP team who do this for free doesnt have a time limit, have tried to solve a few things at a time. and have been doing this for years.
So to cherry pick a few of the balance changes doesnt make sense when you realise how big this project is today.

Its too bad many of those fixes are bundled up into an overhaul that may not be up to everyones taste.

Unless you are strictly talking about the community patch which i really really wish i could play without dlcs or expansions. I really wish i could play the base game with the community patch.

The community patch uses the expansion 2 (BNW) DLL. It would be an impossible ask to play the base game with community patch.

The community patch uses the expansion 2 (BNW) DLL. It would be an impossible ask to play the base game with community patch.

Yeah, but a man can wish. I actually dont like a lot of features in tge expansions. I actually found myself enjoying the simple social policy system and tge utopia project. I likes that there were no religions. I am so so about espoinage and the court system feels too confusing and less fun.

I admit, i am no oldtimer like likely many here are and i started playing tgis game at, like, 2020. So i decided recently to learn abou tge game more, i reduced to play with no expansions. I actually liked the simplicity, but there seem to lack fix mods that are compaitable with vanilla.

Top Bottom