Hey All!--Newb questions :D

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Alpha0meqa, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Alpha0meqa

Alpha0meqa Chieftain

I'm not gonna ask how to play, I'd like to figure it out on my own I guess. I was wondering which would be the best civ for me to choose. I'm about to engage in my first game:D Thx all!

2. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Go with Julius Caesar.

Praetorians are just that cool.

3. Fetch

Fetch When in doubt, reboot.

Agree. That way you *KNOW* you won't get wiped out by the AI. Start on settler or warlord difficulty.

4. sand

sand under the sun

i disagree Praetorians are good but with your first games they won't be used that much. i would recommend gandi spiritual is good for begginers because of no anarchy and a good chance you will found a religion.fat workers are also good for begginers.

5. Penguin?

Penguin? Chieftain

yeah they sit around and eat sandwiches all day and make YOU do the digging :lol:

P:king:

6. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

i thought they were Phat Worker...Pretty Hot And Tempting

7. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Americans are strong civ in many respects although the UU is a long time coming.

8. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

If you start off on warlord or lower difficutly it doesn't really matter which Civ you pick - so pick something that looks fun to you.

9. Legio X

Legio X Chieftain

The first time I played I got stressed due to the fact that everyone else seemed to have lots of new, cool, troops that surrounded my lands - while I still had barbarians. So try to keep up a general tech line, and don't just spend it on culture or military. I've noticed thanks to playing some games now and then after reading on this board that generally it serves your purpose as a beginner to try and level out the techs. Even though a cultural victory is easier than a military victory, if you ask me.

10. Willem

Willem Deity

Go Random, you'll learn more about how the different traits and UUs work.

11. shivute

shivute Prince

I would start with Napoleon. Industrial is superb for your first few games because you will want to build as many wonders as you can.
    Also his aggresive trait will help you deal with barbs and early combat as your units will be stronger. It is also easier to build a barracks. Unit training is also fun to learn.

I would then play a few games as Saladin. This would be to concentrate on the Spiritual trait and to found some religions and build temples and monasteries - learn the benefit of a state religion but also having other religions in your cities. Switching civics can also be learned here. You can switch to a new civic to see its benefits and switch back after a few turns if it doesn't appeal, with no anarchy.
    Saladin also has philosophical - you can easier recruit great people and discover their different uses and benefits as well. (this was the bit that stumped me for a while about civ 4)
    Saladins traits are brilliant as I find they complement each other perfectly. I just wish his UU was better!

12. cabert

cabert Big mouth

i would go for a spiritual leader to begin with

Incas are good, with queshuas helping you to survive the early stages.

13. Nanzook

Nanzook Chieftain

Gandhi lower then nobel you cant lose even if you put every thing on auto. Kinda lame really but you can flip all of your civics and test them all for free giving you better understanding of how they work. Plus you get the 50% wonder reduction because of industrial trait so you get to see lots of the wonder pics.

Thats in my experince. Really though it is kinda lame because you will win no matter how bad you do. So whats the point of even playing the game.

Play around with it I suppose is a better strat to get to know the game. More importantly read these forums for stratagie and soon you will be playing noble.

Otherwise just do the tutorial and play it out starts with Romans I believe.

Really any civ is good just make sure you have some warriors in all your cities.
    Once your familiar with the game disregard anything anyone says in this thread. Including this.

Have fun there are endless ways to approach the game. Dozens of ways to win the game.

14. Atropos

Atropos Beware my geekhood

Wow, lots of suggestions. Catherine is a very popular leader (in many senses...) I'd do some reading up first though. It's horribly easy to get into bad habits on the lowest levels. Start with noble if you can.

15. cabert

cabert Big mouth

if you don't know the basics, it's good to have an easy game to shuffle through.
    you need to understand :
    - food/hammers/commerce : growing cities that bring production and commerce
    - sliders : balance between science / gold / culture
    - culture? how do i get to work that tile?
    - science? what do i research?
    - gold? what good is this?
    - civics : use the right ones in each moment
    - units : which ones? how many? which promotions?
    - Great persons? how do i get those? what for?

i didn't even mention ressources, cottage growing, chopping, ...

If you want a feeling for the game, and never played civ 1,2 or 3, you'd better start a settler game and play it to the end.
    After that you read the forums, and try to understand what all those crazy folks are talking about.

16. senwiz

senwiz Prince

I think everyone has their favorite leader. Mine is Bismarck. That stated, my suggestion is that you try the different combinations: Spiritual, Creative, Industrious, etc. See what works for you.

Try the various leaders in combination with your strategy and see if they mesh. If not...Try another one. I started out playing Egypt, went to Russia, India, Rome, and then Germany.

The more leaders you play, the more you will learn about the game, to begin with. Also, you get a feeling for the AI and how it plays the game as well. No information that you can gleen from these early games is bad...It will only help you in the long run. ;)

17. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

By the way, if you're totally new to Civ, play through the tutorial at least once, probably twice.

18. Conquestador

Conquestador Chieftain

I will suggest any creative leader for the first games so you won't have the trouble of thinking how to expand the borders of your empire and can focus on other game mecanics.
    My preferred chiches would be Catherine Or Kublai Khan.
    After a few games you should try different leader for learn different strategies.

19. Andorim

Andorim Warlord

I like Freddie. Hattie isn't bad either. Once you have the hang of the game, try each leader at least once.

20. Alpha0meqa

Alpha0meqa Chieftain

I made a post with my first game results included..I can't believe how easy it was though.....Like I ALWAYS had more technology than everyone else....I had tanks when some were just getting early guns.....Please leave me feedback if you can on how I did:D

And thanks for all this wonderful advice!!! I appreciate it a whole lot:D