Hi all! i'm a newcomer, with a question...

admiral prune

Chieftain
First i have to say that i'm very happy to see that there are still some active communities around that fantastic game.

I played it on my Apple computer 9 years ago and had a lot of fun with it :rolleyes:

I later shifted to PC and forgot a bit about it until recently.
I eventually realized that CIV II was still for sale at a bargain price .

Guess what ... I bought it :goodjob:

Problem is that the game won't start on my Computer.
I'm using Millenium and i haven't found so far any info pertaining to installation problems with this OS.

I really need your help as i feel very frustrated

:cry:

Have you got some more information?
When you explain "it won't start", is it because nothing happens, or do you get an error message, or is it starting to launch and then crashes?

Without other data, I would think you may have a wrong installation (or maybe need to download the latest patch) or a video problem.

Hi TiTi!

thanks for answering my message.

well in fact installation is supposed to be successful... but then it does not start at all. it causes an error and a prompt says that the program is going to be stopped or something.

it goes something like "Civ2 caused an error..." :scan:

I have deletted all(?) the civ2 files i found on my computer (Civ2 not appearing BTW in the remove programs list...

I know it's old but still. :confused:

Titi I can now confirm that the error message i get is more or less.

Civ2 caused an error in civ2exe.
The program is going to be terminated.
If you go on having this problem try to reboot...

(translated from French...) :crazyeye:

Well, read the civ2faq.txt, it seems that some video cards are not compatible. Is yours one of them?

i'll read the txt file i haven't so far... using a FX5600.

The copy of civII i have is sold in France under a label called "replay" it is a low price pack (9€).

I guess it is the bare initial version.

First off, Thanks all for taking care.

--------------------------------------------

This is to summarize what i have donne so far:

i first tried to install the game from the setupexe in the main folder on the disc.

did not work.

from there i tried to "patch" it with latest Indeo 5 soft that i got from the net and actually could also be found in the main folder on the disc under a folder called indeo... :blush:

did not work

it then tried to install the civ exe direct from the civ folder(within the main folder on the disk ) and then installed indeo 5 separately as i believe the game uses indeo 4 as a standard and WinG from the WinG folder.

did not work either.

I consistently get civII caused an error in civII.exe when i try to launch the game although my installations are always "successful"... :rolleyes:

I'm thinking, maybe it's a problem with the sound. I'm not entirely sure how that could be fixed, but try renaming the Civ2 sound folder.

Oh, and yes, it is correct that civ2 doesn't appear in the add/remove programs list. Civ2 is originally from the Windows 3.1 days. To uninstall completely, you simply have to remove the civ2 folder, the civ2 shortcuts in the start menu and the civ.ini file in your windows folder (C:\WINDOWS, probably).

Andu Indorin said:
a knockoff (Test of Time, etc). ...

You heathen! :mad:

Thanks Mercator ("cosmographer" hey? gee... this shines!)

I realized that i forgot to clean the ini file in my windows folder.

I'm going to start from a clean install. :scan:

admiral prune said:
now using my civII disc as a freesbee!

:crazyeye:

Blasphemy!!!

A better option would be to frisbee with your windoze cd and get a different version... Even downgrading to 98 second edition would be worth it :D
Or WinXP, runs smoothly here..
Everything is better than frisbeeing with a CivII cd

DvR said:
Even downgrading to 98 second edition would be worth it :D
Or WinXP, runs smoothly here..
Everything is better than frisbeeing with a CivII cd

I fully agree! For both sentences!

I upgraded from Me :mad: to XP after less than 3 months of Me!

@admiral Prune: which leads me to ask if you have updated your drivers and also your Windows OS?
Another thing that comes to my mind: before my Win2K crashed on my laptop, I had regular messages like the one you describe. I'm not quite sure if that has to do with the HD getting weak, or some defrag or download doing a wrong operation, but everything went back to normal after a full install (hopefully I had backups of my important files!)

no i haven't is this patch an official one?
or a patch developped by the community?

I'm tryng it without launching the game before applying the patch and I'll see what happens...

I'm sorry for taking your attention so much.
Net ressources are not many when you try playing an old game on an old computer... :sad:

admiral prune said:
no i haven't is this patch an official one?
or a patch developped by the community?

Yep, it's an official patch ... You can download it here:

CivFanatics Civ2 Downloads

If this doesn't work by itself, I'd suggest that you return to trying the Win2000 procedures that I first mentioned above.

Thanks again to all of you who tried to help me out.

The problem turned out to be that the version i had was not 242 classic but an older one.

I extracted the patch, replaced all the needed components in the CIV2 folder and guess what, it works... :king:

I feel a bit silly about all this however i think it can be useful for some people here to know:

That some official patches exist...

that the recent re-releases of CIVII are old unpatched versions.

I have about the same problem now with Cossacks EW...
cannot seem to be able to find patch "french 1.15"... :nuke:

Top Bottom