Hi guys, I want to play Civ2 online but I can not

Blastoise

Chieftain
I have tried to play Civ2 online with a friend, but I can not, I try to play for 'Internet Game', but the message '' we are waiting for the game machine to connect '' appears, then '' Connection to game's machine as failed '' I do not really understand this, is it something with my connection?, sorry, I'm newbie.

I typed the IP Adress, tried to create a room or join a game there is always these messages appear.

What should I do in detail?

I have tried to play Civ2 online with a friend, but I can not, I try to play for 'Internet Game', but the message '' we are waiting for the game machine to connect '' appears, then '' Connection to game's machine as failed '' I do not really understand this, is it something with my connection?, sorry, I'm newbie.

I typed the IP Adress, tried to create a room or join a game there is always these messages appear.

Hi, Blastoise!
You did not mention versions of the game and Windows. Actually there is no problem to play Civ2 MGE and Civ2 ToT between OS up to Windows 7. As long as you correctly configured your network and firewall. But if you are on Windows 8 or 10 then there is a problem which I hope to be fixed. I found a reason why there is a problem in Win10 and I hope it is only one. You can try my Civ2UIA project which fixes multiplayer for Civ2 MGE on WIn8 and Win10.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-ii-mge-user-interface-additions-civ2uia.623515/

Last edited:

Hello.What OS you have? If is not 10,we can play without problems.You can't play with your friend directly IP,need to use Hamachi,a free soft making networks or gaming networks,Evolve Tunngle or others.Write here if you can install to play.Good luck!

Hello.What OS you have? If is not 10,we can play without problems.You can't play with your friend directly IP,need to use Hamachi,a free soft making networks or gaming networks,Evolve Tunngle or others.Write here if you can install to play.Good luck!
catalin72,
but I can start multiplayer Civ2 MGE directly (Internet game) between two different computers on different ISP (Internet service providers). There were notebook with Win7 behind WiFi-router and desktop PC with Win 7 VPN-connected directly to another ISP.

After fixing problems with multiplayer on Windows 10 now I am able to connect Windows 10 and Windows 7 through Internet without any Hamachi. Here is result on photo: Windows 10 is on virtual machine behind NAT. All I have to do is port-forward two ports: 4993 and 4994. And another machine is again notebook with Windows 7. Game on Windows 10 was launched with Civ2UIA. And on Windows 7 game launched directly without any patches.

Attachments

• Civ2MGE-Win10-Win7.jpg
    Civ2MGE-Win10-Win7.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 502
catalin72,
but I can start multiplayer Civ2 MGE directly (Internet game) between two different computers on different ISP (Internet service providers). There were notebook with Win7 behind WiFi-router and desktop PC with Win 7 VPN-connected directly to another ISP.

After fixing problems with multiplayer on Windows 10 now I am able to connect Windows 10 and Windows 7 through Internet without any Hamachi. Here is result on photo: Windows 10 is on virtual machine behind NAT. All I have to do is port-forward two ports: 4993 and 4994. And another machine is again notebook with Windows 7. Game on Windows 10 was launched with Civ2UIA. And on Windows 7 game launched directly without any patches.
Then is perfect.So I can play using your patch multiplayer,without any other patches.I don't remember,if Windows is 64b,need to download other things?

As FoxAhead and I stated elsewhere, there are only issues for multiplayer sessions of Civ 2 MGE under Win 8 or Win 10, NOT under Win 7 or lower versions of the OS.

Blastoise, if you want to play Civ 2 MGE, please let me know. If you are on Steam, please add me there. My nickname on Steam is also: DaringPaw (http://steamcommunity.com/id/DaringPaw)

Since FoxAhead made this awesome programm, we set up a small group of Civ 2 MGE fans on Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/CivIIMGEFans) to play the game together or share strategies, thoughts, ideas on it, solve technical issues, or just have a good time. You as well as your friend and everybody else is highly welcome. So please join our group and/or add me on Steam. Looking forward to see you there! :)

Hi, Blastoise!
You did not mention versions of the game and Windows. Actually there is no problem to play Civ2 MGE and Civ2 ToT between OS up to Windows 7. As long as you correctly configured your network and firewall. But if you are on Windows 8 or 10 then there is a problem which I hope to be fixed. I found a reason why there is a problem in Win10 and I hope it is only one. You can try my Civ2UIA project which fixes multiplayer for Civ2 MGE on WIn8 and Win10.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-ii-mge-user-interface-additions-civ2uia.623515/
Sorry, my OS is Windows 7, how exactly do I need to configure my Firewall?, My connection looks good, I can usually play other games online, it's about Civ2, I've already tried playing Hamachi but I've failed.

Sorry, my OS is Windows 7, how exactly do I need to configure my Firewall?, My connection looks good, I can usually play other games online, it's about Civ2, I've already tried playing Hamachi but I've failed.
Hello.You have a router? If not,then need to be OK,can stop firewall when play online,I have alltime Firewall off.

Thank you guys, I was able to play with my friend for Hamachi today, maybe we could organize a match and play sometime next. Thx again

Blastoise, I have send you a private message. We noticed you left our hamachi network agein. I think the easiest way to set things up and find an appointment to play is to join and connect via Steam (if you are on Steam) or just send emails around. Do you have email? Do you have Steam? Please notice and reply to my private message. Would be nice to see you and your friend around from time to time. Cheers!

Hi guys, I re-open this 3D because I still cannot host or join multyplayer games on different ISP.
I use CIV2UIA, win7 e hamachi. I suspect hamachi is the problem, I got this small yellow triangle next to the guys are in the net, which probably causes communication issues.
Finally I use a router at home.
Could you please help me with?

Solved, basically hamachi was installed but due to a windows issue (the lack of an update) the Hamachi Network Interface could not be installed.
Once I installed this win update, I was able to install the HNI. If anyone has the same issue, can PM me, I will ne glad to help with.

Did you manage to get Hamachi to work on 7 windows? It's amazing. Write in more detail how you managed to do this. I think you may not always be able to respond promptly to a personal message. So your solution to this problem will be better formulated in the public domain, so that other players can use your instructions if necessary. Personally, this problem is irrelevant to me. However, I know that quite a lot of players currently still use 7 windows. This will be useful information for them.

Did you manage to get Hamachi to work on 7 windows? It's amazing. Write in more detail how you managed to do this. I think you may not always be able to respond promptly to a personal message. So your solution to this problem will be better formulated in the public domain, so that other players can use your instructions if necessary. Personally, this problem is irrelevant to me. However, I know that quite a lot of players currently still use 7 windows. This will be useful information for them.
As I said, my problem was the Hamachi Network Interface that could not be installed. It means that I was able to install Hamachi, create a net, let ppl join my net, even chat with them but, the network interface could not be installed and that was the problem. The network interface is the tool that allows the communication between devices (as your wifi card or the LAN card for example).
Basically I saw this small yellow triangle with exlamation point next to the user in Hamachi. Well, that is the problem. So I went on "Systems" under windows control panel and there I saw the Hamachi Network Interface present but with a driver problem (again this yellow triangle).
Now, if you try to update this driver, in 99% of the case, it will tell you that it is not possible, because Windows 7 makes a certificate check on the driver (Error 52), in most of the case this check is not passed and the driver cannot be installed/updated, so Hamachi won't work properly.
The solution is behind installing a particular windows update, Windows6.1-KB3033929-x64, (you do not get it if windows updates system is disabled as was mine).
So, I downloaded from inetrnet this update only (I did not want to download 2GB of Win7 updates which I hate), I installed it and then I re-installed Hamachi et voilà!
The Hamachi Network Interface get installed correctly and everything worked as It should.
Another tip, is to check under "connection and sharing center" (I do not know exaclty in english) under the control panel. There you will see all the network card you have installed (wifi, LAN for example) and Hamachi also which is virtual but is always a network card. However when you can't install its interface you won't see "Hamachi" under this page, but when you manage to install it correctly, so you will.

Top Bottom