Hi I need help adding civlizations.

Benito Juarez

Chieftain
My name is John, and I need help. I got civ 1.29f in a Mac OS X version 10.4.9 and I want to add civilizations. And I am asking you guys to help me and I have many questions. Can i do it first of all?, What pluggins do I need? Will it mae it crash?, Why is the sky blue? Any help will be apriciated.

Hola my nombre es John (Para los que saben mas espanol (nisiquira puedo poner la ene de nino, nina o Nono) me lo escriban en espanol) Tengo la version de Civ 1.29 en una Mac OS X version 10.4.9y quiziera agreagar civlizationes pero no tengo ni Idea y tengo muchas preguntas. Antes que nada, lo podria hacer, luego que programs necesito, y me provocaria errores, por que el cielo es azul? Cualquier ayuda sera apresiada.

Hola, welcome :wavey:

I'm surprised that you have version 1.29f for Mac. As far as I know the last version of the MacSoft product was 1.29b2.

The easy way to get new civilizations is to buy a copy of Civ3 Complete, which gives you all the ones that are included in Civ3 Conquests.

A cheaper way is to use an existing mod, and the easiest one to use is Bluebox's GOTM mod, as I created a Mac OS X installer for it. It adds civilizations equivalent to the extra ones in Play the World, and a few more as well. I don't link the installer in my signature any more, as it is no longer required to play Games of the Month, and most players have moved on to Civ3 Complete. But you can still download the installer here.

You should follow the Readme file carefully, as you will need to swap a couple of graphics files in order to use Bluebox's GOTM scenario. As I haven't looked at the mod for a long time, it's entirely possible that you may have problems. If so, please come back and ask questions.

Typo it is 1.29b2 my bad. And Iam officialy confused now. I downloaded the files. Then I download the GOTM but then I don't know what to. Can you explain me what to do step by step to add the civilizations that are in the GOTM

You should only need to run the installer that I linked in my post, and copy the following two graphics files into /Art/ to replace the standard ones:

/Art/resources storage/gotm21 plain/resources.pcx
/Art/resources storage/gotm21 plain/resources_shadows.pcx

You can use the ones in the other /Art/resources storage/gotm21 xxx/ folders if you want extra resources display features to indicate luxuries or food/shield/gold bonus values.

Then run Civ3 and select Load Scenario. Select gotm_mod_1.1.bic and start a new game. When you get to the player setup screen you should have a choice of 27 civs to play.

Thanks a lot, I can know play with all of those (although I just want them as enemiges, because the original ones were not chaling enough and use Aztecs) THANKS, and again THANKS. And by the way, just by the way, did you know how to make other units appear in the Aztecs instead of others (lets say a Jedi Master as Swordman), but without altering the other swordman. (My brother wants to use the whole star wars thing, but he doesn't want the AI to use them)

You would have to mod the BIC file to include the Jedi Master unit, add it as a unique unit for the Aztecs, with the same pre-requisites as a Swordsman, and include it in the upgrade path above a Swordsman.

Your problem is that you can't edit a version 1.29b2 BIC using the Mac Civ3 Editor, so you either need to use my suggestions for using the Windows editors on an Intel Mac, or find someone with the Windows editor to do it for you.

Yes, you could just replace the graphics for the Aztec UU with the Jedi unit, but the Aztec unique unit is the Jaguar Warrior, which replaces the Warrior, not the Swordsman.

Ok, look because my trial has expired and I don't have money I can't use he paralel. But what I do is that I have a windows (yep but by some reason I thought it was idea buy CIV 3 for Mac). Is there is any way I can download a editor get all my info to there (Civilization of course) and use an editor to alterete there?

The thread I linked tells you where you can get the Windows editor. If you can set up an Ethernet connection between your Mac and Windows systems then you can do what I described there by using your PC in place of Parallels.

Ok, look because my trial has expired and I don't have money I can't use he paralel. But what I do is that I have a windows (yep but by some reason I thought it was idea buy CIV 3 for Mac). Is there is any way I can download a editor get all my info to there (Civilization of course) and use an editor to alterete there?

No, the editor wouldn't work without the other civ3 files around, and even if it did, you wouldn't be able to download, even just the editor, anywhere legally.

So you would have to buy the windows version of Civ3 to do that.

Since the Windows updaters are freely downloadable from Firaxis, and contain the editors, I don't think there is a problem using them. They work OK with the Mac file sets if you set the networking up the way I described.

You should check the End User License Agreements (EULAs) in the updaters though, I guess.

@AlanH

Oops, sorry, I never read that thread. Learned something new.

Forget what I said then.

No, you are right to raise it. However, in this instance, unless there's an explicit license clause that clobbers you, I can't see any victim here among the suppliers. The only victims are us, the customers.

Firaxis got a cut when MacSoft sold the Mac copy of Vanilla, and they provide an editor that's compatible with the Vanilla game data. They got some money to help pay for development of the editor, so they should be golden.

MacSoft failed to deliver a full release of the last version of the Vanilla software, and they certainly let us down with the editor. As far as I can tell, we only have the vanilla 1.29 and an out-dated editor as a result of Brad's superhuman efforts in his own time. So I don't think we owe MacSoft anything.

We find a way to make the two play together, but it costs us extra hardware or software, plus time and effort.

Who should be paying who? :p

Top Bottom