1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi, making marathon not crappy

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by bad fromage, Mar 23, 2009.

1. bad fromage

bad fromage Chieftain

:sniper::sniper::sniper::sniper::dance:Hey, any tips on making Marathon games less of an opportunity to hit the end turn button and more of an opportunity to... like u know... do stuff. I`m thinking of just drasticly reducing the unit and building prod costs but keeping everything else intact. In this manner you still "live" through ages in the same era and the same culture levels, unit and city maintance costs (gotta have some balance) but at least SOMETHING happens.

I mean wtf were they thinking when they built the damn time scale options? Hi! here`s a way you can spend ages chasing Russia`s 3 archers with your 3 axemen which took me 15 turns to make each (not an exageration!) to try and take their 3rd of 4 cities for 150 f-ing turns!! I mean 20 turns to build a university!?!? Why the f! not just start in quick mode and build it in 5 turns and a couple new archers as well in two more turns before Ghengis decides it`s too pretty to be left standing.

:mad::mad:

But would there be other issues to contend with if I did just that, reduce building and unit build costs. And by the way I INTEND to have tonnes of units and cities, damnit.

2. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

From personal experience then I can say that it works nicely setting most of the scaling differences (except for GP growth and Research time) to 100.

3. Willem

Willem Deity

You certainly would with buildings, in no time you'd have nothing left to build. All the build times are balanced to the number of turns. If you don't like how it's done, then don't play at that speed, play Normal instead.

4. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

The answer to that one is to add a process (like Wealth, Research and Culture) that has no prerequisites and is available to all civs from the start.

I added one that give +10% to all 3 fields - the good news is that even the AI will make use of this(these) with no further rewiring.

5. PinkPikachu

PinkPikachu Chieftain

Personally, I wish that you could adjust the speed for units, buildings, techs, and time passage (like how many years a turn is) independently. If somone made a mod that let you do that, I'd be very very happy.

6. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

t's very easy to do, its editing 1 (ok, 2) files. The GameSpeedInfo and the CultureLevelInfo.