1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Dopey113, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Dopey113

Dopey113 Chieftain

Anyone give me some tips on this please, I am 57 first time I have played this sim (used to call them god sims) I only have civ 5 at the moment but will get the expansion soon, so seeing im new to this game (all the new shoot'em ups are getting a tad to complex for me now) slow this down a little... and what's the best way to go about things as a newbie thanks

2. gingerbill

gingerbill Prince

hi

there's a lot of guide's around , youtube has some good guides too .

My advice would be to start a game on prince and learn as you play , if you lose start a new game and win from what you learnt.

Some basic pointers....
    Science is based on population..
    growth is limited by happiness...
    Try to keep units alive and promote them..
    archers are good for defending..

3. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

The civlopedia (think its in the help menu) is the equivalent of the manual if such things interest you.

I found prince level to be too rushed for my initial play through, if you like taking your time try the lowest level and epic speed for your first game.

4. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Culture is VERY important. You get it by building buildings and wonders or by using great artists.

When you have enough culture you get to pick a free 'culture policy'. These give you rewards which can be critical early game. For example you can get a free worker or a free settler right when you really need them.

You might want to start on easier difficulties until you get familiar with the game mechanics.

Oh, and here's a tip: first item to build is a scout so they can a) get rewards for finding stuff on the map and b) help you decide where to put the 2nd city. 2nd item to build is a monument.

5. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

Age has nothing to do with it, friend, it`s just understanding the game. These games are actually easier and simpler than in the old days in my view. Seriously.

It`s easier to help you if you explain your problems with the game.

p.s. I`m not that far off your age, m8.

6. Dopey113

Dopey113 Chieftain

Thanks all for your input and help, if I get stuck I will come back and ask again for help, and in the meanwhile have a look around the forum for more tips and advice, thanks guys

7. mike1117112

mike1117112 Chieftain

I second Socratatus. I'm your age, and I love this game. Really the only one I play regularly. The tooltips are great, mouse over gives hints too. I'd start a game at the lowest level, standard map and at Epic speed to familiarize with the controls and concepts. Build a scout and go exploring. Until you turn them off, I think the advisors will pop up and guide you for initial steps too. At the lowest level, you won't have great odds against you that the higher levels will give you, and the AI opponents won't be so aggressive. I'd like to say it's intuitive, but I've put in thousands of hours, since III, so I barely remember being new to the game. This board, and members are great for tips, tricks and strategy. If you hit a snag, or something, pop in here and ask, you'll find a lot of people here will help. I mostly lurk, grabbing hints and tricks to improve my game.

8. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

As is science, and happiness, and military strength, and... er, everything :) Let any segment of the game go to pot, and you can end up in trouble. Balance is key, at least once you move up to actually challenging difficulty levels. Just don't get tunnel vision and only focus on one aspect of the gameplay, or you will lose.

9. masterofroflnes

masterofroflnes Chieftain

The best ways to truely learn how to play the game is by trying out different stargeies and using different civs and just fooling around.

youtube videos and let`s plays

as well as forums to increase your knowledge of the game further