Hidden nationality Submarines

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Noyyau, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

Making Submarines acting like Privateers seems easy enough, there's a
    <bHiddenNationality>0</bHiddenNationality>
    value in the unitinfos.xml that, turned to 1, should do the trick (I'll try later tonight).
    Edit: Actually it's not as straightforward as that, I see other civ's subs with the pirate (barbarian) flag, but trying to attack them prompts the "do you really want to declare war" popup. And using my subs to try and attack another type of ship also asks to declare war.
    Well, silly me, right under the hidden nationality tag there's also
    <bAlwaysHostile>0</bAlwaysHostile>
    which, turned to 1, solves the problem!

The actual question is:
    is it possible to make it so that there is a chance, every time a hidden nationality sub attacks a unit of a civ you're currently at peace, to be discovered? And have negative diplo consequences, or outright war, like with spies?
    I guess this would actually be interesting with privateers as well, so far they rule the seas until ships of the line and iron frigates appear (and, promoted enough, my privateers still sink most of the SotL anyway).

2. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

I suppose it's possible and I like the idea, but I guess it requires dll coding and at the moment I'm too busy with bug fixing and AND2-C2C merging to look deeper into this idea. But I'm willing to consider it once I'm done with bug fixing. :)

3. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

DLL is way beyond my capabilities. But I'm patient ;)

Since I'm talking about submarines, I have another question: the ability that subs have to target transports first, is it something in the DLL, or can it be toggled in some xml?
    I have the impression that hidden nat subs might be too overpowered if they can hit transports disregarding all other ships in the plot. Maybe allow them to do that, but only if there are no destroyers (or any other sub-seeing ship) in the stack?
    I guess that's more DLL magic though.

4. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

I frankly don't remember where you can have that kind of control over subs action. I know it can be tweaked somehow because there are other mods where the situation is different from AND; I'll have a look to see if it's an easy change but it's not on the priority list right now because at the moment the main goal is:

• Merging C2C dll
    • Fixing that damned route bug
    • Testing the new tech tree by Vokarya
    • Balancing the game again as it will be probably thrown out of balance after all these changes.

Once we're done with these points, we'll check anything else. :)

5. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

I'm not in any hurry! I know you're doing important (and immense) work with the code! :goodjob:
    I'm just writing down my ideas as they come, otherwise I'll just forget it later :mischief: