High School Stuff

What class are you now if you're still in high school?

• Freshmen

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Sophomore

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Junior

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Senior

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters
Originally posted by CurtSibling
I would love to see how the 'European History' curricula is taught in the US! :D

"Now class, this is a European. Notice the communist uniform and lack of hygiene!" :lol:

No, no, that was the summer project.

Senior :D

Schedule:
EECS 411 -- Microwave Circuit Design (nothing like a 6 hour lab and 3 hours of class for 4 credits!)
EECS 451 -- Digital Signal Processing
Physics 340/341 -- Light and Heat (plus lab)
Technical Communications 496 -- stupid ass class... "This is a memo..."

Nothing like trying to get and Electrical Engineering degree in 7 semesters! :cool:

edit: that would make me a senior in college (at least until December when I become a grad student... :( )

Originally posted by Johann MacLeod
i have ap english III, and ap american history block(takes up 1st ans 2nd hour), its the same class with 2 teachers, that way the school uses it as a loophole to put twice as many people in the class, there 58 people in my class :rolleyes: but on the psitive side i get to take music theory this year :D

We have something like that too, but it isn't AP, it's called "American Studies" because they clumped American History and American Literature together for two periods with two teachers. I wasn't in it, but I know some who are.

@Curt, the history department in my school is by far the best here, I think at least in the state :)
The AP Euro teacher is supposedly really good (A nice Jewish lady, she goes to my synogogue, in fact, almost all of the history teachers are Jewish :D) and it's supposed to be the best class to take (That's where all the history pros go, cause I hear it's the hardest) but I'm very much looking forward to it.

@Naervod, taking that many APs in one year isn't such a good idea. I'm taking three my senior year as well, but they are easy ones (at least AP psych and AP English, I don't know about AP Stat). Taking AP American and AP European the same year could also pose as a problem. I guess it depends on the teachers.

Originally posted by G-Man
You guys have a lot of choice in your school... In here we only get to pick two subjects... Things like history are fixed in the school's program and sadly we can't learn at school much more than that... On the brighter side, we're probably in school less time ;)

How so? When do you start and end in the year and daily?

@ Plexus, I felt that way too last year, but now I insist that Juniors will inherit the world :cool:

Originally posted by Benderino
How so? When do you start and end in the year and daily?

Theoretically we're at school from 8:10am untill either 1:35pm or 3:35pm, 5 days a week. But add to that the many classes we 'forget' to go to and the many strikes the teachers have and you'll end up with very little study time...

And school is from september 1st to june 20th (except in this final year when we finish it a few months earlier) but with tons of holidays in it.

Theoretically we're at school from 8:10am untill either 1:35pm or 3:35pm, 5 days a week. But add to that the many classes we 'forget' to go to and the many strikes the teachers have and you'll end up with very little study time...

And school is from september 1st to june 20th (except in this final year when we finish it a few months earlier) but with tons of holidays in it.

There's that many strikes? I've never experience one. we start at 8:00 and end at 3:00 but I never "forget" to go to any class. We start on the 28th of August, but end at or around June 3-5 depending upon the weekend and finals.

In Germany they only have about 6 weeks of summer break (in fact, my friend has school in a day and a half, he tells me. But I hear he gets more days off within the year, so it evens out.

There's that many strikes? I've never experience one. we start at 8:00 and end at 3:00 but I never "forget" to go to any class. We start on the 28th of August, but end at or around June 3-5 depending upon the weekend and finals.

In Germany they only have about 6 weeks of summer break (in fact, my friend has school in a day and a half, he tells me. But I hear he gets more days off within the year, so it evens out.

There's a threat of a strike before every new year, and new ones whenever there're any cuts in the number of teachers or new regulations. Also, we have two teachers' unions and whenever one is on strike the media just says there's a strike so students of schools of the other union don't go to school as well...

We have 9+ weeks of summer vacation, plus three weeks in passover, plus a week in sukot and hanuka, plus half a dozen other days... Also, if the road map will go as planned and there'll be some agreement signing they'll probably give s the day off (that's what they did when we had peace with Jordan)... And there are memorial days where we don't study and go home early... We never study :p

There's a threat of a strike before every new year, and new ones whenever there're any cuts in the number of teachers or new regulations. Also, we have two teachers' unions and whenever one is on strike the media just says there's a strike so students of schools of the other union don't go to school as well...

We have 9+ weeks of summer vacation, plus three weeks in passover, plus a week in sukot and hanuka, plus half a dozen other days... Also, if the road map will go as planned and there'll be some agreement signing they'll probably give s the day off (that's what they did when we had peace with Jordan)... And there are memorial days where we don't study and go home early... We never study :p

Nice. We have two weeks for 'Winter Break' which always conveniently lands during Christmas, and sometimes if I'm lucky Channukah too. Then we have Spring Break in the last week of March. I usually have to spend my Passovers eating matzo during my lunch period (everyone really likes it and always asks for some, so I bring about a box a day to school ;) and eat it all day long) And I take the day off for Yom Kippur. Then there are plenty of tiny, one day holidays like Columbus day, MLK Jr. Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Veterans day, and Thanksgiving we get 2-3 days off for that break, etc.

Originally posted by Silverflame

My school was placed #50 on the top high schools of the US. And, my school is right next to Stanford (literally), with a total of 29 people getting into Stanford last year. And, as if that was not enough, I am Asian, and because of those annoying Asian stereotypes I am now expected to go to Stanford, or at least a UC, which I'll probably have a better chance...too much pressure.

Mine's 19th so :p

;)

PS. Asians are smart.

@CrackedCrystal: Forensics is just a fancy name for Debate.

Also, I tried to get into European History AP this year but, I didn't get in. Must've been my grades or teacher recomendations (I think that my history teacher Mrs. MacLeod was upset because I knew more than her about the Korean War, amongst other things). My essay was solid, it was better than most of the ones that I read. Then when I went to the Euro teacher to complain about not getting in he said he would like to have me in his class, but forgot why I didn't get in. :p

What about sports? I play JV Soccer. We were undefeted in leauge this year.

Originally posted by SoCalian
What about sports? I play JV Soccer. We were undefeted in leauge this year.

Oh no, you just reminded me again. I have JV soccer tryouts today. :(

I hate tryouts, even though I know I'll make the team, I still hate them.

hmm, well I graduate this year, we don't have a mascot and we don't even have our own team except for once a year on a national tournament, where I'm (as a center) captain of the basketball team. The problem is though that basketball isn't very popular and the team generally sucks. Somehow we never end last though. :lol: I went to the try-outs 3 years ago, and after the try-outs the teachers asked me for my opinion (who's on, who isn't)...says enough about the level we play on at school. I'm so glad I still play in a normal team :p

Let's see, for sports JV soccer and JV (but probably varsity this year) track. Our school is one of the best (if not the best) public school in California, but that's not saying much. :)

For breaks, we have Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Winter Recess (last week and a half in December first week or half a week in January, MLK Day President's Recess (3rd week in February), Spring Break (week after Easter), and Memorial Day. We start this Wednesday and get out Thursday, June 10. We also have various Staff Development or Instructional Improvement Days which give us about 5 to 10 more days off and lets ushave a break or day off at least once every month (and only once in a month in March and October).

Originally posted by naervod
Let's see, for sports JV soccer and JV (but probably varsity this year) track. Our school is one of the best (if not the best) public school in California, but that's not saying much. :)

Oh yeah, I'm also on the JV lacrosse team, though admittedly I'm not very good, and last season was my first time.

Originally posted by SoCalian
@CrackedCrystal: Forensics is just a fancy name for Debate.
Oh, ok. I thought it was crime investigation. Testing for gunpowder resedue, figerprints, etc.

I just looked up the word in the dictionary and sure enough, it also means the study of formal debate. I never knew that.

Mine's 19th so :p

;)

PS. Asians are smart.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if someone was from a high school from the top ten. CFC is full of smart people :)

Although before that list came out I was always under the impression my school was within the top 20... :hmm:

Originally posted by Silverflame

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if someone was from a high school from the top ten. CFC is full of smart people :)

Although before that list came out I was always under the impression my school was within the top 20... :hmm:

Where can I find this 'list' you speak of?

Top Bottom