1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

High Sierra

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Macintosh' started by docbud, Sep 28, 2017.

1. docbud

docbud Chieftain

I'm guessing that Civ V will eventually will be patched for High Sierra?

But--what is going to happen when a newer OS comes out in 2018 and no longer supports 32-bit? Will Aspyr make it 64 bit?

Or is Civ V basically on borrowed time and in its death throes for Mac users (unless we run windows via Bootcamp or something)?

I know for now Civ V will work--but only if G&K and BNW are disabled--which basically means playing vanilla--which I don't wish to do.

Any thoughts?

leniel likes this.
  2. mbbcam

mbbcam Chieftain

The report that I saw on Steam stated that you had to disable G&K *OR* BNW -- not both. Not that that is a lot better.

For some reason, Civ5 has been running on my iMac, complete with G&K and BNW, despite the fact that I upgraded to High Sierra. No idea why.

3. docbud

docbud Chieftain

You may be right about the *OR*.

Glad it's working for you. I'm not sure if I want to take the chance.

leniel likes this.
  4. mbbcam

mbbcam Chieftain

Here's a post confirming what I wrote:

https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004974766-Civ-5-crashing-after-updating-to-OS-10-13-

The problem seems to be caused by the new APFS -- this is why Civ5 still works on my iMac, but won't on my MacBook. The former has a fusion drive, so it wasn't updated to APFS and still uses the old drive formatting. My MacBook, on the other hand, has a solid state HD, which would have been automatically updated when I updated to High Sierra. See this article:

http://www.downloadbureau.com/apfs-...y-engine-cities-skylines-civilization-v-more/

jpinoniemi likes this.
  5. docbud

docbud Chieftain

Thanks

6. Justin0100

Justin0100 Chieftain

Here is the reply from Aspyr. This is beyond disappointing.

"Sorry for the delay. It can take upwards of 1-3 months for game updates to roll out. Follow our KB article to be notified when we have more info to share: https://support.aspyr.com/.../115004944283-Aspyr-games... . If the game is still crashing when you have one of the expansion packs disabled, open a ticket with our support team so they can get details (crash log, save game file, etc): https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new"

7. mbbcam

mbbcam Chieftain

8. Justin0100

Justin0100 Chieftain

For me it's too late, I already upgraded. Just frustrated that Aspyr does not seem to have a handle on their games and testing.

9. docbud

docbud Chieftain

Well, since I have a fusion drive and not SSD, it won't be converted to AFPS.

So would I be okay to upgrade to High Sierra?

Part of me thinks I should just wait until Aspyr does their patch, and I also wait until High Sierra does the AFPS thing on fusion drives.

10. Justin0100

Justin0100 Chieftain

Not that I expected it to but to confirm for everyone: The macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update released on 10/5/17 did absolutly nothing to fix the Civ 5 issues relating to game play. The game still cannot be played, even with one or both of the expansion packs loaded. It will not load with both checked, and crashes within the first 30 minutes with one or the other checked.

11. docbud

docbud Chieftain

^^That sucks. Sorry to hear that.

12. docbud

docbud Chieftain

For those with fusion drives--I updated and no problem. Seems the AFPS issue. If you have an SSD you are screwed. If Fusion Drive you are okay.

13. Schamberg

Schamberg Chieftain

jpinoniemi and mbbcam like this.
  14. mbbcam

mbbcam Chieftain

Brilliant.

15. jpinoniemi

jpinoniemi Chieftain

I replied to the Reddit thread but this worked for me, thank you for posting. Instead of creating the disk image, I used an SD card and it worked great.

16. lp60068

lp60068 Chieftain

Civ 5 works for me now on High Sierra 10.13.1
    I have a 2013 Mac Pro

17. Schamberg

Schamberg Chieftain

Do you mean straight, out of the box?