1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Higher screen resolution or windowed mode for Alpha Centauri?

Discussion in 'Alpha Centauri' started by Stephan Hoyer, May 7, 2005.

1. Stephan Hoyer

Stephan Hoyer Conquering Civ IV...

I guess the title says it all. I'm curious if there's any way to get Alpha Centauri to play at a higher resolution than 1024x768 (my laptop screen is 1400x1050) or if you can play it in a window in Windows.

Thanks for your help.

2. The Person

The Person Deity +2

There aren't made any graphics for resolutions over 1024x768, so I think the answer is "no". And I'm not sure if a higher resolution would be good either, as then everything becomes so darn small...

3. Stephan Hoyer

Stephan Hoyer Conquering Civ IV...

Thanks... I have good eyes, though, so I like things small :).

4. Lezyt

Lezyt Chieftain

You can put this line in the [Alpha Centauri] section of the Alpha Centauri.ini file...

DirectDraw=0

What it does is force Alpha Centauri to run at your desktop resolution... It looked a bit funny in the default videomode (the layout of the bottom bar looks odd, most noticably), but works pretty good in the 1024*768 videomode...

5. Wilhelm Kaleva

Wilhelm Kaleva King in exile

Yes and this way it is possible to play SMAC with say 1920x1200 resolution as I am. Looks pretty neat :D

6. GenFX

GenFX Chieftain

DirectDraw=0

worked like a charm!

7. ziopuc

ziopuc Chieftain

i dont have the voice "directdraw" in mi .ini file
    is this because ive installed alien crossfire?
    help me plz

8. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Moderator Supporter

The directdraw=0 line is not present in the original ini file. If you want to have it there, you have to add it manually. I hope this answers your question.

9. ziopuc

ziopuc Chieftain

thank u very much petek! i'll try this soon!

10. ziopuc

ziopuc Chieftain

it works fine! the effect is not so beautiful as i expected but the string works.
    thanks again

11. ydejin

ydejin Chieftain

This didn't work for me running the original SMAC, but it did for Alien Crossfire. In SMAC the resolution change worked, but the controls were all screwed up. The menus on the start screen were invisible, although still clearly there (they reacted to mouse clicks, if I could figure out where the mouse was without visual feedback) and the information bar during gameplay showed up in the middle of the screen, not at the bottom. Everything worked great in Alien Crossfire.

I realize this is really an old thread. And it's not a big deal since it works with the Alien Crossfire extension, but I thought this was worth posting in case someone searches for "Screen Resolution change" sees this and tries to run this resolution fix in SMAC and not Alien Crossfire.

12. bongman

bongman Chieftain

Nice one!

I did just this (actually, I searched for "windowed mode" in google but did find this thread). I get exactly the same problems with the original SMAC with "DirectDraw=0". Guess I'll have to root out Alien Crossfire :)

13. Berkys

Berkys Chieftain

Playing in "window" (I use it in work :) ):
    Run 1st SMAC/SMAX
    Run 2nd SMAC/SMAX
    Close one SMAC/SMAX game
    Your resolution will be back on normal and one SMAC will be on upper left corner in standard resolution
    Sometimes other screen is black

14. Russia4Life

Russia4Life Chieftain

Wow that actually worked, at first I was thinking ya right it can't be that easy this guy is full of ****, but it seriously does work. Thanks for giving that info I am certainly going to use it. I even attached a screeny of it. :)

Attached Files:

15. Ranbir

Ranbir Civ junkie

This is great. Not only gives me a bigger map to look at but the menu animation smoothed itself out. Felt very crisp and clean.

16. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

Hmm, this doesn't appear to do anything for me. I've added it to the ini file as follows:

[Alpha Centauri]
    DirectDraw=0

is this correct? the [Alpha Centauri] and the  were there already.

17. Petek

That last character () shouldn't be there, since the ini file is pure text. Are you saving the file with a pure text editor, such as notepad?

18. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

Yes, notepad as pure text. The arrow is in the original .ini file. I'll try removing it.

edit: Hmm, still nothing.

19. Petek

Does your ini file also have a line such as video mode=800 or video mode=1024? IIRC, either of these commands will override the directdraw command. If still no go, please post your ini file.

Petek

20. Thorn

Thorn Chieftain

Make sure you put it above the [PREFERENCES] line. I couldn't get this work either until I moved it up to the first line in the .ini file.