1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Highest promoted unit?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by GGracchus, Dec 24, 2011.

1. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

What is the greatest amount of experience one of your units has ever accumulated? This picture is from the Barbarian Challenge, and I got this far without a great general. I upped the barb XP cap to 500, which explains why I have more than 10 exp. He's got 13 promotions, two of which are from the protective trait.

Attached Files:

2. Matty R

Matty R Veteran Newbie

Spoiler :

Mine was produced with 17XP, and got the 20XP from a great general. I was also playing a PRO leader, so got Drill I and CG1 for free.

3. obsolete

obsolete Deity

Well, that isn't very fair. Barb-caps were put in the game for a very good reason.

4. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

@obsolete: I was getting annoyed that my unit that was killing so many barbs only had a pitiful 10 exp...

5. elohssa

elohssa Warlord

Highest I had was a combat 6 privateer (was fun owning frigates on coastal defence) and a combat 6 with pinch infantry.

6. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

I've had three level 12 units simultaneously.

7. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I had a GG rifle that started as an archer. Protective, so had a head start. CG III, Drill IV, guerrilla III, woods III, combat VI, pinch, cover, shock, ambush, and march. Obviously leadership too, so when things attacked him on the hill city he'd get 2 xp per defense and would often kill 10-20+ units in a given attack...

Did it help me win anything offensively? No, not really. Anything like air power, nukes, FS immunity, and the loss of defensive bonuses will cause it to die horribly.

8. Orion071

Orion071 Home School Tutor

Ha! This reminded me of an insane SG that I followed back in the day. It was a OCC on deity and they custom built a city filled with resources and surrounded it with mountains so there was only 1 way in - through a forested hill. Then they parked a couple of Longbows (who became Redcoats) on the hill while wave after wave after wave of deity units threw themselves at the city. Eventually, the Redcoat had every promotion in the game.

Yes! My search-fu was strong today...

One ridiculous Redcoat

9. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

60EXP bowman for me. I've had ridiculous exp units in the defense mod that came with bts- a hill warrior got all the promotions that it could get.

That somehow seems like WB, even after looking at the log.

10. Tlalynet

Tlalynet Emperor

I like more levelups, so I modded the games XP formula to require one more XP per level than the previous level required, rather than scaling exponentially.

I still don't get units like that, though 1000 XP would clear all possible promotions, though in a normal game it doesn't go too crazy.

11. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

Does the Defense scenario count? :mischief:

If yes, I think I managed 250XP before I got killed once.

12. GKey

GKey Emperor

13. G-Max

G-Max Deity

Not using WB or counting mods that really radically alter the game rules, I've had troops that passed the 37-exp mark. Most recently, it was my cannons when playing as Germany in RFC Epic/Marathon. Because units gain exp from winning battles, not from killing enemy units, and because siege units never kill enemy defenders, it's pretty easy to turn an enemy city into an exp (and stability!) farm.

14. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

I've had a 140'ish XP unit before playing on the Earth scenario. It's actually not as hard as you might think.

1.) Use Churchill.
    2.) Produce a city which can churn out 13 xp units.
    3.) Make a crossbowmen/grenadier with at least CG3 + Guerilla 2.
    4.) Attach a great general to it, giving it that one promotion that doubles combat xp and whatever else you fancy (I chose Drill II).
    5.) Find an AI you want to attack, preferably taking a city on a hill.
    6.) Park your "super machine gun" in the city and enjoy and watch the AI suicide its stack against your machine gun.

I did this against Monty on the Earth map. After taking his capital, I parked my "super machine gun" unit inside of the city and watched Monty suicide nearly 60 units against it. It's a shame the promotions available to a machine gun are sub-optimal.

*This really only works as long as the AI doesn't have cavalry or marines.

15. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

Privateers can get ridiculous. I've had DrillIV, CombatIV Privateers. Since they're always at war they pile on the XP's. And if they're highly promoted enough they can usually survive one Frigate. Although the AI won't suicide attack with a bunch of Caravels or Galleons, they will with Frigates even if the odds are low for the first Frigate.

16. elohssa

elohssa Warlord

It'd be interesting to get 2 combatVI privateers together. in my experience, unlike caravels the AI keeps it's frigates in 2s, so 2 combatVI privateers would be it's nightmare.

BTW the AI does suicide with caravels/galleons against privateers but it takes a lot of turns for that to happen. On marathon game speed I've seen it happen though.

17. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

Interesting. I always see the Frigates coming in 2s as you do, but I've never seen suicide Caravels against Privateers. That's, of course, if they're uninjured. If a Privateer has made it's attack, takes some damage and can't get back to a fully health Privateer the AI will swarm it.

18. ATC1983

ATC1983 Chieftain

How do I remove the xp cap for fighting barbs?

19. Matty R

Matty R Veteran Newbie

I think its in the GlobalDefines file. You can either increase the cap, or get rid of it by changing the number to -1, I think. :)

20. ATC1983

ATC1983 Chieftain

Where is the global defines file?