Highest Strength Mass Producible Unit?

iamdanthemansta

Edward of Woodstock
What's the highest strength unit that not a national unit, or limited in some other way? The Clan's Ogres are 8 strength, anything better?

Clan Ogres if you have mithril, otherwise Arquebuses (strength 10, can't use metal weapons). Unless you're willing to count ships.

-Colin

Thanks, no I wasn't going to count ships. Are any of the Golems close?

Iron Golems are 10.

You could count Shades, though, deathspammed they can easily reach 10. Of course, they'll get chopped up by magic immune units like Acheron, but they are lvl 2 magics, so no problem in mass-producing them (or, summoning them with a horde of Death II Mages).

Not counting Mithril Ogres which can only be used by one civ, the answer is not Arquebusiers, but Mithril Stygian Guards (11 str; also free Water Walking and March). Stygians are one of several very compelling reasons to go OO.

Hmmm I never considered how to count weapons in this. I'm right in thinking it's bronze +1 Iron +2 Mithril +4 right? I was wondering about civ specific units too. I guess Golems are highest base but can't use weapons so they are slightly beat out depending on weapon choice.

This is a little off topic but since someone brought up the Overlords is there a strategy of building cheap warriors drowning them and then upgrading them to Stygian Guards to get cheap Stygian Guards sine the upgrade cost from drown isn't much?

I don't like to upgrade from Drown -> Stygian because they keep the weakness to fire that way. I guess it's not really a big deal but I'd rather build them from scratch.

You could also consider the rarity of metals, and how far away are mithril weapons on the tech line. Considering this, Golems are much less weak than they could seem at first hand.

I don't like to upgrade from Drown -> Stygian because they keep the weakness to fire that way. I guess it's not really a big deal but I'd rather build them from scratch.

Ah, but a drown who's gotten enough exp earlier on can get get cannibilize.

You could also consider the rarity of metals, and how far away are mithril weapons on the tech line. Considering this, Golems are much less weak than they could seem at first hand.

Or you could get both golems AND OO, allowing them to go neutral for dwarven druids, and also giving you a "real" melee line that can gain exp. Complimented with fireball spewing workers, of course :)

Or I could play order/agristocracy Calabims on grassland/floodplain, and churn out 100 XP vampires every turn. Don't forget to plug deathnodes everywhere !

Discounting upgrading high-exp units, I think a Zealot->Stygian upgrade is the best option, since they get Medic I that way. Medic I + March is a good combo.

Not sure if you count this as mass-production, but Basium can gain 10 EXP on all new disciple units. This way he can spam tier I disciples, which can be suicided to get Lv4 Angels, which can upgrade into Orphanim, which have 12/9 strength and can use metal weapons(so 16/13 with Mithril).

I believe the main prereq to being considered mass produced in not having a limit on how many you can have. Like all Angel upgrades, Ophanim are national units, so you cannot have but 4 of them at time (they aren't heroes so you can of course replace those that you loose).

Diseased corpses are cheap and easy to get strenth 7 units if they are used in combination with ritualists who can heal them. They might not be the strongest mass production unit, but certainly one of the best. With tower of necromancy they are even strength 8.

Top Bottom