1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Highland clansmen

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Bagdemagus, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Chieftain

Hi, I hope I have posted a screenshot not done this before but it should be a pic of my highland clansmen circa 1745.

used nifskope and gimp and they all use different animations-

Hope people think they look ok and if so will upload them to the database. Thanks to Bakuel and Gagonite (the berber swordsman model edited and gagonites animation:)

Comments please but be kind they are my first units.

Cheers

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...=file&id=17012

Attached Files:

2. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Really? Then it's a great first work :goodjob:.
    I would not expect something better from a regular unit maker, they look nice :).
    -> where's the download?

3. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Chieftain

Cheers! i have not put them on the download database as yet because one of the figures is the edited Berber swordsman and i think it is only right that Bakuel says its ok to put them on the database (He hasnt got back to me yet). I did art at university but im really slow with computers! So thanks for the feedback much appreciated!

4. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Normally most of the people are quite happy when their art is used, and nearly nobody here minds some rework of their stuff, so that shouldn't be a problem at the end, but it's polite that you wait :).

I guess you didn't mean art at the computer? Because then being slow is probably not really a problem, you're probably only missing some training with the programms and don't know some of the quirks and other problems with the Civ4 units, so that will not be problematic in the future anymore, i guess ;).

5. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Chieftain

You are totally right. I bought my first computer in 2007 and only in the last month or so downloaded nifskope. What i need is some help with the programmes. Ultimately i want to be really good with Blender as I have some great ideas that i cannot do with my current knoweldge. I downloaded blender but to me its just totally alien.

There is some amazing artwork on these forums and i would love to add to it. Even the tutorials i find hard to follow at times.

6. embryodead

embryodead Caliph

I'm in no need of Scots, but they're excellent, A++ :goodjob:

7. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Chieftain

Thanks a lot thats cool. Im thinking of doing some Irish Kern next im not sure. But thanks for the compliment!

8. Lindsey

Lindsey Chieftain

this is my first post but been playing civ for ages. Terrific units you should put them on the database. Iam not a newbie even tho its first post. So shud kno what im on about! lol. What else are you thinking of doing? Im using blender at the mo for work might be able to help.

9. Spillsandstains

Spillsandstains Warlord

bagdemagus, these is lovely stuff, go ahead and upload them!

10. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Chieftain

Thanks! Actually stuck at work at the moment (shouldn't be looking at my emails on company time!) lol But when i get home will upload them. Really cool to get positive feedback although i know i will need loads of technical help in the future.

11. Lindsey

Lindsey Chieftain

Try the many blender manuals and online tutorials out there. Im not sure how relavant they are to Civ but hopefullly someone will let you know one way or another.

12. hrochland

hrochland Prince

it looks very VERY good :goodjob:

13. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Chieftain

Thank you Hrochland much appreciated! I actually put the units on to the download database last night but they still do not seem to have been authorised. Hope I did it correctly.

14. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

If you have less than 30 posts it takes a bit of time to get through. Either way you should post a link to the database in your first post.

15. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Chieftain

I see, thanks for the info.

16. Acronym2

Acronym2 'Cedo Alteram'

Hey this is nice! It is also good to see someone around who studied art. Do you use Photoshop/Gimp or is your area of expertise something else like oils or watercolors?

Don't get discouraged about Blender. I use 3dsMax for the most part but Blender is an excellent 3d Modeling program and there is quite alot I like about it. The biggest pitfall people encounter with Blender (as most any other complicated software tool) is that they want to jump right in and start their project straight away without taking the time to learn how to use it and it does take a little time.

A great deal more tutorials and videos are on the web today as well as all the materials at Blender.org compared to what it was like four or five years ago. In example, there are some really good instructional videos about Blender on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Blender+tutorial&aq=f that can help you to start using Blender along with the downloadable manual at blender.org. In addition, the Civfanatics CivIV Tutorial Section: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177 has some Blender tutorials that are more CivIV specific (This one is good to learn how to set up Blender to import, modify, and export a nif file: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=267233).

17. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Chieftain

Thanks for your brilliant response and encouragement. I am sure those links will prove useful, thanks again. I use gimp just because a friend told me it was free. I draw with the mouse a lot which sounds a little daft considering I have got a tablet. My background is oil painting though and I suppose my favourite medium. What about you? What kinda things did you do at college? Your right its cool to have fellow arty types on the forums but i bet there are loads of us (judging by all the cool artwork around).

18. Lindsey

Lindsey Chieftain

Still not downloadable? Was reading wikipedia last nite, most of them carried a lochaber ax? Apparently a long axe thingy. Try, "Essential Blender" wud recommend it.

19. Acronym2

Acronym2 'Cedo Alteram'

I use Photoshop CS4 but like Blender, Gimp is also an excellent tool and has all the functionality neccessary to create fine computer art. (Both programs are actually too good to be free, although the reason for this is assumably to generate developement feedback and establish a customer base for long term future retail versions.) Photoshop Elements is also a nice affordable alternative to the expensive Creative Suite and Extended versions.

My mother was an artist who predominantly liked to paint in oils, so I have quite a bit of insight and appreciation. 3d modeling and digital artistry is a hobby for me. I plan to attend college this fall but not to major in art. (I am probably about eighteen years older than the average college student, having served in the military and ran a small business prior to my decision to earn a university degree.)

The fact that you know how to paint in oils gives you the most important artistic skill needed to make some fanatastic 3d model skins...........once you've adapted it to the digital medium.

20. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Chieftain

Wel good luck with your future studies and thanks for the encouragement again. Im sure you will have an advantage over your peers due to your life experiences. I chcked out your reskins and they are cool which gives added gravity to your comments. Thanks.

To "Lindsey" hate to be pedantic but the basket hilted claymore and targe was the weapon of choice in 1745. And if you were lucky or rich enough, a musket. I visited the Culloden battlefield visitors centre and they have everything on display. well worth a visit if you are in that part of the world?