Hikaro's guide to the Unit INI file

DJ Bonebraker

a.k.a Laura
Ok, I know that this can be a confusing subject to new unit creators, so I've taken a typical blank unit INI, and explained the functions of all the entries known to actually do something in the game... Most are fairly self-explanatory, however, some require a bit of special explanation for certain odd units, such as Cruise Missiles and ICBM type units.

[Speed]
Normal Speed=225
Fast Speed=225

Supposedly sets the speed at which the object moves accross the map during the run animation... I usually don't mess with this.

The Next section assigns animations to different activities... All blue entries have no known use, and red entries are known to be used by the game, and the uses and conditions (if any) are described on the same line as the entry.

[Animations]
BLANK=
DEFAULT= This is the animation displayed when the unit is doing nothing and is not currently fortified. Also played when the fortify command is given and the unit does not have a fortify animation specified.
RUN=This animation plays when the unit is moving. It also is the first part of the attack sequence for Cruise Missiles and Tactical Nukes, and is the Launch (SW direction) and Fall (S direction) of ICBM attacks
ATTACK1=
ATTACK2=
ATTACK3=
These specify up to three different attacks for most units. The ATTACK1 Entry is ALWAYS the animation played during a bombardment (either offensive or defensive). This is the Air to Air attack animation for Air units, and the second part of the attack sequence for Cruise Missiles (and possibly Tactical Nukes, but more testing is needed), basically where they Drop down towards the target.
DEFEND= This entry is an additional attack that is randomly played only when a fortified unit is attacked and has lost at least 1 HP in that round... The average chance of this being triggered is about 1 in 20 times, but still an interesting recent discovery, since Firaxis has never made use of this in any of their units.
DEATH= Animation played when most unit types are killed in combat and/or by being intercepted by Fighter aircraft or AA fire (SAM battery fire), however there is, again, two exceptions: This entry is used for the final part of the attack sequence Cruise Missiles, Tactical Nukes and ICBMs (the part where the warhead blows up). It also functions as the death animation for Cruise Missiles as well.
FORTIFY= This animation is played when the unit is told to Fortify, as well as at the initiation of combat between units.
FIDGET= This entry assigns an animation that is to be played at random intervals when the unit is unfortified and not given any commands for a long period of time.
VICTORY= Used by Land and Sea units when the unit either (A) disperses a barbarian camp or (B) is promoted. Air units use this animation for any Bombing attack... It is set so that the unit's run animation is displayed flying over the target, and this animation (Bombs of some kind dropping or missiles plowing into the ground) is shown at the target area. In ICBM and Tactical Nukes, this is the actual death animation (if the ICBM's city gets captured or it gets intercepted by the SDI laser, or, in the case of the tactical nuke, when it gets intercepted by AA or SAM fire).
BUILD= Animation played when a Settler unit builds a city. Also played when a Paratrooper type unit makes a paradrop (if no animation is assigned here, however, the Paratrooper unit will just appear at the target area), or an Air Transport drops off troops.
ROAD= Animation played when a worker unit is told to build a road or railroad
MINE= Played when Worker is told to mine a tile.
IRRIGATE= Played when a worker unit either Irrigates a tile or cleans up pollution
FORTRESS= Played when worker unit builds a fortress, barricade, radar tower, airfield or colony
CAPTURE= Played when a worker or settler unit is captured
JUNGLE= Played when a worker is told to clear a jungle or swamp
FOREST= Played when worker is clearing a forest
PLANT= Played when a worker is Planting a forest
STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=

Not sure what this next section does, if anything... again, I don't mess with it.

[Timing]
BLANK=0.500000
DEFAULT=0.500000
RUN=0.500000
ATTACK1=0.500000
ATTACK2=0.500000
ATTACK3=0.500000
DEATH=0.500000
FORTIFY=0.500000
FIDGET=0.500000
VICTORY=0.500000
BUILD=0.500000
ROAD=0.500000
MINE=0.500000
IRRIGATE=0.500000
FORTRESS=0.500000
CAPTURE=0.500000
STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=0.500000
JUNGLE=0.500000
FOREST=0.500000
PLANT=0.500000

This section merely assigns sounds to the corresponding animation listed above... Pretty self-explanatory.

[Sound Effects]
BLANK=
DEFAULT=
RUN=
ATTACK1=
ATTACK2=
ATTACK3=
DEFEND=
DEATH=
FORTIFY=
FIDGET=
VICTORY=
BUILD=
ROAD=
MINE=
IRRIGATE=
JUNGLE=
FOREST=
FORTRESS=
CAPTURE=
PLANT=
STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
[Version]
VERSION=1
[Palette]
PALETTE=
This last section doesn't seem to do anything, so, again, I don't bother with it.

I hope this little tutorial is helpful to future modders, and any additions, corrections and other comments are welcome.

Hey thx alot:D im gonna start making my own units...sometime but this will be helpful

The "Blank" animation, I have recently discovered, is an animation that plays after a couple of frames of the "default" animation being played. I'll need to look into it more, though, as I've only seen it when looking into all the "unused" animations.

The "Default" animation is just an animation that plays when almost any animation isn't assigned, not just fortify. :)

Has anyone figured out what DEAD is? Is it somehow different than DEATH?

Top Bottom