1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Hiking through Norway

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by warpus, May 21, 2018.

1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 15 - Steimsnibba summit

The last half hour of the climb was the most demanding. It wasn't even really that bad in terms of the terrain, but I just kept running out of juice.

Reaching the top was an incredible feeling

Not only due to the effort involved, but also because of the views.

Looking at the summit from Hellesylt that morning, it seemed so far away.. Now I was at the top

2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Is that a boarded-up door in the side of that stone building in the first photo? (it looks like a building...)

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Apparently it's a stone hut some local has built. It's usable as far as I could tell, in that you could probably use it for shelter in case the conditions turned ugly.

4. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

I like the steel wire too stop the roof blowing off.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I saw that wire but somehow did not stop and think what it was for. I guess I was just happy to be there

At first I thought that the hut was an official DNT hut, but the internet seems to say otherwise. Seems some guy just built it

6. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

There are similar huts in UK mainly in Scotland called Bothies.

https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/

I have never been near one as I walk around where I live in Devon.
    The last walk I went was on part of the South West Coast Path near my home, 8 miles with 2000 feet assent.
    Not like walking up a mountain but it gets the blood pumping.

warpus likes this.
  7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 15 - More pictures from Steimsnibba summit

A closer look at Hellesylt. The hostel I was staying at is the second building on the way into the city from the right.

The climb down was about 3 hours long.. but first I spent some time eating second lunch and exploring the summit.

If you look closely at the picture above, you will see another hut.

When I got back down to Hellesylt I celebrated with a pepper version of biffsnadder and apple pie. My journal makes note of the international nature of the rest of the day: I discovered that the waitress at the only restaurant in town is Polish, I met a Dutch engineer and football fan over dinner, and later shared my hostel dorm room with 2 new Korean travellers.

The whole hike took just under 9 hours, including a half an hour at the top and a couple shorter breaks along the way. Overall a great use of the day, but I was all out of energy and my legs and feet did not feel great at all.
    The next day I would be departing this part of Norway via a Hurtigruten cruise ship, and was hoping to be able relax a bit at an Airbnb I had booked at my next destination.

8. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

This thread is almost German like, just needs photos of food you ate, photos of toilets and photos of hotel rooms and a 300 word daily report

Train vas late by 1 min und 12 second is outragous vill be complaining to Germany embassy
    Norwaigan tried to say gutten tag was too loud and made eye contact, entered into personal space, such barbarians these nords
    Saw train working answering phone call at working, made sure to photo face and record length of time talking on phone at vork will be reported
    Weather was forcast for 13C actual temperature is 12.4C am shocked at Norway sloppiness und unacceptable
    Holiday RUINED !!!!!!

This would make a great Polandball comic.

Cutlass likes this.
  9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Steimsnibba Summit Ascent Video

The video starts about 2 hours into the hike, after I've already reached Skaret. If I'm remembering correctly I did not have my goPro strapped on before that due to the terrain.

A reminder to turn up the video to 1080p if your internet connection can handle it

If you're wondering why I have a bandaid on my left thumb, it's because the hiking poles rubbing up against my hands lead to wounds forming there. It forced me to change the way I hold and use them. Or at that point I suppose "it", as I only had one hiking pole left

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Cutlass likes this.
  10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 16 - Hurtigruten

Hurtigruten translates to English as "Express Route". The company was founded in the late 1800s in order to operate voyages on Norway's western and northern coasts. These days Hurtigruten is best known for operating cruise ship services on what the company says is "The World's most beautiful sea voyage".

My plan was to take a Hurtigruten cruise ship to Ålesund.. but first I had to jump on a ferry back to Geiranger.

Back in Geiranger, I got ready and excited to board the MS Nordlys

One last ride through the Geirangerfjord

Can't get enough of the Seven Sisters waterfall..

A 4 hour long scenic Hurtigruten ride through the Storfjorden was definitely the highlight of day 16.

Valka D'Ur, Cutlass and The_J like this.
  11. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Nice.

Where do you find the music you use in your vids?

When you were doing an all day hike, what did you carry with you? How much water, weight, extra clothes, food, that sorts of things?

They do that on the top of Mount Washington as well. While not a notably tall mountain, Mount Washington is touted as being the windiest place on Earth. It's located at a place where weather systems tend to collide.
    Spoiler :

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    warpus likes this.
  12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

If I hear a song on spotify that I think might work well as background music, I save it to a special playlist. When it comes time to make a video I leaf through all the songs I bookmarked and find one that works for what I'm trying to do. Since I'm not monetizing my videos, youtube usually don't care what songs I use. There's some artists and/or labels who are completely against you using any of their songs, for anything, and those eventually get muted. That's only happened to me once so far.

For this hike I had 1L of water, 2nd lunch + snacks (chocolate, granola bars), I had a waterproof windbreaker shell with me, as well as a warmer top layer. I probably also brought gloves, hat, and extra sunscreen. I also had a small first aid kit with me, which contained the basics like bandaids, and also pain pills, in case my knees started hurting. I might have also brought my knee brace with me.

I clearly didn't bring enough water with me, it was mostly gone by the time I got to Skaret. I wasn't sure how far I was going to go in the first place, but I should have brought more. I was really thankful for that Norwegian family.. I don't remember their names even, but they made my climb to the summit possible.

I wonder how it compares to the summit of Mt. Everest? From what I remember winds go up as high as 250km/h up there.

Putting up a shelter at a windy summit that more casual travellers can reach is probably a must. For Everest, climbers wait until the winds die down before they attempt to reach the very summit. If the winds hit you there, I think you are pretty much screwed.

The windiest place I ever hiked was southern Patagonia. We were told to be ready for winds approaching 120km/h. I don't think it ever got that windy, but it was a bit of an eye opener.

Hey, do you mind putting that image of the hut in spoiler tags? It is a bit large, and someone quickly scrolling through this thread might think it's some place in Norway. Thanks!

Cutlass likes this.
  13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 16 - Arrival in Ålesund

Most of the town of Ålesund was destroyed in a large fire in 1904. Surprisingly only 1 person died in the fire, which broke out in the middle of the night and was aided by strong winds.

The town was rebuilt in the style of the time - Art Nouveau. This along with the the surrounding terrain makes Ålesund a unique place to visit.

I had 2 nights booked at an Airbnb at a very central location, but ran into some problems when I arrived at the door. The key wasn't where it was supposed to be. Earlier on in my trip I also received an email notifying me that my host would not be there. He went on a last minute trip somewhere, so at first I was excited that I would have the place to myself. My mood quickly changed when I could not find the key.

Luckily one of the messages he sent me earlier also had a contact number of a "just in case" friend, and after a couple rings I was able to speak to her and convince her to show up with a copy of the key. I checked in and spent the remaining couple hours of the day eating Norwegian things and wandering around looking at stuff.

14. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

This is typical in Norway. Whether your city looks cool or not depends on if it had a fire during an architecturally cool era or not. My town had a big fire in the late 60's with a building boom in the seventies. The result was not much to look at tbh.

warpus likes this.
  15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 17 - A walk around Ålesund

I woke up (on Monday, July 27th) to beautiful blue skies.

After lunch I joined up with a 2 hour long guided walking tour of the town. A Russian student took us around to interesting parts of Ålesund and seemed to know quite a bit about the local history and some of the architecture.

16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 17 - A walk around Ålesund (continued)

This was too interesting to not include.

According to our guide this is a Norwegian invention that was never used - an alternative to cruise ship lifeboats

This statue is named "Sister and Brother"

After the guided tour was complete I kept going on my own in an effort to reach the lighthouse I saw on the other side of the bay.

In the distance you can see Mt. Aksla and a lookout point I was hoping to reach later.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Valka D'Ur, The_J and Cutlass like this.
  17. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Is Uræd just a name or does it mean something?

18. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

It's old Norwegian AKA Danish for fearless(nowadays we write it "uredd").

warpus likes this.
  19. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Interesting. In Anglo-Saxon, ræd meant "council", so Aelfræd (Alfred) meant "elf-council", Aeþelræd (Ethelred) was "royal council" and Unræd ("Unready") was "ill-counselled".

warpus likes this.
  20. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

That resembles the escape pods on the offshore oil platform I worked on.

warpus likes this.