1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Hiking through Norway

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by warpus, May 21, 2018.

1. Leifmk

Leifmk Chieftain

Yep, and then Ålesund also had the good fortune to not get bombed to bits during WW2.

warpus likes this.
  2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

In that first photo, it looks like the windows have musical staffs on them. Is that how they are, or is it a reflection? Or am I just seeing things that aren't there?

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

You are definitely right, the windows do have sheet music on them!

I did some research, and this is the Parken Kulturhus Ålesund building. It seems to be a multi-purpose performance hall. You can check out their website here, although I don't think they have an English version.

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 17 - A walk around Ålesund (continued)

I made my way to the red lighthouse. At the time I had no idea, but it's also a hotel.

You get a great view of Ålesund's inner harbour from here, as well as the Fjellstua lookout point, which sits at the top of Mt. Aksla.

That's exactly where I was headed next. Right at the base of Mt. Aksla I walked through a beautiful park.

There are exactly 418 steps to the Fjellstua lookout point.

There was a little lookout point sticking out along the way named Byrampen.

On the right you can see the red lighthouse hotel I walked here from. At this point I was about 5 minutes from the top.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Very beautiful :)

warpus likes this.
  6. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

I've stayed one night in a hotel in Ålesund because of work. And I agree that the buildings and location is really beautiful. BUT, I had a problem with it. It felt like an empty shell. At night it was one of the deadest city centres I've ever seen. I wanted to buy som electronic stuff and I barely found a shop. And there were barely any people in the street. This was in the fall. Did you have a similar impression? Perhaps tourists make the city more lively in the summer.

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I did find most of my stay there a bit quiet now that you mention it.. but during the guided walk I do remember a slightly more busy part of town, with tourists and (I thought) locals walking around from shop to shop.. It could have been all tourists for all I know. Most of the tourists I saw were climbing or at top of Mt. Aksla. Parts of my walk to the lighthouse hotel were through very empty streets, and I do remember thinking that felt a bit odd too.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 17 - Fjellstua lookout point

The views from the top were incredible.

I like the way this picture turned out

Panorama #1 - Click here for large version

Panorama #2 - Click here for large version

Taking a closer look

I can't not include this striking shot of the Byrampen lookout point. I found it empty on the way down

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 17 - Ålesund Town Park

Turns out the beautiful park I walked through earlier is the Ålesund Town Park. It's right there when you finish your descent

What a great spot to sit down for a bit and read a book! .. which is exactly what I did.

I walked around the park a bit and came upon a statue of Rollo, the first ruler of Normandy. Guess what, he was also a Viking!

The other statue in this park is apparently one of Kaiser Wilhelm II, a thank you for his help rebuilding the city after the great fire. We all know what he looks like though, so no need to include a picture.

After all that walking it was time to celebrate. After a brief online search I headed out to the restaurant with the best view in town.

This place was supposed to have the best Bacalao in Europe, which is Portugese salted cod. It's nothing I was specifically seeking out, but the longer I was in Norway the more adventurous I was with the type of seafood I was willing to try. Plus it was a budgeted splurge meal so you gotta make it interesting

I will put spoiler tags around this picture, as it has nothing to do with Norway really. The dish was pretty interesting in presentation and great in taste though so I'm including it. 3 of the bowls have a different kind of cod each, one is a salad, and one potatoes.

Spoiler :
    I also had some whale carpaccio as part of the meal. It was okay. Before I even put in the order I did my research and made sure that Norway has strict standards about the whales it catches for food. After making absolutely sure I was not contributing to the problem, I decided to give it a try and.. It basically just tastes like beef, but a bit off. The raw version is definitely not worth the extra cost.

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 18 - Scenic bus ride to Bergen

I jumped on an early morning 10 hour long scenic bus ride to Bergen.

Here you can see the route in the context of the trip so far.

Pictures from the bus ride coming early next week.

11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 18 - Scenic bus ride to Bergen

It is not easy to take good pictures from a moving bus, but I managed to get a couple decent ones in there. My notes rightly call this part of the trip "amazingly beautiful".

You'd think ten hours on a bus would tire you out, and it usually does.. but I found myself so distracted looking around for most of the ride that the time just flew by.. There was interesting scenery around almost every corner. The 3 ferry crossings also spiced things up a bit.

There were several stops along the way, including a half an hour stop for lunch. This is worth mentioning because now I get to show you the bus so you can see the name of the bus company.

I had previously assumed I would be reading for most of the ride.. Nope.. Spent the whole time looking out the window.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  12. Valka D'Ur

That's how I am when on trips through the Rockies and in B.C. The people who live there see it every day so it's nothing new, but I did my napping between Red Deer and about halfway to Canmore (or Rocky Mountain House, if taking the David Thompson route). I stayed awake the rest of the trip.

The only time when I did sleep through the mountains was one Greyhound trip back in 1982 that was an overnight one, from Vernon to Calgary, then Calgary to Red Deer. It was pitch black outside, and I couldn't see anything other than a vague outline of mountains once we got near Banff (the one break we had was to change drivers in Revelstoke; I assume he'd been driving since leaving Vancouver). That trip was in April and was freezing. Thank goodness I had my winter coat with me, and I was envying the elderly woman in the seat behind me; she'd spent the trip crocheting an afghan.

I'd spent a few days in Vernon with my mother and her second husband, visiting his parents and daughter. The only reasons I made such a trip home were because I was in college at the time and had a final exam coming up in French (my mother couldn't figure out why I'd want to go home a few days early and study :rolleyes:), and also because I was working in the theatre that year and after the Easter break we had rehearsals to get back to ("The Sound of Music").

So good for you, @warpus, for staying awake. Those are lovely photos. :)

warpus likes this.
  13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 18 - Scenic bus ride to Bergen (continued)

14. Valka D'Ur

I'm sure these are not giant marshmallows, but that's what they look like... :crazyeye:

The_J and warpus like this.
  15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Thanks! You can see some of Oslo through my eyes here

16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Scenic bus ride to Bergen Video

I just finished putting this together! What you're looking at are snapshots of the bus ride in chronological order, slowed down a bit and set to John Hopkins. All footage taken using my camera (and not the GoPro)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Cutlass likes this.
  17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 18 - A brief stop in Bergen

After checking in to my room at 6:30pm I had about 13 hours until a boat was due to pick me up and take me to my next destination.

Bergen is the 2nd largest city in the country and this was the only way I could fit it in and make it work with the rest of the trip. It was either this or bypass it completely, which is why the scheduling here is so crazy. Fortunately I found a good central accommodation and most of the things I wanted to see were nearby. I was actually able to make a great day out of it without rushing too much.

I was staying in a Pensjonat, which is worth reading about if you're curious about the differences between a pensjonat and a Bed & Breakfast. For me as a traveller it meant a quiet & cozy little private room in a central part of town for a relatively cheap cost. The hostess was an elderly Norwegian woman who went out of her way to make my stay comfortable. It was great, it basically felt like I was staying at my grandmother's place.

Somehow I found the time to squeeze in a traditional Norwegian meatball dinner at a restaurant recommended to me by the new friend I met on day 7 in Otta. Afterwards I still had a couple hours of sunlight to explore and see a bit of the city.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  18. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

I like the bubbles

warpus likes this.
  19. Valka D'Ur

What are those bubbles in the top photo? At first I thought they might be transparent lights, but they don't seem to be attached to anything. Was someone just blowing bubbles, then?

20. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

There is a man on the left side of the picture who most likely has a piece of wire between the sticks to make the bubbles from the bowl of soapy water in front of him.

warpus likes this.