1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Hiking through Norway

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by warpus, May 21, 2018.

1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 20 - Gudvangen

Gudvangen is a tiny village situated at the end of the Nærøyfjord, which ended up being my favourite of all the fjords.

There is really nothing to do in Gudvangen. I was here to jump on a ferry back to Flåm.

Looking back towards Gudvangen, as the ferry departs

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 20 - Through the Nærøyfjord

The church you can see above is the Bakka Church, which was built in 1859.

The_J, Valka D'Ur and Cutlass like this.
  3. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

OOOH! They have falling down barns too! ;)

4. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Man do we ever!!

Cutlass likes this.
  5. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Some barns are just really lazy... no sense of self-respect or work ethic. :shake:

Snerk likes this.
  6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

What if I told you I know the name of that barn and have a short story to tell about it? Well, unfortunately I don't. But I do have more pictures, and they are coming soon!

Cutlass likes this.
  7. Valka D'Ur

:thumbsup:

:(

:clap:

8. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

Its just outside Gudvangen on the south side of the fjord. Could not tell exact place from google.

warpus likes this.
  9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 20 - Through the Nærøyfjord (continued)

Nærøyfjord is a very narrow fjord. It's so pretty that it's been voted the world's number one natural heritage site by the National Geographic Society (alongside the Geirangerfjord).

I don't think there's been enough Norwegian flags in this thread.

The ferry passes two villages on the way to Flåm and stops at one of them.

After returning to Flåm I visited a local brewery, the Ægir BrewPub. The outside of the building looks like a Stave church, while the building's style is inspired by Norse mythology. It is one of the few eateries in Flåm and I have no idea why I didn't take any pictures.

I ate a Viking steak burger for dinner there and according to my notes rated it at 8.2/10

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 21 - Flåmsbana

The Flåmsbana (The Flåm Line) is a 20km rail line that connects Flåm to the Bergen Line, which runs between Oslo and Bergen. It has 10 stations, 20 tunnels, a bridge, and an elevation difference of 863 metres. This makes it the steepest standard-gauge railway in Europe.

This being the 3rd most visited tourist attraction in the country, I was very happy when I secured my ticket!

The reason why I was taking the train to Finse and did not have a return ticket will be explained later.

Here's some shots from the ride up to Myrdal:

The_J, Cutlass and Valka D'Ur like this.
  11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 21 - Flåmsbana (continued)

Along the way the train stops at the Kjosfossen waterfall, which in itself is one of the most visited tourist attractions in all of Norway. There is a power station here that powers the Flåmbana railway.

The ride itself is very interesting. There are many twists and turns, tunnels, and steep inclines.

12. Valka D'Ur

This is spectacular!

warpus likes this.
  13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 21 - Flåmsbana transfer in Myrdal and arrival in Finse

The Flåmsbana was a great experience

Myrdal is the transfer point for the most popular tourist rail line in Norway and the line that connects the two biggest cities in the country.

After transferring over to the Bergen Line I took a train two stations east to Finse.

I would be using a different mode of transportation to return to Flåm.

14. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

Or Hoth as it's also known. At least in winter.

warpus likes this.
  15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

That's right, this is where the Battle of Hoth was filmed from the Empire Strikes Back! You can read more about that here. Thanks for pointing that out btw! I totally forgot about that

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Valka D'Ur likes this.
  16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 21 - Rallarvegen

Rallarvegen (The Navvy Road) is an unpaved access road for the Oslo-Bergen rail line that was built alongside it in the early 1900s. It is now a popular mountain biking route; about 20,000 cyclists ride it every year.

The full route is 80km long, but a popular starting point is Finse, which cuts that down to 55km. Unfortunately there was still too much snow on the ground and some of the route was closed. I had to start my biking adventure in Hallingskeid instead. This cut down the route further to about 35km.

The below map outlines the route. Once in Finse I rented a bike, jumped on a train to Hallingskeid (second red marker from right), and biked back to Flåm from there. The cycling part took about 5-6 hours total.

I booked my bike online ahead of time in order to guarantee availability.

After that it was a matter of waiting for a train heading in the right direction and leaving my bike in a special car designed for bike storage.

I took the following picture from the train.. It did not surprise me that the bike route was impassable in some sections..

Finally the train arrived in Hallingskeid. Everybody was there for the same reason.

I was able to spot my bike slightly ahead of time, which made it easier to claim it as it was being unloaded..

And then I was off! It was time to begin my first ever mountain bike adventure

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    trader/warrior, The_J and Cutlass like this.
  17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 21 - Rallarvegen (continued)

This is the description of my bike as taken from the bike rental company website:

I am not a seasoned rider and was definitely not used to a front and rear gear system. I picked out this bike as a compromise between an even more technical bike and a more regular one, and was advised by several people to do so. It ended up working out well, but the first couple minutes were .. interesting.

When I first got on and tried to start cycling I almost fell a couple times. I found it hard to adjust at first.. It took a couple minutes, but finally I figured out how to use the gears properly and how to not lose balance so easily. It did not help that at the beginning you're biking on something resembling gravel.

I've been riding bikes my whole life, so I'm really comfortable on one. This one felt a bit weird at first, but after a couple minutes I was feeling like it was an extension of my body. For me that's a great feeling and in this case a memory I will probably never forget.

As I gained more confidence I started passing people. The surface was uneven and unpredictable but my bike was easily able to adapt to the terrain. I actually felt like I thought I knew what I was doing.

Parts of the route would have been completely covered in 2+m deep snow if they weren't cleared by (I assume) specialized equipment. Unfortunately there are no photos of any of that, as most of the time I was busy staying focused on the road. However, I did record a lot of the ride on my goPro and an edited version of the footage is coming later!

The slope was at times a bit unpredictable. The following photo was taken about an hour into the ride, and I found myself getting a bit tired trying to bike up these sections. For this particular one I had to get off my bike and walk up, which is why I also used the opportunity to rest and take some pictures.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 21 - Rallarvegen (continued)

I remember arriving here and thinking "This part is going to be fun! ... but possibly dangerous"

The trail basically takes you to that red house on the left side of the lake, and you bike alongside that lake and keep going in that direction. On the way down this hill though you have to be careful not to go too fast. It would be far too easy to spin out of control if you did. Keeping my speed in check by applying the brakes on a regular basis was key, although as you will see later in the video I was comfortable going fast enough.

Breaks were had along the way.

After a couple hours I arrived in Myrdal. This is where the two rail lines connect and where the Flåmsbana transfer point is. I found a great spot for a break and a late lunch not too far from the train station.

After this it was all downhill back to Flåm, through the Flåmsdalen valley.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  19. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I like how the bike wheels are advertised in inches...

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It sounds like this is the standard for international mountain bike wheels: