1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Hiking through Norway

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by warpus, May 21, 2018.

1. wolfigor

wolfigor Chieftain

I still have great memories of the first time I went to Lofoten over 20 years ago: an amazing road trip in the land of never setting sun.
    From your photos I can see that very little have changed there.
    In that trip I did reach a bit further, to the village of Å (the whortest name in the world) and got ferry to Bødo before travelling back north to Narvik.
    One thing that really amazed/surprised me was the huge racks of stockfrish: http://www.bootsandabackpack.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/DSC_2362-Edit-Edit-550x365.jpg

You can see them everywhere, really everywhere: some just drying in the dry cool air others open-air smoked.
    Many of them (mostly at the end of the season) were just the heads.
    The body of the dried stockfish is going straight to other countries where it becomes typical mediterranean dishes like the portughese bacalao and the italian Baccalà : this is a tradition since the middle ages.
    The heads, I was told there, that go to other countries, mostly African countries where thery are often used as traditional feritliser.

My friends wanted to buy some of that dried stockfish directly at the production place: no luck, ALL of it was already sold for export.
    Similar happened when we wanted to get some fish at restaurants: no fish, because the locals are all fishmen, they have fish daily, they would never pay a restaurant for it.
    I hope now they have some more flexibility for turists. :)

warpus and Snerk like this.
  2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 31 - Rainy Spaghetti

There are no pictures for this day, no videos, and no log in the journal, but I made spaghetti this day

I walked in the rain for about 3km in order to buy the ingredients for the spaghetti, but there was nothing else to do and I wanted to save money (and make a meal that would last two days).

On the walk back there was even more rain, and the on-going question of the plastic bags and their survival. See, the problem was that I bought too many ingredients, and I overestimated the amount of beer I would need for the next couple of days. As a result the walk back to the cabin was not fun at all.. but the bags ended up surviving and the food did not get wet!

So that's all I did this day, I made some spaghetti with meat sauce, just like my mom used to make. I'm not sure if it's worth writing about.. but I remember this day fondly, even though it was a monday

Valka D'Ur and The_J like this.
  3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 32 - Reinebringen

Most of my time on the Lofoten islands had been accompanied by clouds and/or rain.. so when I woke up to perfectly blue skies I was overjoyed! This meant that I could hike up to the Reinebringen lookout point! Up until then it seemed to always be covered in clouds.. or have clouds dangerously nearby.

The Reinebringen lookout point can be found right at the top of Reinebringen mountain. It's the one on the left

Fortunately the climb is not as steep as it looks. You actually start your ascent from the other side, which is a bit more forgiving.

First you have to get there mind you.. which involves walking down the road and around the mountain..

On the way there there are a couple spots where you can get a great shot of Reine

On the way out of town I walked into a tourist info type place, where I was told to do the hike "at my own risk". Apparently all the rain over the last couple days really washed away a whole bunch of the trail and it was now unstable enough for local authorities to deem the hike to be "potentially dangerous".

Not discouraged, I figured I would at least walk to the trailhead..

It wasn't looking good.. But I walked up the trail a bit and saw people up ahead making the climb. Up at the top I saw people as well.. Not a great litmus test for safety, but good enough for me.. and if it got bad, I could always turn around.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Cutlass, The_J and Silurian like this.
  4. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Next time use your backpack to carry your loot. :)

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It's possible I had my daypack with me, but I can't really remember. My main memory is holding the bags in my hands and hoping that they would last long enough for me to get back to the comforts of the cabin

6. Cutlass

Should you find yourself in a similar situation again, try to think to dump out the pack in the cabin and go for supplies with an empty pack.

7. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

I assume Lose Stener is loose stones

warpus likes this.
  8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Knowing the way I think, I would have brought my daypack.. but ended up buying way too much stuff and needed bags as well. Unpacking the main bag could have been planned for, but it was just that kind of day

Google translate agrees with you

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Silurian and Cutlass like this.
  9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 32 - Reinebringen (continued)

The climb up to the lookout point took just over an hour. The trail was washed away in some sections, there was a lot of mud, and it was pretty steep, so I did not move very fast, and neither did anybody else I saw on the trail.. It was an annoying climb!

Here's some pictures from about 45 minutes up. I am basically facing in the opposite direction as Reine (and my cabin), which is behind the mountain behind me.

Down below you can also see the entrance to the tunnel, which is sort of where the climb up began.

15 minutes later I was at the top! One of my favourite views in the whole country:

Seeing Reine from this vantage point was mesmerizing. I sat down for lunch and just stared in this direction for a while

And you can't quite see my cabin here, I believe it is just out of view there on the right.. but you can see the grocery store I walked to in the rain! If you follow the road as it disappears behind the mountain, and re-appears on the left, keep going until you end up on the second island, after the bridge. The grocery store is there, it's the bigger dark red/brown building I think.. I could see it from the restaurant by my cabin.. But to get to it you have to walk allll the way around.

Valka D'Ur, The_J, Morty and 2 others like this.
  10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The Climb up to Reinebringen Video

I put together a video of the climb up to the lookout point.

I did not add any music and this time you get to hear my heartbeat instead.. and some wind.. and me breathing.. and stuff like that

Think of it as an immersive first person experience.

Cutlass likes this.
  11. Cutlass

That didn't look like a good trail at all. And you forgot your hiking poles. ;) Good image quality your machine got though.

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, it was a very tedious climb up! Well worth it in the end though

I left the hiking pole behind because it would have gotten in the way.

13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I spent about 20 minutes at the lookout point and then proceeded to make my way down the trail that followed the top of the ridge. This wasn't my original plan, but after learning of the existence of the trail and after talking to some people just returning from that direction, I decided to forge ahead!

Almost right away I was rewarded with spectacular views of Lake Reinevatnet

In the distance you can see the full length of the Kjerkfjorden

Looking back, you could not see the Reinebringen lookout point anymore. It's right in between the two peaks at the end of the ridge:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Hygro, Cutlass, The_J and 3 others like this.
  14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I continued up the ridge. Parts of the trail were becoming more technically interesting and the trail was quite narrow at times. I was operating at a heightened sense of awareness of my surroundings and an increased focus on the task at hand.

Spectacular views surrounded me in all directions and continued to unfold in interesting ways

I saw something unexpected in the distance.

Vikings! At this time of year? In this part of the arctic? Probably just tourists then.

Morty, The_J and Cutlass like this.
  15. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Evidently you didn't study certain aspects of Viking history before embarking on this trip. Hagar and Lucky Eddie are apt to leave on an expedition every time Helga decides to invite her mother-in-law for a visit. So you probably witnessed that.

:p

warpus likes this.
  16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Several parts of the trail required me to climb up, which sometimes meant I needed to stop and look around to figure out the best way forward. These parts weren't necessarily dangerous, but at times it seemed like you had to put your limbs in specific places and hold on to specific rocks or roots to get up. I am an inexperienced climber, so I took my time and made sure that every grip and step would put me in a good position.

You will see some of this in action in the videos, but for now here's some more pictures I took along the way:

Looking back:

In the distance up ahead I saw hikers. I saw them earlier and for a while they were out of view.. It was good to see them again - it made me feel like I wasn't alone.. It also made me feel more confident that the rest of the hike was something I could handle.

Yes, they had a dog with them! I figured if they can make it there with a dog, so can I..

As you will see later in the videos, some of the trail was so "interesting" that I'm not sure how a dog made its way up there. It's very possible there is a very specific route you can take that's more canine friendly, if you know where you go.. You would't think that a ridge would give you so many options, but you'd be surprised..

Here's a zoomed out version of the above shot:

Eventually I came to a bit of a turn in the ridge. What happens is you can finally see what's on the other side of the mountain. It opens up a completely new landscape to your senses

I sat down and cracked open a beer. I had one with me and this seemed like the perfect spot to sit down and enjoy a break

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Morty, The_J, Silurian and 2 others like this.
  17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

After lunch I had to figure out the best way to get down to where you saw the group of hikers in two of the photos above, from where I would be able to continue climbing the ridge. I took my time and took pictures along the way:

I don't want to bombard you with pictures of the same scenery over and over, even though it's all so beautiful.. For something different, this is me looking back to Reinebringen lookout point. If you look closely you should see people.

Morty, The_J, Silurian and 2 others like this.
  18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

After traversing some tricky parts of the trail I made my way to the end. This was as far as you could go, at least as far as I could tell! A whole new landscape opened up in front of me.

This looks a bit deceiving, as there is a steep drop down in between where I am and that green space up ahead.

I spent at least a half an hour here, resting and taking in the views. With my trip close to its end, I was happy to have found this place and to have made my way here. It was so serene and beautiful and I didn't want to leave

Morty, The_J, Valka D'Ur and 2 others like this.
  19. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

This is how I feel every time I go to somewhere in the Rockies - Banff, Canmore, Three Valley Gap, Field, etc.

What an amazing view!

warpus likes this.
  20. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Incredible photos