1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Hiking through Norway

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by warpus, May 21, 2018.

1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Amazing views :goodjob:.

I wonder... on my last Spain trip I had my 13kg backpack with me on some days...and on the first one that was okay, but at the second day it was nearly killing me. And I thought I am sufficiently trained and strong. I could not imagine hiking with that.
    How did you feel? I dont think the weight gets less over time there either.

2. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

Did you have all the drinking water you needed with you or did you find some on the way?

3. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I'm more or less planning to visit Gros Morne park in Newfoundland this fall. From what I read of the place, that could fit the bill for you. Cape Breton park also has short and medium hiking trails.

EricTheGreat12 likes this.
  4. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

Interesting! I am currently in Norway and will be doing some minor hikes and some musk ox safari soon. I am planning Lofoten archipelago and far north next year...

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 7 - Otta

I woke up to this

The Besseggen Ridge, on the right

How much different would my hike have been if the weather was a bit more like this? In the end I accepted my place in "The Land of the Giants" and will never forget a very memorable hiking experience.

At 9:35am I jumped on a bus to Otta, the next stop on my itinerary. The ride took about 2 hours.

For context you can spot Lake Gjende and day 2 of the hike

Beautiful landscapes all around

I am pretty sure this is (lake) Øvre Sjodalsvatnet. And my reflection in the bus window

After arriving in Otta, I checked into the only hotel in town, took a shower, ate lunch, and explored the town a bit.

Unfortunately I am unable to provide any context for this photo

There isn't really much to Otta overall. 1,600 or so people live here.

My main object of interest in Otta was the train station

I had time to kill so I walked here to scope out the place, as the next day I would be taking a train further north.

For dinner I went to a local pizza joint. I ordered too much food, offered some to the only other person there (a Norwegian named Ingrid), and ended up meeting a group of Norwegian students who were planning on camping overnight in Otta and heading off into Rondane National Park the next morning for an extended hike.

Rondane is the oldest park in Norway and an important habitat for wild reindeer. It had been on my radar as a possible travel destination, but unfortunately I could not fit it into my schedule, even though it was very accessible from Otta.

I was recovering well from my hike and fell asleep dreaming of Norwegian women named Ingrid.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Unfortunately I have not yet been out there, but the park Cutlass suggests (Gros Morne) is supposed to be great for hiking. The pictures from that place look amazing

Two days of hiking through Jotunheimen National Park with 15kg on my back definitely took their toll on my body! Overall the weight didn't bother me so much during the hike itself, but those uphill sections early on (on both days) were a bit of a kick in the butt.

I have experience carrying similar (and larger) amounts over longer distances in Chile, New Zealand, and Peru, so I sort of knew what to expect. I also really like my backpack, it's very comfortable and puts all the weight on my hips and none on my shoulders. So if you get a good stride going, sometimes you don't even feel the weight. It tires you out all the same, but a comfortable well fitted backpack can go a long way.

I had a 1L water bottle with me and it was enough for each day. I don't think there were any reliable flowing water sources along the way, but I did have water purification tablets on me in case of an emergency.

Sounds like fun! You will find more information on the Lofoten islands near the end of my trip

The_J likes this.
  7. Cutlass

How did you keep notes along the way to have so much detail years later?

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I always bring a little notepad with me on every trip, and at the end of every day I take the time to write out the highlights of the day, so I can remember later. It's basically a travel journal, but it's not very detailed, just point form notes to help me remember.

The next post here will have to wait a bit as I prepare some media. The next day in the itinerary was a white water rafting trip which I have fully recorded via my goPro. It's pretty damn long though (1.5hr+), so I've been working on editing the footage so that it is more accessible. There are a lot of sections worth keeping so I've been rewatching and editing.. So far I've made my way through about 30% of the footage and managed to cut out about 50% of it. That's not nearly enough, and I've been super busy lately, but I'll try to find some time to finish that up in the next couple days

Cutlass likes this.
  9. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I seem to recall that you posted a few minutes of it some time ago on your YouTube channel.

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

There are a couple parts from the white water rafting trip in my "Norway 2015" highlights video. I don't want to say "random clips", but when I was putting that together I did not go through all the white water rafting footage, I just picked out some parts that looked good to give people an idea of what I did that day. For the video I'm assembling now (75% complete!!) you will be taken through the white water rafting trip from start to finish, with the more boring parts taken out.

Valka D'Ur and The_J like this.
  11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 8 Teaser Trailer

Due to the World Cup and other events I am way behind posting updates here. I apologize for that wholeheartedly, but I did not realize how crazy things were going to get... The main video is almost ready to go, but for now here's a quick slo-mo teaser trailer for day 8

Don't forget to bump it up to 1080p

Cutlass likes this.
  12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 8 - Sjoa Whitewater rafting

I booked a whitewater rafting trip on the Sjoa river well ahead of time. I'd never done anything of the sort, but turns out the Sjoa river is one of the best places in Norway to go whitewater rafting (and is very close to Otta). At 9:30am the owner of the rafting company picked me up from my hotel personally, and half an hour later I was putting on a wetsuit.

I was able to edit the footage of the 2+ hour rafting trip down to 34 or so minutes. If you watch the whole video you will get a very good idea of what the whitewater rafting trip was like. But if you're not patient enough to do that, there's an index with links to key parts of the video in the spoiler tags.

Spoiler :

The water in the Sjoa river was very cold.! The wetsuit helped keep me warm a bit, but overall I was pretty damn cold.. After I got back to my hotel I took a nice long hot shower.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  13. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Haven't watched the whole thing, but I wonder...with that positioning on the boat, how you sit, I really wonder how you're not falling all the time into the water.

14. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

It looks like they had their feet in straps on the bottom of the boat.

The_J likes this.
  15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I'm about to (in the next couple hours) post a 4 min long "slo-mo highlights" version of the video that (IIRC) includes 2 instances of somebody almost falling off. Also look for the "swim swim swim!" marker, ending up in the water is not so uncommon!

Yeah we were instructed to "lock in" our feet into strap-like things.. but IIRC not all the seats had straps

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    The_J likes this.
  16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 8 - Sjoa Whitewater rafting slomo highlights reel

Bonus 4 minute long video that contains all the highlights you would ever want to see

The_J likes this.
  17. Cutlass

Nice vid. I assume you rent the wetsuit from the raft company? I liked how everyone was speaking English, even in Norway. That red bearded guy certainly looked the part of viking.

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, the booking included the wetsuit rental and IIRC a warm lunch. It looked and felt like a family-ran operation

I don't think anybody on my raft was actually Norwegian! The guide was from New Zealand, and the family was from Denmark. According to my notes the other guides were from Nepal, Patagonia, and Chile. The owner, who picked me up in the morning at my hotel, spoke pretty good English overall though, as did his wife

19. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

That part where everyone does a back flip into the water... why did that happen? Initiation? Celebration? "You're going to fall out anyway, so get the first time out of the way where it's safe"?

20. Cutlass

I notice that there were a large number of rafts and people. So seems like a popular destination there. And those rafts are really tough.