1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Hiking through Norway

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by warpus, May 21, 2018.

1. Silurian

Silurian Warlord

I assume that they were all from the same company.
    It would make it easier to pick someone up if there are more boats.
    The vehicle at the end looked like it could carry more than one raft.

2. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

Linus Torvalds removes MS-DOS from his computer.

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I'm not really sure to be honest, but it was a part of the trip where all the rafts stopped for a bit. I assume it's a part of the river that's known to be deeper, because when we arrived people in other rafts were jumping into the water. So then one of the Danes on our raft did a flip and the rest of us followed suit (or at least tried). The water was really cold so it did not last very long.

I suspect it's just a part of the river that's well suited for taking a break, so all the rafts stop there in order to catch up to each other.. and while waiting people take advantage of the break to go for a swim

Sjoa is supposedly one of the best whitewater rafting rivers in all of Europe. It happened to be right on my route heading north out of Jotunheimen Nat. Park, so I tried to figure out a way to fit it into my schedule. I'd never gone whitewater rafting before and this seemed like a great place to get my feet wet. I emailed two rafting companies operating in the area and one agreed to pick me up at my hotel in Otta, about a half an hour away. The owner himself showed up to pick me up that morning, then dropped me off at my hotel after it was all said and done. The timing was perfect, I was able to casually check out of my hotel and caught my train with no problems.

Yeah, we all arrived on a bus that contained a total or 4-6 groups/rafts. There was at least one other bus there, possibly from another company. At the end of the (34min long) video you can see the Danes lifting the raft back onto the trailer, where some other rafts were loaded on as well.

It's got to be a pretty popular whitewater rafting destination, as the guides were from such remote parts of the world... New Zealand, Peru, Patagonia, Chile... I don't know if it would make sense to fly down people from all over the world to work for your company unless it gets good business on a consistent basis

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 8 - Train to Åndalsnes

My train to Åndalsnes was not scheduled to depart until 5:36pm, but by 4pm I was at the Otta train station, ready to go. I guess I had nothing else to do and still felt energized after that intense whitewater rafting experience!

I was due to arrive in Åndalsnes just before 8pm and had a 25 minute layover in a place called Dombås, which I forgot to mark on the map.

The Sjoa Whitewater Rafting company HQ is marked in purple. You can also see a bit of Jotunheimen National Park sticking out in the middle at the bottom.

This was taken just a couple minutes before we pulled into Dombås

The part of the train ride from Dombås to Åndalsnes is a scenic route which I was really looking forward to. It takes you through the Romsdalen Valley, which is incredible. I managed to snap a couple half-decent photos from my seat.

Here's Europe's tallest vertical rock face, Trollveggen (The Troll Wall)

I would cross paths with the Troll Wall again

I took some videos from the train ride, and they didn't turn out great, but here's one

Here's a more official promo video of this exact route (going in the other direction)

Getting closer to Åndalsnes now

I was hoping the skies would clear up, as I had a big hike planned for the next day that would take me fairly high up

On the train I sat beside & across from a Swedish couple, who ended up helping me when we got to Åndalsnes. I had booked a hostel a short distance outside of town and was trying to figure out how to get there; they said they could drop me off, since a friend was going to be picking them up at the train station in a car.

Their friend was waiting for them with pizza, which they offered to me, and which I gladly accepted. I wish I could remember any names here, because these were all around awesome people. At first we couldn't figure out where to go to find the only hostel in town that I had booked, but it's not a very big place and 15 minutes later I was checking into a dorm room style accommodation.

After getting settled I walked back to the town centre, which was a 25 minute walk. I got rained on a bit, but did manage to take in some sights

For dinner I went to the restaurant where the Swedes got the pizza and ate kebabs.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  5. Leifmk

Leifmk Chieftain

Getting close to the area where I grew up now!

...man, I miss living somewhere with mountains.

warpus and Snerk like this.
  6. Leifmk

Leifmk Chieftain

Seriously, where I grew up on the coast you could always tell where you were just by looking around at the horizon and figuring it out from which mountains you could see where. Not so easy here in the southeast where it's just hills and fields and forests and not a proper landmark anywhere.

warpus likes this.
  7. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

What about Postbygget? :mischief:

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 9 - The Romsdalseggen Ridge

The main reason I was in Åndalsnes was to complete the Romsdalseggen Ridge day hike. I already had a bus booked to the trailhead, but considered changing my plans as it was cloudy outside and the weather forecast did not look great either. After some deliberation over breakfast and a conversation with the person at the front desk I decided to go ahead with the hike. I walked to the town centre and was picked up at 9:30am.

The bus ride was fairly short and by 10:30am I was on my way to the top of the ridge.

Here I am looking back down from where I came

These boots tell a story, but I do not know what it is

At about 11am it became clear that the clouds were going to be a bit of a problem. Visibility was getting worse by the second and so I stopped for a chat with the German couple who was nearby. We had been passing each other for the past hour and so we stopped and pooled our resources and had a debate as to whether we should continue the hike or head back.

I tried to take a selfie with the clouds that were rolling in, but my camera wasn't having any of it

One of the Germans actually had a moderately sophisticated GPS device with him along with the whole trail mapped out in great detail. Turns out he's a hobbyist surveyor! This was going to help. We decided to press ahead for now, but turn back if conditions got worse. We had an idea of what was up ahead, and it was a fairly challenging hike overall, but we weren't ready to call it quits yet.

The conditions got worse and it started raining. The trail was now taking us over rocky and slippery terrain. It wasn't dangerous, but visibility was very poor, and I did slip and fall once, but fortunately suffered no lasting injuries. We felt confident walking together as a group, knew exactly where we were, and were getting closer to the top. We also had all the rain gear we needed, so we pressed ahead.

There are no pictures from the next 2 hours due to the rain, but at 1pm we reached a milestone! Fortunately it also stopped raining, so we could relax a bit and celebrate.

We weren't there yet, but it felt great making it this far. The trail ahead looked a bit deadly

Beautiful vistas should have been greeting us here. There is about a 1km drop on the left and 700m on the right. We tried not to think about it and very carefully pressed on ahead.

9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 9 - The Romsdalseggen Ridge (continued)

At 2pm we arrived at the next lookout point.

You should be able to see an epic panorama of the Romsdalen Valley here

My German hiking companions lead the way

About a half an hour later we arrived at the main lookout point on the trail. And just like that the clouds began to part..

The view seemed a bit surreal, but the timing couldn't have been any better

shadowplay, The_J, Valka D'Ur and 2 others like this.
  10. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

How's your spoken German these days?

11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Not great, but all the Germans I ever meet when I travel want to practice their English. And their English is always a lot better than my German, including in this case.

12. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Is moh metres above sea level or some such?

warpus likes this.
  13. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

"Meter over havet" Metres above sea.

So yes.

warpus and Arakhor like this.
  14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

We started hiking at about 300 or 400 or so metres above sea level. Max elevation change going up was about about 800 metres. The descent down took us all the way down to sea level (The trail ends right in the city, as you will later see)

15. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

What's that black box for, on the side of the pile of rocks?

About that abandoned pair of boots... That is so much like a lot of scenes in FRPG games! The characters are out in the middle of nowhere, and suddenly find some item or other and someone in the group is always curious to see what it is, and if it's at all valuable, or at least useful. They could end up with a pretty good magical item, or it could be cursed. Nobody seems to give much thought as to why the thing was abandoned in the first place, but the possibilities are interesting to think about.

16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

This box probably has a little book inside where you can sign in. I saw similar boxes on other trails. It's probably very helpful when somebody goes missing.

I suspect what happened in this case is somebody parked at the trailhead where I started hiking, hiked up to the top, and then returned back to their car the way they came. On the way down they probably felt a great sense of accomplishment, as it's not an easy trail at all, and probably had a backup pair of sneakers in their daypack. Descent after that point would not have been that bad, so if they had a backup pair of shoes they didn't need hiking boots for that section at all.

Some hiking trails have a bit of a tradition where hikers will leave their boots behind as they complete the trail. Could have been something like that here.

17. Valka D'Ur

So they buy new boots every time they go hiking? Are the abandoned boots eventually gathered up and disposed of?

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Too bad I didn't include the photo of this in my New Zealand thread (I just checked). At the very end of the Milford Track you will find a whole bunch of boots hung up, right by the "Sandfly Point" sign. They're all in the same place, so probably easy for maintenance crews to dispose of, but I don't really know how often they do this. When I was there there were a LOT of boots hanging there. That's the only trail where I saw this in full effect really so I don't think it's super common.. but it happens, and so far that's my only explanation for that pair of boots on the Romsdalseggen Ridge

19. Valka D'Ur

Well, it's an interesting tradition, if a bit odd (to my way of thinking, since the only reason I'd ever dispose of footwear is if it was worn out past usefulness).

20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 9 - The Romsdalseggen Ridge (continued)

The clouds began to close in again, but not before I managed to get this shot of the Romsdalshornet mountain partially sticking out through the clouds

After the clouds covered up most of the view again we packed up and moved on. According to my new German friend's GPS unit we were due for a turn to the left and the beginning of the descent. We weren't quite sure what to expect, but it definitely wasn't this:

Parts of the descent were hairy indeed. We took our time