1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Hiking through Norway

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by warpus, May 21, 2018.

1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 12 - Trollstigen Video

This is 9 minutes of uninterrupted and unedited footage as we went up the Trollstigen switchbacks.

It's definitely worth watching the whole thing

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Valka D'Ur and Cutlass like this.
  2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

This makes me realize how much I miss being in the mountains. Rogers Pass is much safer now than it was in the '60s and '70s, and it was a nerve-wracking trip through there. The scenery was wonderful, though.

This is indeed spectacular. I wonder if the road gets washed out much by flooding or slides.

warpus likes this.
  3. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

That mountain is extremely purple!

4. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Do you know how much elevation change there is bottom to top on that road?

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

In one of the photos you can see that the road has been changed in one of the sections. Since it's such a popular route I bet it sees a healthy amount of regular maintenance, so they are probably ready for problems before they happen. I'm not sure how much of a problem there is with flooding though. I couldn't find anything online, so I would guess it's not a problem, most of the water probably simply follows the river & waterfalls.

It's probably just the postprocessing effects from my camera. I am posting all photos as my camera has presented them to me, and have been doing 0 postprocessing of my own on top of that. It's a sony point and shoot, and it's pretty good, but when the lighting is weird it can look a bit funny.

The lookout point is at about 700m and the top of the pass is at 850m or so. As for elevation change, it says that the waterfall falls 320 metres straight down, but somewhere else I saw it written that one of the lookout points is about 200m above the valley below. So my guess is 200-300m or so, from where the switchbacks start, to the lookout points/restaurant/tourist centre, which is close to the top. If you take Trollstigen down and continue down the road, you'll eventually approach sea level.

Valka D'Ur and Cutlass like this.
  6. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

I did the Troll road just a two weeks ago and we had to stop in the middle of the climb becouse of a biker accident. Medical helicopter came in through the valley to pick him up but the wait wasnt too big especially when you have a spectacular view at your disposal. The problem with this part of Norway and the fjord which follows is that its really turisty. But of course since Norway is bigger then Germany with population of only 5 mil. its not that difficult to "get lost" in some magnificent nature. Not that many countries you can do that in Europe really...

warpus likes this.
  7. trader/warrior

trader/warrior Chieftain

A bit sad you had to endure all that cloudy and rainy weather, though that is quite typical of western Norway, where the mountains trap the atlantic storms.

I kind of wish you had gone this year which has been probably the most ridiculously sunny summer ever over here. It's a literal drought which I have never experienced before.

Bike accident? Did he go backwards? :p

(Ignore the obvious fast forwarding making it seem cooler than it is)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    The_J, Mechanicalsalvation and warpus like this.
  8. Valka D'Ur

Some mountains actually do appear to be various shades of blue and purple. There's a reason why the first song I ever learned to play was called "In the Blue Canadian Rockies."

9. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

So it would appear! I'm used to British mountains looking purple in the distance, but not close up.

10. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

It didn't get into the song lyrics by accident. :p

11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I was hoping to get in another round of pics before my camping trip.. but unfortunately I was up half the night wrapping up something for work instead. I will be gone for a week, returning next weekend.

Here's a shot of a troll I took just before we departed the Trollstigen souvenir shop and continued on our journey towards Geiranger

The_J and Cutlass like this.
  12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 12 - Arrival in Geiranger

After a 20 minute break at Trollstigen the bus continued on to Geiranger.

Two hours later we found ourselves at a lookout point dubbed Eagle's Nest, from where it was possible to see Geiranger for the first time. The bus driver stopped here for a couple minutes so we could have a proper look.

In the other direction you could also see the Seven Sisters waterfall.

At noon we were in Geiranger.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 12 - Geiranger

I had to wait until 3pm to check into my hotel, so after the rain stopped I took a stroll around town.

For lunch I had some Biffsnadder, which is a dish consisting of strips of beef, onions, mushrooms, potatoes (or fries), veggies, and sauce. I really liked this dish and ended up having it many times on my trip. The wikipedia entry on it is unfortunately only available in Norwegian, but you can see a photo. Anyway, here's another troll

I checked into what was supposed to be the place where I rest after a strenuous 3 day long hike through the mountains. Booking way in advance I was able to get a great deal on a comfortable room with an amazing location and view.

My 3 day long hike through the mountains was supposed to have included a $100+ USD taxi ride to the trailhead. This convinced me that I should spend the already budgeted money on something else. I went to a nice restaurant and had a local "burned" salmon and pan fried mackerel for dinner, then brown cheese ice cream for dessert, which opened my eyes to the wonderful world of Brunost. The dinner felt like a celebration of good fortunes on the trip so far, but also a distraction from the disappointment of not being able to complete the hike.

I fell asleep shortly after midnight thinking about the kayaking trip I had booked for the next day.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Snerk, The_J, Cutlass and 1 other person like this.
  14. Valka D'Ur

Why was the right-hand lane blocked off in the second photo? My first guess is, if it's a steep road, it might be a runaway lane in case of brake failure (they have these in parts of British Columbia in the steeper sections, though they're not part of the highway itself).

That looks very tasty. :)

And it's been over 20 years since I last had Norwegian cheese. It's insanely expensive here, and well out of my budget. I remember the first time my grandmother served it... I figured nope, no way, cheese is supposed to be orange or off-white/ecru, and this stuff tastes and smells funny.

But when I got older I came to like it, and we served it a time or two at SCA feasts when the budget allowed.

15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

That's a good question. My first guess is to say that it's a part of the viewing area, I remember a bit of a small parking area for cars off to the side like that. But the longer I look at it the more I wonder if they're just making upgrades to the road.

I can get the exact authentic brand here in town and it's really expensive too. It's fairly strong cheese though, so it tends to last a while. The last couple times I bought it I would randomly snack on slices, rather than actually put it on bread, so it would last a while.

It's definitely a bit of an acquired taste and not for everyone. People seem to either hate it or love it. I recommended it to two Polish girls I met on my trip and told them how amazing it is. They went out and bought it that very day and then told me how horrible it is and that I can have all of it

16. Valka D'Ur

Okay, that makes sense. It's hard to figure out what that's about, since there's so much that isn't visible in the photo (I do find some odd things to ask about, don't I? ;)).

My grandmother usually served it either with buns or crackers, so we'd make a small sandwich of it.

Mind you, that was about 45 years ago.

warpus likes this.
  17. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Biffsnadder (or beef treat or something), is arguably more Norwegian than Lutefisk and Pinnekjøtt combined. :lol:

warpus likes this.
  18. Leifmk

Leifmk Chieftain

I grew up right around the northern edge of your map there (spent part of my childhood within the map, part just outside of it) so the terrain you travelled through is rather familiar ground to me... nice stuff, good to see you got to experience some variety in terms of weather.

warpus likes this.
  19. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, at first the weather conditions were a bit disappointing, but you are right that I got a good mix of variety in there. Two hikes with the best weather on the whole trip are still coming up, plus many other days with nice weather. I also ended up quite enjoying the unique hiking experiences that the weather created. The very first hike I did, in Jotunheimen Park, made me feel like I'm on a proper adventure, having to deal with all the elements. I tried to embrace that feeling and ended up feeling great about it, even after all the rain and snow. On the Romsdalseggen Ridge hiking through the clouds was so surreal I can't imagine doing that hike any other way now.

That must have been such a neat part of the world to grow up in. I grew up where it's flat though, so these sorts of landscapes really leave an impression on me.

20. Valka D'Ur

You can see the Rockies on a clear day from a particular spot on the East Hill here... if the conditions are right and you know where to look. It's not entirely flat here, since we're close to the foothills of the Rockies.

Even though this is where I was born and grew up, I prefer being in the mountains. I feel so much more relaxed. Some people from the Prairies have a claustrophobic feeling in the mountains, but the only time that ever happened to me was the last time that my dad and I were in 3 Valley Gap. We were coming home from a short trip to BC (when his uncle died), and my dad was never one to just take periodic breaks. So I told him to stop in 3 Valley Gap and I'd treat him to dinner.

Funny coincidences happen... I got talking with the lady in the souvenir shop and she told me that some of her family were staying in Red Deer, at the campground that was just across the river from where we were living at that time.

Anyway, while we were in the restaurant, I suddenly had a shivery feeling that the mountains were going to just fall over. 3 Valley Gap is a fairly narrow spot in the mountains (hotel, tourist stuff, gas station, restaurant, with a pretty little lake there), and there's an avalanche risk. It was a weird feeling... never had that before, any other time we stopped there. And I've never had it since, any other time I was in the mountains.

warpus likes this.