1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Hiking through Norway

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by warpus, May 21, 2018.

1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

2. Leifmk

Leifmk Chieftain

It was pretty good, yes. One thing about living in a place like this is you basically never lose your direction, just look around and you can see where you are in relation to the mountains.

Valka D'Ur, warpus and Cutlass like this.
  3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 13 - Kayaking along the Geirangerfjord

Fortunately enough the rain stopped just before my kayaking day trip was about to begin. I made my way to the nearby kayaking centre and got acquainted with the rest of the group, as well as our guide.

My camera was safely wrapped up and stowed away in a waterproof bag for most of the actual kayaking. I did take it out a couple times, so that I could take these pictures:

According to our guide it is accepted practice to leave a tasteful inscription on this rock face

After an hour and a half of rowing we reached our first milestone.

I just couldn't stop photographing the Seven Sisters waterfall..

A 45 minute hike up to a fjordfarm awaited us. Along the way I took more pictures of the Seven Sisters

shadowplay, Valka D'Ur, The_J and 2 others like this.
  4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I take it the name "Seven Sisters" is because there are seven separate small streams or falls?

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, exactly. Here's what this looks like on a map:

From what I vaguely remember some of these steams were created artificially at some point in the past.. but don't quote me on that, as I could be misremembering.

On the other side of the fjord lies a waterfall named The Suitor. The myth goes that the seven sisters are all unmarried and the suitor tries to court them by flirting from across the fjord. It's not nearly as impressive though, so I'm not sure if I have a photo of it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Valka D'Ur likes this.
  6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 13 - Hike up to Skageflå

Skageflå used to be one of the richer goat farms in the Geiranger area and was inhabited from the middle ages until 1916. It is now a cultural heritage site and a tourist attraction.

The hike up is pretty steep throughout.

Some of you might have already noticed a farm across the fjord, just to the right of the Seven Sisters waterfall.

Finally we were at the top!

The_J, Valka D'Ur and Cutlass like this.
  7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 13 - Skageflå

The view from the farm was well worth the climb.

We took a well deserved break up here and ate lunch. Our guide even had some Brunost brown cheese to share!

The_J and Cutlass like this.
  8. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Pretty. I like a grassy slope or three.

warpus likes this.
  9. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

People will live anyplace they can carve out the means to do so. No matter how forbidding it might seem.

warpus likes this.
  10. Valka D'Ur

:eek:

Not a place for anyone prone to sleepwalking...

warpus likes this.
  11. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 13 - The Geiranger kayaking day trip continues

We got to see the insides of some of the structures, which included a brief tour by our guide.

Afterwards it was time to descend back to our kayaks.. But before heading back to Geiranger, we took one final look at the Seven Sisters waterfall.

We made it back to Geiranger just before 6pm

The_J, Valka D'Ur and Cutlass like this.
  12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 13 - Ferry to Hellesylt

Due to the high cost of accommodations in Geiranger I opted to spend the next couple nights in the nearby Hellesylt instead. Even with the cost of the ferry included the hostel there was a much cheaper option.

The timing of all of this was also vital as the last ferry was due to depart at 6:30pm. It ended up being just about enough time to casually grab my bag from the hotel. There was even enough time for some ice cream

Turns out I do have a picture of The Suitor - the waterfall that faces the Seven Sisters

And speaking of the Seven Sisters, here they are again from an angle you haven't seen before

13. Leifmk

Leifmk Chieftain

Man, the place where I spent my pre-teen and teenage years was one of those where we lived by the ferry schedule, and that black and white boat brings back memories. One twenty-minute ferry ride away from the nearest town (where tons of people worked or went to school, and where all the semi-interesting stuff was); the service ran about every hour from early morning until late (23-ish or 24-ish most days); if you didn't make the last ferry home you'd better have some buddy who'd let you crash on his sofa (or sleep outside, in summer -- tried that a few times).

Cutlass and warpus like this.
  14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

That's an interesting context. Here's me, making sure my ferry bookings make sense so I won't get stuck somewhere... oblivious to the people around me basing their whole lives around the concept

I was a bit concerned that I might miss this one, but the person from geirangerfjord.no who was answering my emails and our guide were both adamant that I would get back "just in time". And so I did. If something happened and we were a half an hour late I would have probably had to try to make some new friends. I doubt I would have been able to rent any cheap rooms anywhere in Geiranger so late, but I guess that would have been my last resort

15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 13 - Arrival in Hellesylt

The ferry ride from Geiranger to Hellesylt is a particularly scenic route, traversing the Geirangerfjord and a part of the Sunnylvsfjord.

On the ferry I made two Polish friends, who were heading to the same hostel as me. It was a short walk outside of town.

Hellesylt is a small village of about 250 people. There isn't really much here.

For dinner I walked to the only restaurant in town and got a large beef, bacon, and onion pizza. My new friends were trying to save money and did not agree to join me for this meal, which was unfortunate for them since the pizza ended up being relatively cheap.

My dorm room ended up being occupied only by myself and a college kid from Taiwan. We exchanged some backpacking stories but for the most part kept to ourselves. I fell asleep early that night, tired after a long day.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Cutlass, Valka D'Ur and The_J like this.
  16. Valka D'Ur

Somehow I overlooked this post before.

This photo reminds me of the "discussions" I'd have sometimes with my dad about mowing. I guess if we lived in a place like this it would have been, "I can barely see out the upstairs window. It's time to mow the roof." :p

warpus likes this.
  17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Our guide asked us how we think they mowed the grass on those roofs. My guess was "goats?". Turns out I was right!

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Geirangerfjord Kayaking video

I threw together a short video highlighting some of the footage I captured on the kayaking day trip. It's not very long, as most of the footage is of me kayaking, which is not very exciting. Dial it up to 1080p if your connection can handle it

Cutlass likes this.
  19. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 14 - Good Morning Hellesylt

At the time I had no idea, but the next day I would climb that mountain on the right hand side in the above photo.

It was truly a beautiful morning.

Valka D'Ur, The_J and Cutlass like this.
  20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 14 - Return to Geiranger

I had to be back in Geiranger by 12:30 for a day trip out to a lookout point.

A look back at my hostel. It's the middle part of that 3 building structure (IIRC)

Here comes my ferry, right on time

I spent my time on the ferry reading the novel Hyperion by Dan Simmons. That's not really relevant, but it was in my notes