1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] Hiking through Norway

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by warpus, May 21, 2018.

1. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

Yes. You're right.

warpus likes this.
  2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The English version seems to have 1 more paragraph than the Norwegian version, so maybe they added in more information for tourists that Norwegians wouldn't need to be told about. Just a guess though. EDIT: I see we have an answer.

I also noticed the 2014 typo and thought it was funny, was wondering who would notice it first.

One note about Norwegian.. As some of you may know, I used to be fluent in German, and still more or less can read most German and understand it. This came in a bit handy when trying to decipher written Norwegian. It was like a second weapon I had to try to understand a sign or menu, it came in handy more frequently than my knowledge of English (which makes sense). Most of the time neither language was of much use, but sometimes just figuring out a handful of words gave you a sense of what's going on. Not in long descriptive texts like the one that was posted, but shorter signs directing you to this or that, or warning you about something. From what I remember the sentence structure and syntax was similar to German, which made everything seem more familiar, even if most of the words were Greek to me.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I was just recently in Finland, and was always happy to see something in Swedish, due to the same reasons ^^.

warpus likes this.
  4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 14 - Back to Hellesylt

At the summit of Dalsnibba you can also find a gift shop and a troll.

On the way down we managed to convince the bus driver to stop by Lake Djupvatnet for a couple minutes so we could jump out and take some pictures.

In Geiranger I had some Biffsnadder for lunch and caught the ferry back to Hellesylt. Before departing I also picked up a map of local hiking routes.

Back in Hellesylt I learned that the one person who I was sharing my dorm room with back at the hostel was gone. He was a good roommate and even offered to share his apple juice, but I was happy to have the room all to myself.

I spent the rest of this Friday reading, walking around Hellesylt a bit, and for dinner I had a kebab pizza while I brainstormed out my action plan for the next day. Below is the only other noteworthy picture of the day.

Valka D'Ur, The_J and Cutlass like this.
  5. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

What does the statute commemorate? The only famous girls with pigtails I can think of right now are Anne of Green Gables and Pippi Longstocking and neither of them were Norwegian.

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I think it's supposed to be an unnamed local girl who isn't anyone specifically. I saw this sort of thing throughout the country - statues of as far as I could tell nobody in particular, just a reminder of a type of person, such as in this case a child looking after family farm animals. I could be wrong but I think in Norwegian culture it's important to not always focus on the individual.

7. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I immediately thought of Heidi - the young girl sent to live with her grandfather in the Swiss Alps. He kept a couple of goats, and Heidi spent every day with her friend Peter, who was the local goatherd.

Dunno about nowadays, but during my childhood, Heidi was a story most girls read at some point.

8. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

We have a lot of common with Switzerland since the nature is deceptively similar. So I wouldn't be surprised the artist was inspired by, among other things, Heidi.

9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Dalsnibba Video

You've seen the pictures, now watch the video!

Snerk and Cutlass like this.
  10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 15 - Steimsnibba

My second weekend in Norway began at 7:30am. I woke up to beautiful blue skies and a promising forecast for the rest of the day!

Having picked up this pamphlet (PDF) in Geiranger the previous day, I got ready for a day hike. My plan was to see how far I could get up Steimsnibba mountain, which is the mountain you will see on the right.

There are several lookout points along the way to the summit and I wasn't quite sure which one I was going to be able to make it to before turning around. First up was Skaret, a lookout point up about 680m. It is marked as point I on the PDF I linked earlier.

The hike up to Skaret was quite intense in that it was steep and the terrain had a lot of mud and vegetation.

Beautiful views of the Sunnylvsfjorden, and I wasn't even at Skaret yet.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Cutlass, The_J, Snerk and 2 others like this.
  11. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Those are some really good shots!

warpus likes this.
  12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Thanks! The beautiful blue skies made it that much easier to capture it all on film. When I woke up that day and saw blue skies I got so happy, I thought it was imperative to get up to higher ground

13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Another brilliant Warpus hiking thread. Taking a lot of catching up, because I just noticed it a while ago.

Just for tradition sake though I am going to pick on the title...shouldn't that be Hiking IN Norway? I mean, THROUGH implies an entry and an exit, as if you started in Sweden and ended up wading into the Atlantic, yes?

warpus likes this.
  14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I thought "Hiking through Norway" would sound more engaging. But I also travelled all throughout the country. "In" would be technically accurate but wouldn't convey the "all over the place" part of the intended meaning so much. Although I can also see how "through" might also imply that you're cutting through some place to get to some other place. Let's say it sounds better in Norwegian

15. Timsup2nothin

Doesn't everything sound better in Norwegian?

How far does that fjord go to reach open water?

16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Let me answer your question in the form of a (German) map.

I put a big red dot where Hellesylt is, which is where the hike up the mountain began. You can also see Geiranger just to the right.

For context, Storfjorden is the 5th longest fjord in Norway. Both the fjord I can see during this hike (Sunnylvsfjorden) and the Geirangerfjord feed into it

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  17. Timsup2nothin

Cripes. So, like fifteen km to the main fjord, then maybe...forty...to open water. No wonder it's so flat. I honestly had no idea.

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I did the same math you did, but wikipedia says Storfjorden is 110km long. For even more context, the longest fjord in Norway is the Sognefjord at 205km long.

19. Timsup2nothin

It looks like some branch goes quite a ways past your red dot. Narrow, going SW? Plus, they might be running a center line measurement, which would follow a lot of curves and such, where we're just eyeballing a series of a few straight lines. They might be calling the 'mouth' of it out at that island too; the one straight west of where it says "Alesund." That would add another fifteen km, at least, and that really isn't 'open water' so it does seem reasonable to count it, upon some thought.

warpus likes this.
  20. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Day 15 - The climb up Steimsnibba continues

I reached the Skaret lookout point just after noon.

It had been a strenuous climb up to Skaret and my fresh water supplies were rather low. Looking up toward the summit I started to wonder whether this is a far as I go.

While eating lunch I was greeted by a Norwegian family out on a hike, two parents and two or three kids. Turns out they own a farm across the fjord and know the area well. I told them about my plans for the day and my hesitation to press on with the hike to the summit given my water situation and energy levels. I also wasn't sure if I had enough time to make it to the top and get back to Hellesylt before it got dark.

I received words of encouragement and both of my water bottles were filled up with cold water. I thanked the friendly strangers profusely for the water and a half an hour later was continuing the hike up to the summit feeling more energetic and more confident.

At 1:30pm or so I could see the summit up ahead.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018