Hill start negative?

zippysguitar

Chieftain
Is there a negative to a hill start compared to a plains start?
Besides the turn to get on the hill.

No food reduction, plus a +1 hammer, better city defense, and better terrain advantage from aggressors. Only thing you lose is the windmill.

Keep in mind a city always by default start with +2 food and +1 production. That includes settling on a desert, tundra, snow, hill, etc. The hill though will grant you an additional +1 hammer, while a river tile (I think) should give +1 gold, strategic resources also give +1 hammer, while most luxury resources will give +1 gold and considered automatically improved provided you have the tech researched.

Unless you're playing as Austria, then you can still build your UB (replaces windmill).

My favorite start now is hill on river+adjacent hill+adjacent salt resource...
The last game I played, I set my capital to production from the start (7 hammers). My first build was worker which completed in 10 turns. The same turn I completed mining so was able to improve the salt right away. So for 14 turns or so my capital didn't grow. Bad right?? Well as soon as I improved the salt resource the second citizen started working on that tile (+3 food +2 production), so in no time my capital grew to 2 pop!! My production was quite high at 2!!

I then sold that lux right away which put me very close to buying my first settler. I only got 170 gold but no big deal. My warrior was a few tiles away and all the sudden a barb shows up. The barb pillages my improvement since it wasn't close enough to protect the salt. Hmm... so once my warrior gets back I'm able to improve the salt again and sell it a few turns after turn 20 giving me enough gold to buy my 1st settler!!

I love salt as a resource. It can turn really food poor areas into a great area of growth.
Personally I find that losing the windmill is no big deal. Just remember o only settle on hills if there is more production in the area, otherwise the city wont be able to produce anything

Top Bottom