1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Hints of 'time before Big Bang'

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Knight-Dragon, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7440217.stm

2. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Wow, that's quite incredible.

3. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Ugh, I hate BBC science articles, it says there are hints in CMBR flucuations, but doesn't say what those hints are. It's all results with almost no explination how they arrived to them.

4. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

So if this true, this means that our Universe was born inside of another Universe.. and that one was likely to have been born in yet another Universe.

Does this repeat infinitely, or was there an unmoved mover? ;)

5. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

So there is a possibility of life from before our universe, moving from the old to the new. This could be awesome if those pesky aliens would show up.

6. Veritass

Veritass Chieftain

That will be some interesting math.
    How do you check your figures on that one?

7. Olleus

Olleus Chieftain

I'm confused about "time before the big bang". Wasn't the big bang the start of the three spacial dimensions and the time dimension? If so then time before that makes on sence. Its like saying whats -1m away from a point (without specifying a direction).

And yes Perfection, I agree that the BBC science articles are of quite a low standard. I find that The Economist write the best ones.

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

There could be other dimensions of time, outside of the one that was created during the big bang. (if it was indeed created then)

9. Olleus

Olleus Chieftain

But then it doesn't make sence to say that it is "before" as when we talk about time we always refer to our dimension of time, as its the only we that we experience. It makes no more sence than to say that an object which is to the left of another is behind or infront of it - it isn't - its next to it.

10. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I think they mean "before" in the causal sense; causes always precede effects, so whatever caused the big bang must have come "before" the big bang. We can think of it as defining (ordinal) time in terms of cause and effect. In this way, we don't need to refer to any specific notion of time at all.

11. TheBladeRoden

TheBladeRoden Deity

If you have enough perspectives, an object can be both next to, in front of, and behind another object simultaneously.

12. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Yeah. I think a better analogy would be, if you had a small box inside a large box, would the small box be infront or behind the large box.

13. Perfection

So how would we determine which universe caused the existance of another?

In other words, what's causality without time (and entropy)?

14. Souron

Souron The Dark Lord

"a universe could form inside this room and we’d never know" suggests that all of a universe is confined to a finite region of space in it's parent universe. Thus the parent universe can be defined as the one containing the other.

Though the whole jargon of "multiple universes" seems self contradicting to me.

15. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

I went to an informal lecture about a theory similar to this one last year, I remember the lecturer beleved that any a universe will spawn a new universe once t -> oo, and this new universe will have lower entropy than the last one. I also remember that it sounded like crock, but that might just be because he only had an hour and a half to present his theory.

16. Perfection

I wonder if any of this is testible stuff, or just that this guy figured out some math that would allow it.

17. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

And let me guess, all those universes are spawned within black holes, and universes with more stable black holes in them are selected for using a process similar to natural selection?

Yeah, I heard that on a street corner once.

19. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

No, although I've heard stuff like that too. The guy that proposed this is pretty famous (Roger Penrose), though I've heard nothing about it since. It was probably just wrong.

20. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I read a science fiction story about some people who created a miniature invisible universe in their science lab. It came as a great shock to them to realize they themselves were probably an invisible universe in somebody else's lab.

I reject the notion that "it's elephants all the way down." Saying we came from another universe only brings the question of The Beginning to one more step -- where did this other universe come from?

I have a button that says this, but it adds some material:

Time is nature's way of keeping
    everything from happening at once.
    It doesn't seem to be working lately.​