1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hipfot's veyDer's User Events

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Mod Components' started by Hipfot, May 3, 2011.

1. Hipfot

Hipfot Chieftain

Hey all,

Some time ago, veyDer has posted his user-editable template for inserting random events into the game ( http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=411958 ). I was surprised to find almost nothing was done with it yet, so I made some events myself. Attached is the file, free for anyone to use in any way. Just have fun with it.

Update 03-05-'11: "Version 3", couple of new events, bug fixes.

Spoiler :

Random Events:

Added in version 3
    Fixed some bugs
    Changed "Minerals" and "Fertile Soil"

Local Artist - $ 150: City gets 3 extra plots
    - $ 300: City gets Cultural Building
    - $ 0: City gets 1 extra plot
    Pioneers - Small city gets 1 extra plot
    Flash Flood - All river-buildings destroyed in a city
    Hurricane - Windmill/Solar Plant/Broadcast Tower destroyed by weather
    Nuclear Meltdown - Nuclear Plant explodes (very rare event)
    Fertile Soil - Now gives a farm Wheat
    New Minerals - Mine gets random minable Resource
    New Plant - Unimproved plot gets random Plantation Resource

Added in version 2
    Meteor - Nuke damage near a city (rare event)
    Nomads - Get a free Worker
    Golden Age - Starts a Golden Age
    Revolt - City becomes "occupied", needs courthouse against unhappiness.
    Tidal Wave - All "Coastal" buildings in the city are destroyed.
    Entrepeneur - Free Market/Bank/Stock Exchange in a city.
    Monarchy - Benefit for Monarchy civ: Extra pop in capital.
    Meritocracy - Benefit for Meritocracy civ: Extra Gold for each non-puppet civ.
    Discipline - Benefit for Discipline civ: Second Attack promotion for a unit.

Added in version 1
    Wandering Wiseman - Pay a lot of Gold: Great scientist.
    - Pay some Gold: Random effect.
    - Pay nothing: Nothing happens.
    Skilled Engineer - Increases current production progress in all cities, increased if you're willing to spend gold.
    New Spring - New oasis in desert tile
    Parrots - Extra Gold in jungle tile
    Rare Herbs - Extra Food and Gold in marsh tile
    Resort - Extra gold in atol tile
    Tradecenter - Tradecenter becomes Customs House
    Renown - Extra Culture in Special-Improvement tile (Academy, Customs House etc...)
    Tornado - Improved tile becomes pillaged.
    Market Crash - Lose gold
    Investments - Gain gold
    Plague - City population decreased
    Population Boom - Additional Population in a city
    Diseased Unit - Unit damaged
    Ancient Scrolls - Free Policy
    Assimilate City - Puppeted city becomes annexed, without the "Occupied" happiness penalty.
    Training - Unit gains extra XP

All events work. The bugs/problems I know of:
    * Civ-specific buidlings are not being checked. There might be rare occasions in which, say, China gets a Market in a city which has a Paper Mill. I'll update it someday to deal with all Civ-specific buildings, but not today.
    * Effects can stack (yeah, academies can be extra, extra, extra famous), but it's mostly a flavor issue, nothing game-breaking. Also, terrain/improvement-specific effects stay after changing the tile's terrain/improvements.
    * They only work for the human player, AI's will have none of them.

If anyone has any (doable) ideas for additional events, don't hesitate to post them, I'll see what I can do. Maybe post some further 'versions' of my user events.

Attached Files:

2. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Will give it a go. Really looking forward to it. I can also see that you adopted some of my events/ideas :)

\Skodkim

3. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Hi

When I hit the nomad event I got the following bug (see attached).

\Skodkim

4. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Seems to look good, I'll try it out

5. Hipfot

Hipfot Chieftain

Odd.. can't say I've seen it happen yet. But thanks for pointing it out, I'll keep an eye on it.

6. ianofkishaba

ianofkishaba Chieftain

I received the same event as skodkim, but with a different bug. When I click "Ok" it spawns a unit, but the text bubble doesn't go away. Each time you click the "Ok" button, a new worker spawns with the bubble never disappearing, forcing you to exit the game.

7. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Exactly my problem.

\Skodkim

8. Gorhaax

Gorhaax Warlord

I just started using this mod and i'm having the same problem as ianofkishaba and skodkim. That Nomad message to spawn a new wrker doesn't leave the screen.

9. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Hi

Since everything has been quiet from Hipfot for months now I hope he wont mind If I upload an updated version of the random events mod.

Old events are tweaked a little bit, a few bugs have been fixed (the nomad bug described in the thread) and added some events too.

I tested it and found it bug free, but there might be some needed tweaks (for one I'd like the events to apply to the AI). That being said I'm only a novice with lua so don't expect any "support" on it.

I'm hoping people will have new additions, tweaks, ... to the mod so that we can keep the idea of random events in Civ V alive.

\Skodkim

10. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

@Skodkim Playing with this mod in my current game. Very well done.

Would love to see someone with a bit of experience pick this up and put it into one of the better mods out there.

Currently the effects of the event are only shown when the user hovers over the OK button in the popup window. Would love to see the effects of the event spelled out in the window.

Also would love to see a notification bubble to take you to the hex where the event takes place.

Lastly would love to see events that can be influenced by gold. If you have enough gold you can influence the event to do this rather than that...

11. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

No experience, but with Skodims or Hipfot's permission I would like to include it in the newest incarnation of Building Made Fun

12. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

I've looked into this a few times, and it interests me. However, I am hesitant to really dig my hands in too deep until I can guarantee I could build a system in which the AI has equal chance for events and will know what options to choose.

13. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Sure - just give credit and you're welcome :)

\Skodkim

14. skodkim

skodkim Deity

I agree - that would be really great but unfortunately beyond my abilities.

Not a problem that makes me not want to use the random events though - The AI already gets other advantages that the player doesn't.

\Skodkim

15. Dunkah

Dunkah Emperor

Putting in another plea for somone to grab this mod and run...

It is a great mod... Perhaps rather than trying to figure out a way for the AI to use the mod just set up a random plus / minus gold chance, or plus minus building chance etc.

But like Skodkim mentioned... The AI all ready gets bonuses, plus some of the events are negative so perhaps it could be said that they could even out bonuses and nerfs... not really giving the player a decided advantage or disadvantage.

Potential Bug: I had a source of iron added to a plot, game didn't recognize it, so I could not build extra iron units or trade. I do believe the extra :hammers: on the tile were added.

16. makrisgialos

makrisgialos GREEK REBEL

Dea Friend and dear all,

Is it possible for anybody to give me some installation instructions on this please or a link with instructions?

Please forgive my unaknowledge.

17. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Unzip folder to your mods folder, something like (on Win7): c:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS

Enable in the ingame mod browser.

Its the same as any other mod.

Dunkah: Think the bug you mentioned is for real. When you place a resource on an already improved tile the game doesn't recognize the new resource while it works the other way around. To "fix" this I now remove the improvement, place the new resource and place the improvement again in that order.

Should be fixed in the version I've attached. I hope and think it should work for anyone. The reason I'm a little bit unsure of this is that in my newest versions I refer to to new improvements IMPROVEMENT_FP_TRADING_POST and IMPROVEMENT_IRRIGATION which are two new improvements I've made and included in another little personal mod of mine. Mu guess is that this won't have any effect on this mod even if these improvements are not defined in your games as the events would never trigger.

Feel free to give it a go.

\Skodkim

\Skodkim

18. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

Just so you know, I'm using a variant of veyDer's original UserEvents in my own Age of Mythology mod. I've almost got it to where the AI will use the same events and can weight its choices by Flavors (although the posted version of my mod doesn't have this included yet). I've currently got my own set of 19 random events whose probabilities of occurring vary with your current "alignment". So once I'm sure it all works, I'll post what I did to get the AI to pick correctly, in the hopes that you all can improve your own versions in similar ways.

19. skodkim

skodkim Deity

Spatzimaus, that sounds very exiting. Can't wait to see what you did. Perhaps you could post your new files here as well as an explanation of what you did - some times it helps a lot to see other peoples "syntax" - thats how I learned how to mess around with the original mod.

\Skodkim

20. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

That's basically what I'll do, once it's ready. It won't all directly translate; for instance, my mod uses an Alignment system where your choices in previous events (and the gods you follow) weight the chance of certain events happening to you in later eras, so the percentage chance isn't a fixed value like it is in veyDer's original version. I'm putting in lots of little things like that. But once it's done, I'll try to help the rest of you figure out how to at least get the AI part working for your own versions.