1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hippus+ Brainstorming

Discussion in 'Wildmana Modmod' started by [to_xp]Gekko, Feb 25, 2010.

1. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

am I the only guy who thinks the Hippus are now alone feeling incredibly vanilla?

they get the Horselord civtrait, and mounted mercs. if they can build the guild of the nine first. if you are playing with that gameoption on.

a bit boring for a FFH civ, right?

does anyone have ideas to make them more interesting? I'm thinking building on the "masters of mercenaries" theme would be great, Hippus should be played with an emphasis on Gold instead of Science, making them feel truly unique.

what about allowing them to buy mercenaries, that vary depending on which civs you are in contact with, with the availability and gold cost depending on your relations/open borders/trade routes with them? ( that way you could get UUs, or units with special abilities like ljolsafar archers and svartalfar recon... )

perhaps they would also be able to sell their units to other civs in exchange for gold?

2. wapamingo

wapamingo Prince

I do agree, Hippus are a bland civ. I almost never pick them to play as because there is really nothing unique to them.

I really like the idea of Hippus being able to sell their units for gold, fits their mercenery backgrounds really well. Can this be coded?

What about giving them access to more varied mounted units, make everything a variation on the horse.

Something along the lines of: Mounted Swordsmen, or Mounted Mages? everything mounted and very mobile.

Remove their ability to build siege weapons, or give them a weak but mobile siege weapon. The point behind Hippus is speed and mobility.

3. readercolin

readercolin King

How about allow them to hire mercs whenever they want, and the mercs they hire vary according to the techs they have. Ex.

Start of game, they can hire horse scouts for 60 gold (strength 2 unit, 3 movement, mounted).
    Upon researching horseback riding, they can hire mercenary horsemen for 120 gold (strength 4 unit, no bonus vs archery, but can use metal)
    Upon researching stirrups, can hire their current mounted merc for 180 gold
    Upon researching Armored Cav, can hire Cataphracs, a strength 8 unit that can use metal for 240 gold.

I think adding that would be more than enough to make them different.

-Colin

4. Brokenbone

Brokenbone Prince

Only on point of "selling" units, I've seen it accomplished through a diplomacy screen when playing Rise of Mankind, w/ A New Dawn. Only some units are eligible for trade though, like workers and siege engines. Could always change that so anything the Hippus build is eligible for trade. I do not know what value the AI places on this, I only really used this function to demand tribute or to sign a peace treaty. It may be that peace time trading, you could get offered chump change or have AI civs not value the exchange at all, not even giving 1 gold for a shiny new catapult. Often AI civs are near bankrupt anyhow so they might not be able to afford anything.

I suppose a kludgey solution is like the Undercouncil slave market. Sell a unit (basically, cast a spell on self), get gold for it. Really, it simply removes the unit from play as opposed to adding it to someone else's army, as again, all those someone elses probably do not have spare gold.

Could do it through events too, though they might have to be annoyingly frequent. Stuff like "A group of horsemen offers themselves up to serve your empire. Hire them?" Say yes and you gain 3 horsemen and the Hippus get paid 300 gold, say no and either nothing happens, or the Hippus gain 1 horseman with the "Down on His Luck" promo, costing 1 gpt until he wins a battle. Kidding about the promo, its just an idea that may keep people thinking they might rather grab units off the market rather than have them join the regular forces of the Hippus.

5. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

this could be a perfect fit for the hippus, random events unique to them that happen more frequently if you have more gold, and UBs that raise that chance and decrease costs. mercenaries just asking to be hired :D

6. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Emperor

Yea the Hippus have always been a bit backwards when you look at the lore. In the game they always get discounts to hire or chances to hire mercs, but they never get a benefit of being a merc civ themselves. Granted the discounts are valid when you consider Rhoanna's reforms that brought a more centralized leadership, but on the edges of the empire Hippus mercs were still condoned and encouraged by Tasunke and the other generals. From what I understand of Rhoanna's reforms she is much like Mahala in that as civilization advances if they dont advance with it they will be swallowed up by it. Rhoanna still carries wind in her and will embrace the tribes that are still sell swords and defend them as needed for a cut of the profits and as long as they dont sell their swords to a rivals (which of course carries a penalty of death).

7. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

a leader with the Barbarian trait for them would be fun :D

8. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Emperor

One with Orc blood? Hehe

9. Imuratep

Imuratep Cultist of the Old Ones

Who can sell his units to the barbarians... Ultimate barbarian horsearcher stacks FTW...

10. graywarden

graywarden King

11. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

12. Imuratep

How about this one. A bit flavorcentered, but perhaps it can be simplified through discussion.
    Everytime they have research a T2 unit tech of a weapon type i.e. archery, bronze working, knowledge of the ether, horseback riding, Hunting Hippus can found a mercenary guild in their cities that can be spread to any city (you don't control? You can't offer yourself to yourself right?). For each city that has the mercenary guild you get +0,5 :gold:, +0,1 XP training rate and +0,5 XP maximum for the respective unit type in the city with the headquarter, but your military production is reduced by a certain percentage (As less people are available as the mercenaries are travelling around elsewhere).
    With a higher tech from the weapon type branch you can upgrade the building increasing the boni it grants to you, but also improving the units your opponents get. Thus while with Horseback riding you get +0,5 gold +0,1XP passive xp gain and +0,5 XP cap per city you get +1 gold +0,2 passive XP gain +1XP cap
    Someone (except yourself) that has the guild in their city can decide to buy units of the respective type (similar to hire mounted mercenary or hire mercenary spell or goblin clan spells). He gets to choose those units that are enabled by the headquarter --> Headquarter level 1 --> Horsemen, Headquarter level 2 --> Horseback archer etc. Mercenaries start with XP/2 of your XP cap.
    If you are in war with a civ all spreads of mercenaries in your enemy's cities are removed and every unit with the Hippus mercenary promo that is on the side of your enemy has a chance to switch sides (being teleported to your capital)

13. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

just played beneath the heel, the mercenaries asking to be hired would be perfect for Hippus+ :D

14. Forral

Forral Chieftain

I think it feels a bit strange to make a civilization of mercenaries actually have the special ability to hire mercenaries- when in fact they are supposed to be the mercenaries themselves.

It would probably be better to attempt to reflect their sellsword nature in gameplay somehow, such as allowing them to join into ongoing wars between factions with very few, if any, diplomatic penalties and actually making other leaders pay them to fight on their side.

In addition, if the Hippus had joined into a war between other factions, supporting one side it would probably be interesting if they were paid for the units they killed, with substantial bounties paid for capturing cities, and that those cities they took over while flying the banner of the other faction was handed over to their employer.

In gameplay this means that the Hippus would be sticking their grubby little fingers into every little war imaginable and earn gold and experience as they undermine the war-effort of their employer's enemy, all whilst suffering very little diplomatic penalties and not being subject to whatever applicable sansaction there might be from other factions.

I believe that would be a much more interesting and flavourful approach than simply mercenaries hiring mercenaries. Everyone hires mercenaries- whereas mercenaries are unique because they sell themselves.

15. Imuratep

Is it possible to have a HN like promo that makes the unit look like being part of a different civ? I.e. if you offer your services to the Sheaim they have the Sheaim flag and can attack units that are in war with the Sheaim.

16. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Imuratep's idea would be awesome, but I imagine ti would be very difficult to code. Maybe we should pester xienwolf to see if he can do it.

Have you tried my latest release of my modmod yet? It includes a reworking of mercenaries. Instead of being a unitclass, Mercenary is a promotion. The Guild of the Nine's hire Mercenary spell gives a promotion (which Magnadine can get without it) that allows the hiring of mercenary units of several unitclasses. You may hire these in any city of a civ with whom you have open borders, and the units you hire will be of the city's original civ's race and UUs. That civ gets a cut of the cost of hiring the mercenary. That cut is normally 10%, but is 50% if the civ was Hippus. Mercenaries hired by the Hippus do not get the Mercenary promotion. That is a good thing, as the promotion gives a 1% chance of turning barbarian and makes each battle cost you 5 gold.

17. Imuratep

Sounds interesting. Definitely have to try your new version.

18. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

bump for tesb and his further flavoured civs... come on mate flavour up a civ that REALLY needs it :p ;)

19. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Why exactly do they need it?

They play well, they are not underpowered, and IMO were intended to be vanilla. The most I'd do is a mounted mage.

20. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

well you could say the same about Doviello, Bannor, Grigori etc. then, I mean every race was intended to be the way it is in FFH ;) that doesn't mean that they wouldn't benefit from some added flavour...