Hiroshina and Nagasaki -- Speak Out

Slight rebuttal accepted.

The Luftwaffe bomber force was designed as an army support
fleet and not a strictly strategic force.

But different tactics came into play during WW2.

I guess the final word from me on conventional level bombing
is that all the major air forces and nations have black marks on
thier reputations, regardless of whatever intentions the
commanders had...

Glad we can discuss rationally.

Unlike some...Still waiting for that explanation Dinodoc.

Originally posted by Maj
Do any of you honestly believe you assist the conveyance of your thoughts and beliefs with insults and harsh words? Come on guys, rather than rationally debating war you're only showing exactly how many of them start.

The great thing about debating on online forums is that you have the chance to put your emotions in check before responding to comments you may find controvertial and contradictory to your values and beliefs. Ignorance can be a virtue when aimed towards (or away from, I guess:)) slander. You're all capable of far better.

- Maj

Thanks for the excellent post. That's the most sensible thing I've read in a while.

Your post is why I've decided not to even waste my time replying to anymore of aoa's dribble after this post and even in this post I only wish to clear a couple things up but I will keep it peaceful where I can. I let emotions get the better of me and became exactly what aoa is at times. . .a poor debater in that I was no longer able to accept other opinions or debate peacefully and without harsh words and insults.

I also love how you say you "used to argue", yet we see you still posting here.
Taken out of context I see. I "used to argue with rewolf via pm" about these things but in case you haven't noticed, he's not around here much lately so I don't do that anymore. I'm still here and posting but I'm not arguing with him anymore over PM. Clear now?

Someone seems to think that's a sign of a poor debater, yet here we see you doing just that.
You mean the way you did about me, repeatedly?
I hope you understand what a hypocrit is, because that's the way you post, as a hypocrit.
The only thing you've said I agree with. For a short while I fell to your level and am guilty of what you say. Our petty bickering had reduced me to debating in your style and I'm done with it. I've decided to the better man and back out on this issue. Neither of us will ever agree with the other and I'm not wasting my time anymore in this style after this post is done.

See but here's my problem with you - EVERY opposing argument is "stupid" or "nonsense" instead of just "I see you your point but I disagree" as the classy posters here manage to do.
Exactly my next point to aoa . By the way, I don't find you a poor debator all the time but you regularly fall into the problem redwolf pointed out. That's when you are as terrible a debator as I have been in my last post or two.

I still stand by EVERYTHING I have said. I was perhaps too emtional at times lately but I still believe in every word.

This is my final message in this thread. Sorry to everyone that this message was off topic but I feel everyone should be able to see that I have decided to end this. I pray that nobody is able to drag me to such depths again. I hope you avoid them in the future as well but I can only speak for myself. Good luck

Originally posted by CurtSibling
Slight rebuttal accepted.

The Luftwaffe bomber force was designed as an army support
fleet and not a strictly strategic force.

But different tactics came into play during WW2.

I guess the final word from me on conventional level bombing
is that all the major air forces and nations have black marks on
thier reputations, regardless of whatever intentions the
commanders had...

Glad we can discuss rationally.

Unlike some...Still waiting for that explanation Dinodoc.

I cannot argue at all with your final word.

For all those interested in a perspective on WWII bombing check out Stephen Ambrose's book Wild Blue (Or something close to that). I listened too it on audio book, which meant that it was abridged, but basically it tells the story of George McGovren who flew with the 15th airforce out of Italy. It is a good personal account of what being a bomber pilot was all about.

As far as discussing rationally, I'm glad too. For crying out loud, Rmsharpe started a very good thread here. At the very least we need to respect that and keep things civil.:)

Thanks knowltok2,
At least there are some people left on these
threads who have the Civ spirit.

I'll keep an eye open for that Ambrose book.

Dinodoc
I can only assume you blurted out your
venomous post in a fit of illness or something.

Your lack of reply speaks volumes to me...

But I'll overlook your transgression.

I just started doing the page-by-page plow (as opposed to the skim) of "Downfall" last night, and I must correct myself slightly. The earlier poster (was it Knowltok? Knowltok2? Knowltok667?) was, according to the compelling evidence offered in "Downfall," correct in arguing that the firebombings of The really were on the grey area, considering that the USAAF guys really did understand that civilian casualties would be a consequence, but the targeting was at least initially (I haven't got to summer 1945 yet) designed to take out industrial capacity in mixed-use residential/industrial areas.

Just thought it wouldn't hurt in this thread to have someone say "you told me so" when "you told me so" was deserved.

PS Alcibiaties, I'm supposedly on your side in this debate but you're not convincing me... maybe try a little more sugar and a little less piss?

I just started doing the page-by-page plow (as opposed to the skim) of "Downfall" last night, and I must correct myself slightly. The earlier poster (was it Knowltok? Knowltok2? Knowltok667?) was, according to the compelling evidence offered in "Downfall," correct in arguing that the firebombings of Tokyo and other large cities were at least in theory "strategic" rather than "terror" raids.

They really were on the grey area, considering that the USAAF guys really did understand that civilian casualties would be a consequence, but the targeting was at least initially (I haven't got to summer 1945 yet) designed to take out industrial capacity in mixed-use residential/industrial areas.

Just thought it wouldn't hurt in this thread to have someone say "you told me so" when "you told me so" was deserved.

PS Alcibiaties, I'm supposedly on your side in this debate but you're not convincing me... maybe try a little more sugar and a little less piss?

Originally posted by Richard III

Thank you. :)

Originally posted by Scrimshaw

Your post is why I've decided not to even waste my time replying to anymore of aoa's dribble after this post and even in this post I only wish to clear a couple things up but I will keep it peaceful where I can. I let emotions get the better of me and became exactly what aoa is at times. . .a poor debater in that I was no longer able to accept other opinions or debate peacefully and without harsh words and insults.
No, what you are is a pompous know-it-all jackass, and if you think you can buffalo me, think again.

Taken out of context I see. I "used to argue with rewolf via pm" about these things but in case you haven't noticed, he's not around here much lately so I don't do that anymore. I'm still here and posting but I'm not arguing with him anymore over PM. Clear now?
Next time, try stating your opinion without telling us whom you debate with in private.
Is that clear to you? :rolleyes:

The only thing you've said I agree with. For a short while I fell to your level and am guilty of what you say. Our petty bickering had reduced me to debating in your style and I'm done with it. I've decided to the better man and back out on this issue. Neither of us will ever agree with the other and I'm not wasting my time anymore in this style after this post is done.
Next time try posting instaed of being a smartass.
Your little friend RW is the one who started this, not I.
I don't back away from challenges, your free to do as you like.
BTW, your fooling nobody with this holier then thou attitude. :rolleyes:

Exactly my next point to aoa . By the way, I don't find you a poor debator all the time but you regularly fall into the problem redwolf pointed out. That's when you are as terrible a debator as I have been in my last post or two.
What I am "terrible" at is putting up with drival and things I know are false.
I keep it civil if you do, but I have zero prolem with posting as you do.
In fact, I'm quite good at it, and as you can see, I don't let my site status interfere with what I say.
I know what I'm talking about, or I don't comment.
I wish we could say the same for you.

I still stand by EVERYTHING I have said. I was perhaps too emtional at times lately but I still believe in every word.
If you want to believe that, it's your buisiness.
But don't try to push it on me, I'm not having it.

This is my final message in this thread. Sorry to everyone that this message was off topic but I feel everyone should be able to see that I have decided to end this. I pray that nobody is able to drag me to such depths again. I hope you avoid them in the future as well but I can only speak for myself. Good luck
Seems I heard a similar message from RW also.
Same as I told him, your free to post your opinions, but if I see something I know is wrong, I'm going to say so.

Originally posted by Richard III
I just started doing the page-by-page plow (as opposed to the skim) of "Downfall" last night, and I must correct myself slightly. The earlier poster (was it Knowltok? Knowltok2? Knowltok667?) was, according to the compelling evidence offered in "Downfall," correct in arguing that the firebombings of The really were on the grey area, considering that the USAAF guys really did understand that civilian casualties would be a consequence, but the targeting was at least initially (I haven't got to summer 1945 yet) designed to take out industrial capacity in mixed-use residential/industrial areas.
What are you curious about, the firebombing raids?
When the USAAF started Strategic bombing of Japan, first from bases in China and then the Marianas, strike photos showed that the high winds over Japan (a unique wheather condition found only here) were causing the bombs to miss badly.
This, coupled with an assessment of Japan's industrial capability, which stated that much of it was decentralized, IE farmed out to little factories and such, showed that daylight precision bombing ala Europe wouldn't work in Japan.
Doolittle and LeMay, the senior air officers decided that a new approach was needed, and hit upon low level aera firebombing.
The benifit was first, at low level, more payload could be carried (the B-29s where stripped of almost all defensive guns to lighten them, as Japan had no effective night fighters), second, aera firebombing would hit all the "cottage industries" producing war material, and like Britain's RAF, they realized that destroying worker's homes would disrupt production more effectively then trying to hit the big industrial combines.

There were moral arguments about these tactics, but they realized, as I was saying about the A-bombs, that the only way to defeat Japan by airpower would be to get their hands dirty, so this plan was enacted.

In the last 6 months of the war, something like 85% of Japan's cities were gutted by firebombs, and Japan couldn't stop it.

What isn't generally known, however, was the campaign was on it's last legs, 20th AF crews and planes were worn out, amunition stocks were exausted, and replacement parts in extremly short supply.
LeMay seny Hap Arnold (comander USAAF) a report that said he could not sustain air operations passed August 20th, 1945.
LeMay also knew that after "Fatman" and "Litle Boy" there wouldn't be another A-bomb ready for dropping untill december at the earlist.

All of this means that Japan would get a lull, a window of several months to recover untill the strategic campaign could continue.
This was yet another compelling reason for the A-bomb strikes to be carried out, it was a use it or lose it situation.

Some excellent books on this campaign:
Winged Victory by Geoffrey Perret
Point of no return by WH Morrison
Bombers over Japan by Keith Wheeler
B-29 Superfortress at war by David Anderton
Saga of the Superfortress: The Story of the B-29 and the 20th Air Force by Steve Birdsall
Total war: Causes and courses of the second world war by Peter Calvocoressi
The B-29 Campaign against Japan: The Japanese dimention by Alvin Coox (Extremly hard to find)
The B-29, the A-bomb, and the Japanese Surrender by Herman Wolk.

If you like, I can dig up more books on Japan's last days.

This was never a debate, simply because the other side isn't plausible.
That is what I have been saying all along.
I see many misinterpretations have survived more then 50+ years, and still find voice in idealists.
They must learn to place themselves in the postion of the combatants before passing judgements about what is sick and what isn't.
If any leader made a decision that spared the lives of his enemy but cost the lives of his own forces would be a criminal, not a humanatarian.(sp?)

Next time, try stating your opinion without telling us whom you debate with in private.
Is that clear to you?

Apparently this wasn't clear to you. You totally missed the point.

My point was that I've been here for a long time but mostly argued in private so I do know yours and redwolf background as you tried to tell me I don't. Now is it clear?

I know I said I was done here but I had to clear up this one last thing. I won't even dignify the rest of your post with more than a glance.

Well,
I would say Alcibiaties has more or less wrapped things up.
What else is there to say on strategic air war over japan?

To gain the final victory the Allies had to use tactics that
were not to everyone's taste.
But an Axis victory would not have been to everyone's taste either...

I think what some people miss when in the comfort of thier
comfy homes is that when nations throw down the gauntlet,
as they did in world war two, there is no backing out...

People die,
cities get flamed,
soldiers make the sacrafice...
That, my friends, Is the tragedy of war.
It's what much of our human history is about.

The axis knew the score when they made their moves in
1939 and 1941, they were going past the point of return,
Total war is victory or ruin.
It's that simple.

Not every German soldier or Japanese marine was
a blood-thirsty maniac, and not every Allied conscript was
an angel either, but that's because we are a varied species,
As humans we are capable of great acts of good or blackest cruelty.
It's just lucky we know when to stop, and say enough is enough...

Hence, why the atom bomb was used. It sickens me, but I know
it had to be done to prevent a terrible amount of deaths...

Merely my humble thoughts...

What the USA did is not acceptable, especially since they knew what'll happen to the people afterwards. Besides, over a quarter of the people killed in Hiroshima were Koreans or other Asians that they brought over as laborers and only 20,000 or so were actually military. It's like they're killing some of the people they're trying to save for the greater good. I'm Korean and I think it's plain jacked up even though my family was screwed over by the Japanese (and Chinese and who knows who else...) in the past. Regardless, whats done is done all countries have commited attrocities, so the only thing that we can do now is prevent these things from happening in the future.

Originally posted by wongthefob888
What the USA did is not acceptable, especially since they knew what'll happen to the people afterwards. Besides, over a quarter of the people killed in Hiroshima were Koreans or other Asians that they brought over as laborers and only 20,000 or so were actually military. It's like they're killing some of the people they're trying to save for the greater good. I'm Korean and I think it's plain jacked up even though my family was screwed over by the Japanese (and Chinese and who knows who else...) in the past. Regardless, whats done is done all countries have commited attrocities, so the only thing that we can do now is prevent these things from happening in the future.

Well said.
I am glad we are getting views from a different perspective,

How many of you knew this shocking info?

In war there are many unpleasant facts that are silently swept
under the carpet. Wongthefob888 has just told you all one...

I too knew of the Korean laborers (slaves) that the Japanese were using. Though I don't know it, I would suspect that they were present in most of the major cities, and probably suffered quite horribly under the conventional bombings as well.

I question that the US did know what the aftermath of a nuclear explosion would be. Perhaps someone can enlighten us with info on what was known about the effects of radiation at that time, and about how much the US knew about how much the bomb would produce.

I would also like to make the assertion that the US was not engaged in an effort to save anyone in fighting the Japanese. That was the case in Europe, and maybe should have been the case with Japan, but the Pacific war was not about liberating groups of people. It was primarily about defeating Japan.

As I said, you can argue that liberation should have been the goal, but I don't think it was, and judging the decision on that basis is wrong IMO.

All that said, I completely respect your opinion that it was a bad decision. We disagree, but I can see your point.

Originally posted by knowltok2

I question that the US did know what the aftermath of a nuclear explosion would be. Perhaps someone can enlighten us with info on what was known about the effects of radiation at that time, and about how much the US knew about how much the bomb would produce.

I agree with you that the US's knowledge of the bombs full effects is questionable. They knew little enough of the aftermath of atomic weapons that MacArthur's plan was to use fatman and littleboy as tact nukes to hit the beaches, to create a "safe" zone for his forces to land. oops. Seems like they didn't quite understand the effects.

As to the rest of the whole argument, I tend to agree with those who support the decision to drop the bomb, though I may question some of the discussion tactics of both sides.
I'm told that worldwide casualty estimates resulting from the second world war range from 50 to 100 million people dead. Human beings, men, women, children, innocent and guilty alike, over most of the globe were incinerated by explosions, suffocated in gas chambers, ripped apart by bullets, drowned helpless in sinking ships. Those of us living fifty years removed from these terrible events cannot easily comprehend what it was like to exist in a time of such unparalleled suffering. I find it hard to question any decision that would end that war with the agressors in defeat, however brutal it may seem to us in our time of relative peace.
When you compare the casualties from the entire horrid war to the numbers killed by those two atomic weapons, it is really only a drop in the bucket. If the act saved the lives of human beings, on either side, then it was justified, and from the facts that I have seen I believe that it did save many thousands, if not millions of lives.
The question is not whether there was a chance the Japanese would surrender if the power of the bomb was demonstrated in a less populated area, but whether there was a chance that they would not. The top, nay the ONLY priority was to end the war, and stop the killing. (At least it should have been. I suppose there may have been ulterior motives, like scaring the Soviets, but I would like to hope that these were secondary to putting a stop to the violence. Maybe my hopes are misplaced, but I guess we can't know for sure.)
Somone above (I'm to lazy to check back through the 6 pages and see who) compared war to a one on one fight between two men. This is an apt analogy, but IIRC they drew the opposite conclusion from it that I am about to. If in a 1v1 physical confrontation with somone who is trying to kill you, if you don't try equally hard to kill them you will lose. If your life is threatened, you don't think about whether its honorable to throw sand in their eye, or kick crotch, or poke eyes, you fight to survive, and that means killing by any means available. Its ugly and its wrong, but I would argue that it is a greater wrong to allow the agressor the advantage by fighting honorably, or trying to subdue him, because after he kills you he will likely go on to kill others if you don't stop him.

Ok I think I've rambled on long enough. That's my two cents anyway.

Perhaps the US government didn't know the full effects, after all they were even testing it on US troops after the war was over in the Bikini Atolls. Shouldn't they have gotten the hint after what they did to Japan?

You're also probally right about not trying to save anyone... The Asians defenately weren't treated the same as the Europeans.

Top Bottom