Historic Battle Series: The Battle of Gaugamelia (331 BC)

Vizurok

Magyar Soldier
Hi all! I've decided to transform some historical battles into Civ3 with no city building or diplomacy. It's just a battle... :D

The first one is the Battle of Gaugamelia, the main battle between the Persian Empire and the Macedons in 331 BC... Alexander the Great had already conquered the Western regions of Persia but the central region is defended by a huge (134 000 soldiers) army with the leadership of King Darius. You have the choice to defeat your choosen enemy's army and capture the king...

The Scenario is now completed... I welcome any comments or crytics...

THE BATTLE

Attachments

• gau1.JPG
    gau1.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 1,207
Go scenario -> scenario properties, there you can set your own game rules and victory conditions. There is page called "victory point limits" where you can set how many points you get when killing enemy troops and how many is needed to win.
Looks good, I'll try this one. btw, have you changed any units stats or something like that?

Yes, I know what do you mean, I have already tried it. I would like to make Darius and Alexander generate 5000 VPs if captured... but the game tells me that I won when I defeat the first unit... :D

I have changed the unit stats...

Macedon:
Hoplite: 25.25.1
Archer: 20.15.1 (20,1)
Horseman: 20.10.2
Companion Cavalry: (special heavy infantry, macedon elite troops) 50.30.2

Persia:
Light Infantry: 35.15.1
Bowman: 20.10.1 (15,1)
Horseman: 20.10.2
Chariot: 25.10.3

The Persians have weaker units, but they are fast and have a vast army...

Vizurok said:
but the game tells me that I won when I defeat the first unit...

Any time a civ starts without at least one settler or city, the game ends for that civ as soon as they lose a unit. Place a settler for each side in an inaccessible place, and make all terrain unsettlable. Victory conditions should be in listboxes in the Scenario Properties window.

Good idea, I actually thought about making battles and made Lake Trasimene at one point. The way that I like to get around cities is by making all terrain unsettleable, and give the units in battle a settle ability. When all of the units die, game over.

And this is good, but how's the playability for Alexander?

Actually I prefer VP system and making 1 settler surrounded by impassable terrain.
Well, Alexander is stronger...If you don't stack your units (I don't advise it, it kills the game...), you should kill Alexander or the game will be very hard.
This is the third version, and I had to lower Macedon stats a bit again...
You get 3600 VP for killing Alexander's Guards or Darius' Chariot and the limit is 10 000. I may raise it later to give a chance to backward units...

I played with the Greeks and I lost because the Persians conquered my city (Greek Camp)... :(

I thought the (Greek) settler was surrounded by impassable terrain but it's not!!!

I fooled around with this concept once, making a very basic representation of the battle of Waterloo using the units from the Conquest scenario. This stuff is pretty fun. The gameplay mechanics in my consisted of most combat being conducted through bombardments (with ranges of around 2), with regular attacks representing bayonet charges.

Another idea is to give each side a city, call it the Greek or Persian headquarters or encampment, maybe put a king unit there. I had cities labeled as "Wellington's Camp" and "Napoleon's Camp." The farm in the middle of the battle was also made a "city."

Good idea, poor execution.I played as persia and got my ass kicked horibly.Those companion infantry are impossible to kill.and even tho I killed Alexander nothing happenned.

Top Bottom