1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Historic Photos.

Discussion in 'World History' started by Harvin87, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

This one?

People were removed from the photo as they were purged. The last picture, showing Stalin alone, is out of chronological sequence however.

2. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

So someone was purged and then unpurged and added back to the photo?

3. Immortal Ace

Immortal Ace Prince

Screw Stalin but this photo is just awesome.

4. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton One. And many.

Is this Berlin? Because as I recall all the heroic shots of Berlin by the Soviets are fake. They actually made a movie about the taking of Berlin and sold it as real footage if I am not mistaken.

5. say1988

say1988 Deity

I assumed he posted that as part of the "historical photoshops" theme we had going.

6. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton One. And many.

One never knows :shifty:
    Btw this picture does look awesome.

7. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Actually, IIRC the last photo is supposed to have been altered before the purge began, to be used as an official portrait of Stalin.

8. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

The photo shown was staged, but it was not "fake", as such- I believe it was a re-enactment of something that had occurred several days previously, when, what it being in the middle of a battle and all that, they didn't happen to have a camera crew handy.

9. say1988

say1988 Deity

The one there is almost certainly modified. Just based on the colour of the flag.

10. Traitorfish

That one is, yes, but that's just one of several recoloured versions, and a rather shoddy one, at that- it looks digital, and the work of someone none-too-expert. The original looks like this:

Another, less famous ones in the sequence include:

Spoiler :

Just to show that it really did happen, if not necessarily as described by the Soviet state.

11. Gelion

Gelion Captain

What really happened? I don't get it...

12. Traitorfish

The events photographed actually happened, in that they are not a forgery or doctoring, but they were a staged recreation of an event which happened several days earlier during the actual siege.

13. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Same can be said about the meet up of American and Soviet soldiers on the river Elbe. First time they met they were vcareful not to shoot at each other and were both in "combat mode". Second time it was all done for the camera and both sides ran towards each other with guns pointed at the air. Both sides were happy to participate.

14. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

So basicaly it is the Russian version of raising the American flag on Okinawa?
    (Or was it Iwo Jima? My WWII Pacific History is failtastic at best.)

15. say1988

say1988 Deity

Iwo Jima is the famous one.

I also seem to recall that the picture of teh flag over teh reichstag was heavily modified by the Soviets, but a quick glance couldn't find confirmation at the moment.

16. Traitorfish

I think that you're referring to Iwo Jima, but I'm lead to believe that one is rather heavily disputed, so I wouldn't be too quick to make a direct comparison.

If that was the case, then why does there exist a whole sequence of photos, several of which I posted above? The most famous image is merely that, the most famous.

Really, we don't have to maintain the that Soviets doctored everything. Sometimes they really did just take photos of stuff that was actually there.

17. say1988

say1988 Deity

It has nothing to do with being Soviet. I suspect a large proportion of such images released by any other government (then or even moreso now due to ease) are doctored.

18. Traitorfish

...Why? :huh:

19. Lord Baal

Lord Baal Deity

Propaganda of course.

20. say1988

say1988 Deity

Because it is often advantagous for governments to do so. To remove something unwanted or to add effect. Hell it doesn't even need to be a government photograph, a huge proportion of photographs are modified in some way (think virtually every picture in most magazzines).
    Further searching shows that the version the Soviets released was modified, they removed a watch from a soldier and added a pile of smoke to the background for dramatic effect. Not too huge, but still modifies. I think the version posted is without those changes, though.