Historical (semi) random events?

I really think the crusades should be in the game as well. I also like the decolonization idea!

I don't think -5% Inflation actually matters that much? Regardless of game speed it's only 5%.

And I don't understand the Stability hit that you associate with Modernization. How is Meiji Restoration or Ataturk's reforms hurting Japan or Turkey's Stability? They only made their countries more stable IMO.

It shouldn't have anything to do with whether a civ is European or not. If it's backward enough, and there are more advanced civs it's in contact with, Modernization event should be allowed to happen.

For example, Russia should have the possibility of Modernizing via Industrialized China. That would provide interesting alternate history, especially if Russia vassalized to China. You can regard this as China sending tech experts into Russia to help them industrialize (instead of the other way around, which is what happened in history).

Not!

In my games (where I am Russia or England) what usually happens is that China occupies Samarkand, Yangon, and Korea. Japan, Mongolia, Indonesia are China's vassals. China remains at constant war with Mughals (as does almost everyone else, due to Trading Company events), but neither can send actual armies against each other due to the Jungles.

And China remains Solid. Perhaps it's their GAs, but they are usually Solid, running Viceroyalty. They may relinquish most of their Tech lead to me, but they are Solid.

Lol @ Russians giving any country at any time in history advice on how to properly run a country.
I love Russian culture, but.

^ The USSR did send thousands of tech experts to help China industrialize. It was rather effective.

It also provided essential technical support for China's nuclear program. That is a colossal act of friendship that should not be forgotten (and it is not).

Jurchens. China needs to be greatly challenged/weakened before the Mongol Invasion, as it was historically.
I meant them to be Barbs/Independents/Natives. Ideally, they should drive AI China out of China's Core (Northern Plains), as was historical.

The analogy here is

Arabs:Seljuks:Ottomans = Chinese:Jurchens:Mongols.

You have one group of invaders (as Barbs/Independents) paving way for another, more formidable group (as a fully playable civ).

Early game China (pre-Calendar) is hectic and difficult. Whereas mid game China (post-Paper & Music) is always rather bland and uneventful. This is just like the Arabs of old (without Seljuks) - too easy and too boring.

Adding Jurchen Barbs/Indies/Natives could improve that greatly.

This idea is still fresh and would add nicely! Currently China is just slaughtered by a stronger Mongols, but I think by making Mongolia move to Korea simultaneously, while Jurchens or Manchu events weaken China, would be much more interesting for all three civilizations and provide a more interesting and more realistic result.

Sunni-Shia split: (Must be Muslim, must be running Theocracy, must be at least 3 other State-Muslim civs) "An smouldering debate has emerged on who should be Muhammed's successor, which side will you take?"
If players takes "Sunni" game proceedes as normal.
If player takes "Shia" civ recieves a "Shia Shrine" (I know there is proper name) a wonder that gives +1 gold for every Islamic city the player owns, at the cost of a permanent diplomatic hit with every state-Islam civ in the game. Perhaps could be scripted for Iranian spawn.
I agree with iOnlySignIn that this is a great way to introduce this. The Middle East needs more wonders, anyways.

*sigh*

Let's get this thread on track with some sound, sane, and balanced ideas.

Modernization

Available to all civs that do not receive a European tech modifier.
The event triggers upon researching/trading for Nationalism.

Effects:
-The civ pays a lump sum of 200 Gold if they wish to "modernize",
if not, disregard the following effects.
-The civ takes a Great Depression style stability hit for 10 turns.
-The civ takes a temporary diplo hit with its regional neighbors (-2 Your bad nature)
-The civ gains a European tech modifier.
-The civ's inflation decreases by 5%.
-The civ is less likely to stay in Dynasticism.

This is to model Japan's rapid rise (Meiji Restoration), S. Corea's extraordinary leap from Third World living standards to modern First World status in just 10-20 years,
and the potential the Ottoman Empire or the Qing Dynasty might have had during the 1800s had they devoted all energies into modernization.

This is also a wonderful idea that should be given more serious discussion.

The Jurchens are a thing that could happen in the next version. I might even use the currently unused Celtia slot for them in all scenarios but 3000 BC for some extra flavor.

This sounds nice, only if you put this is in people are definitely going to be asking about more Seljuk style minor civs like the Huns, Bulgars or Goths next.

This sounds nice, only if you put this is in people are definitely going to be asking about more Seljuk style minor civs like the Huns, Bulgars or Goths next.
I think I can live with that.

Modernization

Available to all civs that do not receive a European tech modifier.
The event triggers upon researching/trading for Nationalism.

Effects:
-The civ pays a lump sum of 200 Gold if they wish to "modernize",
if not, disregard the following effects.
-The civ takes a Great Depression style stability hit for 10 turns.
-The civ takes a temporary diplo hit with its regional neighbors (-2 Your bad nature)
-The civ gains a European tech modifier.
-The civ's inflation decreases by 5%.
-The civ is less likely to stay in Dynasticism.

The modernization, IMO, is not enough. A simple European tech modifier is not worth a stability penalty, a sum of gold, and a diplo hit. The incentive needs to be larger, or I could never see myself taking the option

Yeah, throw in some giant death robots and access to a time machine.

Top Bottom