Historical (semi) random events?

So when Leoreth created the trading comany and reformation events work, it really opens up new options for other events.

- Crusades (Conditions: must be Catholic, must already be at war with the Islamic civ(s), must not be at war with another Catholic civ, must be before 1300 AD)

- Replacing certain barbarian spawns with time & place scripted events ("A massive army of Vandals/Bulgarians/Iroquois/Berbers/Nabateans has appeared outside of Rome/Constantinople/Chicago/Carthage/Heiroselum!" ect.)

- Ikonoclasm: (Must be Orthodox, must be running Theocracy, must have at least 1 city with Islam) Between 1-7 religious buildings are destroyed. The Islam thing represents how many historians believe Emperor Leo I (I think it was that one) got his ideas about images from growing up on the borders near Islam in anatolia. Could happen multiple times, would give strong incentive for Byzantium to remove the Islam from its cities.

Install Anti-Pope: (Must be HRE, must be before 1300) Reward for taking Rome within a certain number of turns.

Crisis of Succession: (Must be running Monarchy, must be at war with another civ running monarchy must be before 1400)
Bonus for taking another civs "rightful land". (Hundred years war, russia after Ivan IV)

Sunni-Shia split: (Must be Muslim, must be running Theocracy, must be at least 3 other State-Muslim civs) "An smouldering debate has emerged on who should be Muhammed's successor, which side will you take?"
If players takes "Sunni" game proceedes as normal.
If player takes "Shia" civ recieves a "Shia Shrine" (I know there is proper name) a wonder that gives +1 gold for every Islamic city the player owns, at the cost of a permanent diplomatic hit with every state-Islam civ in the game. Perhaps could be scripted for Iranian spawn.

Christian Alphabet:
(Must be Orthodox, must have writing, must have contact with a non-Christian civ, that civ must not have alphabet)
Get a random event with the choice to convert all of another civs cities to Orthodoxy at the cost of 40 gold and gifting the recieving civ Alphabet & a significant culture boost. Obviously I'm thinking of Byzantine missions to Russia & Eastern Europe here, though it could apply to any nearby civ, with higher costs for more faraway civs. (and would help Russia's rubbish culture ingame).

Pagan Revival:
(Must be Christian, must be before 600 AD)
If option accepted: Adopt no state-religion, religion removed from 3-10 cities, recieve free pagan temple in all avaliable cities, recieve 1 free technology.

Jewish Revolt:
(Must control Hieroselum, must be below solid)
Self-explanatory.

Punic Wars
(Must be Phonecian, must be at war with Rome, must own Qart-Hadasht)
Maybe this is too deterministic...but if Rome gets 20 free Praetorians, why not this? : Recieve free Great General, spawn Elephants and Swordsmen in Spain, very significant reward for conquering Roma.

Trade Guns with the Natives
(Must have Gunpowder, must have at least 3 african colonies)
If chosen: Recieve between 100-500 gold, marauding native units now spawn as Askari rather than Impi. Would be a very interesting choice to make.

Abolitionism
Adopt Egalatarianism (Or whatever Emancipation is now, I can't keep up) for free without anarchy, hard relations hit with all civs using other civics.

Jurchens. China needs to be greatly challenged/weakened before the Mongol Invasion, as it was historically.

Also, there shouldn't be a year limit, but a Tech limit, so that anachronisms can be avoided.

For example, Crusades/Anti-Pope only happen to Catholic civs who don't have Paper (Printing Press is too late). Crisis of Succession only happens when you do not have Education (Constitution is too late).

^Jurchens I actually agree with, but only as independents.
The overall Manchu contribution to the world is dubious at best and I don't think they merit an inclusion as a full civ.

Crusades are needed. It is a major point in history that does need representation.

Ikonoclasm is a terribad idea. Why, why, why do more of these suggestions keep popping up? Do people even understand how these things would change the game if they were implemented?

I didn't say anything about any Manchu civ.
I just like to bounce ideas around, I don't actually expect many of them if any to be implemented.
Site writes suggestions are welcome, no?

Jurchens were in response to iOnlySignIn.

You ninja'ed my post, but I addressed some of the things in your first post as well.

Ninja'ed?

Ninja'ed is a forum term.
It means you posted when I was in the middle of drafting a post in response to another.

Why u no like religious-sponsored vandalism?

I agreed with you about the Crusades.
Ikonoclasm is a bad idea from a game design point of view.
Do you think a player will enjoy an arbitrary loss of all their religious buildings
for no discernible reason that they can help?
Look at it this way:
-You can't stop spread of religion.
-Russia & Byzantines are often Orthodox and Secularism is a long way's off.
-If a player wants to switch to Theocracy to raise a better army, this can really throw a wrench in those plans, for no reason, other than being arbitrary.

Jurchens were in response to iOnlySignIn.
I meant them to be Barbs/Independents/Natives. Ideally, they should drive AI China out of China's Core (Northern Plains), as was historical.

The analogy here is

Arabs:Seljuks:Ottomans = Chinese:Jurchens:Mongols.

You have one group of invaders (as Barbs/Independents) paving way for another, more formidable group (as a fully playable civ).

Early game China (pre-Calendar) is hectic and difficult. Whereas mid game China (post-Paper & Music) is always rather bland and uneventful. This is just like the Arabs of old (without Seljuks) - too easy and too boring.

Adding Jurchen Barbs/Indies/Natives could improve that greatly.

Sunni-Shia split: (Must be Muslim, must be running Theocracy, must be at least 3 other State-Muslim civs) "An smouldering debate has emerged on who should be Muhammed's successor, which side will you take?"
If players takes "Sunni" game proceedes as normal.
If player takes "Shia" civ recieves a "Shia Shrine" (I know there is proper name) a wonder that gives +1 gold for every Islamic city the player owns, at the cost of a permanent diplomatic hit with every state-Islam civ in the game. Perhaps could be scripted for Iranian spawn.
This is an ingenious way to represent Shia Islam without formally representing it as another religion.

We could simplify it into a Wonder, like The Round Church from RFCE. Removes Brothers in Faith relations bonus of fellow Islamic civs, but with a significant benefit to compensate.

And we can make this Wonder require certain techs/resources, so that the Safavids are more likely to build it than the other Islamic civs (and tweak Abbas' s AI so that he will build it more often).

Holocaust - (Must be Prussia, must have Judaism in at least 2 cities, must have Fascism, must not have Future Tech) -2 Population in cities with Judaism, -1 Population in cities without, +5 Happiness per population lost, no happiness or population loss in cities with 2 or less population, expels Judaism in all cities, all captured cities are rid of Judaism, no happiness per population lost in captured cities.

That's all I got.

Holocaust - (Must be Prussia, must have Judaism in at least 2 cities, must have Fascism, must not have Future Tech) -2 Population in cities with Judaism, -1 Population in cities without, +5 Happiness per population lost, no happiness or population loss in cities with 2 or less population, expels Judaism in all cities, all captured cities are rid of Judaism, no happiness per population lost in captured cities.

There is no Judaism in the game; anyways I'm not sure if +5 happiness is the most appropriate way to represent the holocaust as it might imply that the German people were happy with what happened.

That's all I got.
Well, the general idea is quite good, but the outcome should rather be financial, e.g. a reasonably high amount of gold and OF COURSE NOT happiness!!!
Maybe: -1 pop (if city is <10) / -2 pop (if city is >10), get XY gold, chance of city-revolts and/or barbarian troop spawns (representing people who fought against the nazis and/or hid jewish-German people).

Well, the general idea is quite good, but the outcome should rather be financial, e.g. a reasonably high amount of gold and OF COURSE NOT happiness!!!
Maybe: -1 pop (if city is <10) / -2 pop (if city is >10), get XY gold, chance of city-revolts and/or barbarian troop spawns (representing people who fought against the nazis and/or hid jewish-German people).

What if, and I'm just throwing this out there, Holocaust was a Unique Project (kinda like a UB or a UU except UP) for the Prussians, replacing Persecution (but instead it requires fascism)? Although the holocaust was mainly focused around Judaism, b/c there's no Judaism in this game, this represent the nazi's hatred of all foreign religions. Perhaps the Holocaust project would, instead of just removing a foreign religion from the city, also removed all foreign culture from the city? This would be helpful and stop any german cities from flipping culturally while fascist, representing the iron grip Hitler had over the Third Reich.

... do I really have to step in here and explain why this would be a bad idea?

I thought it was a joke at first. A quite bizzare one, but... couldnt come up with any other explanation.

Why? Because the holocaust was horrible? I definitely agree that it was probably the most evil event in history. But do we really have to omit history? However disregard my comment if it seems too offensive. I mean no disrespect towards the victims.

*sigh*

Let's get this thread on track with some sound, sane, and balanced ideas.

Modernization

Available to all civs that do not receive a European tech modifier.
The event triggers upon researching/trading for Nationalism.

Effects:
-The civ pays a lump sum of 200 Gold if they wish to "modernize",
if not, disregard the following effects.
-The civ takes a Great Depression style stability hit for 10 turns.
-The civ takes a temporary diplo hit with its regional neighbors (-2 Your bad nature)
-The civ gains a European tech modifier.
-The civ's inflation decreases by 5%.
-The civ is less likely to stay in Dynasticism.

This is to model Japan's rapid rise (Meiji Restoration), S. Corea's extraordinary leap from Third World living standards to modern First World status in just 10-20 years,
and the potential the Ottoman Empire or the Qing Dynasty might have had during the 1800s had they devoted all energies into modernization.

[edit: crosspost with TD, replying to the holocaust stuff in hopes to thereby end this tangent]
Well, actually I don't know where to begin.

There is no Judaism in this game (besides the Temple of Solomon). If there was, we would already have the Holocaust represented by the Persecution mechanic, without the need to glorify it by making a distinct project out of it.

But Judaism is not in the game. Including the holocaust would essentially mean it was more important to include the ability to commit genocide on Jews than including Jews themselves. That's just wrong.

And I'm not happy with the idea to associate the ability to commit genocide with one particular civ in the game either.

Modernization

Available to all civs that do not receive a European tech modifier.
The event triggers upon researching/trading for Nationalism.
I like the general idea. But I have different preferences on its implementation.

On top of having Nationalism/Constitution, Modernization should require not being in Industrial/Modern era yourself (so that if China/Ottomans are very advanced already, they don't get an unnecessary, unbalanced boost) while having OB with an Industrial/Modern civ. The OB requirement will time Japan's Modernization event perfectly with the leaderhead switch from Toku to Meiji.

Modernization could be implemented using existing mechanisms such as a Golden Age (this will synergize with Chinese UHV). Or a Free Tech(s) wave ala Liberalism/Internet (you gain 1~3 Industrial era Techs from the Industrial/Modern civ you have OB with). Or a combination of GA and free techs.

Bottom line is it should be a temporary boost rather than a permanent one. Japan already has a very decent Tech modifier (I don't know how it compares to Prussia, but it should be close). China/Ottomans are already powerful enough with their UP, exclusive non-obsolete Wonders, and rich Resources. If Mali is healthy and strong, and you give it a European Tech Modifier, it can quickly become the most advanced civ.

Top Bottom