Historical significance behind "Solidarity"?

Love CiV

Chieftain
I'm just curious as to the significance, or origin of the Solidarity UA of Poland. It didn't seem very straightforward, so if anyone can clear that up, great!

Solidarity- unity amongst all classes of a specific society to work towards a greater, shared goal.
Through much of its history, poland was was attacked and seiged, by the kievan rus, to the prussians, to the ottomans, to the russians, and finally the germans. Through all of these many assaults the polish people stood defiant, together, refusing to take a single step back. This was not a fight of greedy kings, holding onto power by lobbing peasants into the meat grinder, nor was it a battle by the poor trying to appease any so called god. These were fought by the poles, for the poles, to defend poland. This deep unity led poland to modernise socially far swifter than its neighbors, with sweeping monarchial reforms and a nearly democratic state hundreds of years before the rest of europe. The history of poland is long, complex, and interesting. Hope this got you interested in learning a little about it.

Also the unity of the Polish even though they had different religions in the country.

Also the unity of the Polish even though they had different religions in the country.

That too, ignoring that was a glaring oversight on my part.

Solidarność—Solidarity—is a Polish union which started in the early 80s in Gdańsk. It was the first non-communist union in the country, and I believe even is the entire Eastern Bloc. But more than a union it was a key player in the anti-Soviet movement, its members fighting for free elections and Soviet independence for Poland. Solidarność was instrumental in kickstarting the eventual collapse of the Eastern Bloc. Lech Wałęsa, the leader of Solidarność, went on to become Poland's first elected president.

Solidarność—Solidarity—is a Polish union which started in the early 80s in Gdańsk. It was the first non-communist union in the country, and I believe even is the entire Eastern Bloc. But more than a union it was a key player in the anti-Soviet movement, its members fighting for free elections and Soviet independence for Poland. Solidarność was instrumental in kickstarting the eventual collapse of the Eastern Bloc. Lech Wałęsa, the leader of Solidarność, went on to become Poland's first elected president.

This. This labor union ended up destroying Soviet influence in Poland and it all started with a dock workers strike. Eventually solidarity grew so powerful that the intelligentsia spread across Eastern Europe and effected anti-Soviet movements elsewhere

Top Bottom