Historically Accurate Western Europe Spawns

Bonapartist

Chieftain
Leoreth, what are the chances we could see historically accurate spawns for the Euopean civs in the next version of RFC DOC? It would be much more rewarding and wouldn't be hard to implement. I'd envision something like this:

300 - 100 BC: A Celtic civilization, or at least just the existing Gallic civilization have settlements in London, York, Scotland, and Ireland. These could spread gradually after Paris spawns, the same way the French cities already do. London and Yorkshire were conquered, not settled, by the Romans, and the Romans encountered resistance in Scotland.

481 AD: France spawns where HRE presently settles Frankfurt, reflecting the beginning of Clovis' reign. During this period, the French name for this city is Aix-la-Chapelle. France gets Paris and Bordeaux as its core territory flip on the next turn or two, but has to conquer Lyon/Marseille. This would accurately reflect the beginning of the reign of Clovis and then the Frankish conquest of Latin Gaul and the Kingdom of Burgundy. It would also allow the user to play as Charlemagne, conquering Lyon/Marseille, Vienna, Rome, and Barcelona.

718 AD: Spain spawns one city in Santiago, reflecting the founding of the Kingdom of Asturias. Spain then has to conquer Barcelona, Madrid/Toledo, and Cordoba from the French/Independents/Moors. Relocating the capital to central Madrid is a natural next step upon completion of the reconquista.

820 AD: England spawns in London with no settlers. England flips Yorkshire as core territory and can possibly settle Portsmouth. Scotland and Ireland remain under Celtic control until conquered by England.

843 AD: The Holy Roman Empire spawns in Aachen (French Aix-la-Chapelle), reflecting the date of the Treaty of Verdun. Core territory includes Aachen and Vienna. Any potential destabilization to France would then result in a historically accurate split into West Francia (Paris, Bordeaux), Middle Francia (Independent Lyon/Marseille, Rome), and East Francia (Aachen, Vienna).

Currently the game lacks an opportunity to play as Charlemagne and conquer Western Europe, which is sort of disappointing. The above progression would be much more historically accurate and rewarding.

There's been some discussion of this here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/changed-spawn-dates.637293/
I think a number of civs may be getting adjusted spawn dates eventually. It might be worth reading through some of that thread and adding your ideas there too. I have no idea if/when Leoreth will make a given change though.
I'd wager it'll accompany the new map.

The new map requires a lot of rebalancing, so might as well rebalance for new spawn times.

However, what you suggest is railroading history with a very specific chain of events.

The more the cores are shifting and surprise flip zone are thrown around, the more unstable the civs will be. Players that don't expect them are screwed (currently, there is zippo documentation of civ-specific core shifts and I was regularly taken by surprise the first time I played in a region) and players that expect them will exploit them maximally, which means that history will not unfold historically.

Worst of it all are independence events. Not scheduled at all, there is not even a slight warning that the very next turn, your stable empire will crumble to dust because three cities are flipping to an unstoppable independence movement.

Top Bottom