History Channel Rehash of the Martian Invasion

bugwar

Emperor

OK, who thinks this will be worth either watching live or putting on the DVR?

From what I saw of the trailer, it doesn't look that good.

I hope I am wrong, and that it is an enjoyable flick. But with History Channel running it, I fear otherwise.

Or Secret Martian Arms of the Nazis...

Actually, I think it looks kinda fun.

If anyone hasn't read the War of the Worlds, I'd really recommend it. It's really stood the test of time, and is really quite exciting.

Hmm. Based on that trailer, I just tried to set my DVR to record it. But it's not listed in the online schedule or on ZAP2it.com...

History Channel has been headed downhill for years. At this point, they should just call it SyFy Part 2 and be done with it.

Antilogic's source, puts the History Channel under its most severe category, "Total Abandonment" of original programming focus. But it also suggests why, and I didn't know this. Previously the Smithsonian had provided them with content, but then they signed an exclusive deal with Showtime. So sad. It feels like, with as many channels as there are, there could be one, just one, that actually dealt with historical material.

You aren't supposed to say it's a TVTropes link, they are supposed to click it, waste two hours of their life, and then curse my name!

Any hoo, I was surprised to see that as well. Looks like they kinda started on the PBS route and then lost it.

It feels like, with as many channels as there are, there could be one, just one, that actually dealt with historical material.

Oh yeah, dude. That's the SyFy channel now. Ghosthunters and whatnot. Ghosts are obviously from dead people, and dead people are from the past. Bam, history.

It's hard as hell to find recent historical documentary worth watching. Basically the things I watch are decades old. Anything modern (and especially of American provenance) is horribly stupid. The most recent documentary I remember was one about World War 1, and it was British. At least it deals with the subject matter with some respect and it contains some information.

It's hard as hell to find recent historical documentary worth watching. Basically the things I watch are decades old. Anything modern (and especially of American provenance) is horribly stupid. The most recent documentary I remember was one about World War 1, and it was British. At least it deals with the subject matter with some respect and it contains some information.

Well, the problem is that there are far more profitable audiences than the most of us and we relying more and more on the internet for infotainment. Thus, the quality of TV documentaries is going steadily downhill. It almost certainly has to do with the fact the computer can do anything a TV can and more.

Well, the problem is that there are far more profitable audiences than the most of us and we relying more and more on the internet for infotainment. Thus, the quality of TV documentaries is going steadily downhill. It almost certainly has to do with the fact the computer can do anything a TV can and more.

Can it? Because sometimes I just want to sit down, have a coffee and relax while watching a good documentary. I don't have time to read hundreds of pages on the internet, often of dubious quality anyway. And don't take me wrong, I like reading books on history, but I enjoy TV documentary as a format for other reasons.

The problem is that most new things in this genre are full of sensationalist bullcrap that insults the intelligence of anybody who actually knows even a tiny bit of the subject matter. Basically only BBC and other public-service channels produce quality programming these days (yay free market!).

Right now when I need to relax I watch Century of Warfare. Except the maps, which are... weird, I am thoroughly enjoying it because it delivers exactly what I expect it to deliver. It's from 1993.

Playtone does some good docudramas and they are Ahmurikan.

Top Bottom