History & Lore Department

Ehecatl Atzin

Lore Master
History Department Office

Welcome all to the Fanatikan Department of historical archives, studies, discusions, raritites and the sort.
We here at the department are just getting started with this thing call history, therefore, and until the discovery of a thing our soothsayers call writting, we shall rely on our cave paintings, pottery, oral traditions, myths, stories and rhymes.

Also, please visit our Historical Statistics Department, run by the most esteemed Octavian X. There you may find all statistics relating to our people. You may find his office here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30401

First of, let us hear our myth of creation.

--- The world had changed, it could be felt in the earth, sensed in the water, felt in the wind. History had turned to legend, legend had turned to myth, for none now lived that rembered...
Nothing had existed before, everything lay silent and dormant for a millenia, until the great lands awakened and gave birth to a great giant, Atmir, who created the Drayssliga, a great evergreen that would later become shelter to the world. He later created a race of giants from his blood that spilled unto flames. He then went back to sleep, never to awake again. The giants began to melt the ice that had formed on the earth, from where a giant cow, Adlma, emerged and gave sustenance to them, Adlma licked the salty stones for her own sustenance and after 3 days a complete woman emerged, this woman gave birth to a race of dwarves that later killed the giants and from their bones created the mountains, from their blood the rivers and from their brains the clouds... Only one giant survived the slaughter, hiden from the dwarves by their own mother, this giant, Fortwath, slayed the dwarves and in their place created men and women to populate the earth the dwarves had created. Fortwath and his mother used the eyelashes of the giants to create a giant fort to live in and from there they moved the earth under the Drayssliga, so it would be protected for all eternity.
The race of men Fortwath created began to walk the lands towards the south, since the icy north was too harsh to survive in. For 4,000 years the searched the earth for a place to live. They found a great valley surrounded by hills made by the bones of giants and nurtured by the waters of the northern sea, a wild cow was sighted to the north and saw it as a sign of the great Adlma. They settled and founded the city we would later call Bavaria.
----

That is our myth of creation, or so the story goes. Any other myths anyone remembers?

Ehecatl Atzin

I thought our creation myth featured doughnuts. Something like a giant crueller cast forth whole from the smoking maw of the earth, or, you know, some corner shop. I might of had it wrong though, I wasn't really paying attention.

I have heard stories of the great peoples who chose to settle our capital of Bavaria. The tribe was a wandering, roaming on, constantly following the cattle that it hunted and ate.

Then, one day as the tribe sat around their fire to cook the day's catch. This is where the fact become muddled. I have heard many a variation, however most say that the clouds parted, and a great doughnut descended from the sky. Some say it was a regular sized one, though many say it was 10-15 feet across.

Anyway, the doughnut began to move. The tribe, fascinated by this new object, followed it for miles, toiling day and night to see where it went. Through desert, forest, great mountain and river, they say many a good place to hunt new food. However, they still kept on, often without food and water.

Then, unexpectedly, the doughnut stopped it's trek across the sky. The tribe stopped, and gazed in awe as it descended to the ground. After consulting among themselves, they elect the tribe's elder to go up and investigate. The rest watched, as the shaman went up to the mysterious object. He bent to investigate, and watched as he picked it up. Then the tribe watched in horror as he ate it.

The rest of the tribe advanced angrily on the shaman, who had eaten a holy object they had followed for days. All of a sudden, a beam of light fell upon the elder. The tribe halted, and watch amazedly as his eyes flashed a great red color.

According to most accounts, this is what he said...

You have been chosen. You have been chosen to be the people that shall conquer the world! People shall first oppose you, and try to fight back, but do not become disheartened! All will bow before your great desendents.
You are to call yourselves Fanatikans, of the great nation of FANATIKA.
Now I, THE GREAT DOUGHNUT GOD, command to you found a great city here. This city shall stand for all eternity. It will become the envy of your enemies, and the pride of your nation.
Now, go, and fulfill your destiny

With that, the light went away, and the shaman returned to his normal state. The first Fanatikans founded Bavaria on that very site, and built the Presidential Palace there.

To this day, no one has heard again from this mystical deity, the doughnut god. Rumors have it, though, that he shall rise again...

@ Octavian -- great story!

@ SAAM -- I disagree, myths and legends aren't polled and aproved, they become. We shall mix my myth with Octavian's myth and see what comes out. If anyone else remembers anything, it shall influence the myth also, until we discover writting it shall continue to change and shift. That's how myths are made.

Ehecatl Atzin

okay. just let it be know, to all, that the ledgen says that this new land we have discovered, this icy artic area, is home to the PENGUIN KING.... He looks down on his faithful followers and grants them victory. Let us pray to him, the Doughnut God and Atmir.

SaaM
High Preist of the Exalted Penguin Temple

now, i dont have a PHD in History writing, but i belive it involves more being at turn chats, or at least reading them, and then writing a history about it, like you read in the textbooks. And i know you say its because we dont have writing, fair enough, but we havent reached the Modern Age yet and we're going to have an automation program running our programs. Im not picking a fight or attacking you personnallly, but i wanna see some history when i come here.

The Great Iguanaman

It's also keeping stats from the game so we know how we're doing, and who has what.

@ Chieftess -- I appointed Octavian X to do the stats part of the job. He has already done one post on the matter and I aprove of it.

@ Great Iguanaman -- Yes, it involves more than just myths. Excuse me for triying to be a bit realistic in the game. History, like in the text books, appears after writting, and even then it's a bit off. Right now, there is no way of knowing what happened before man began to writte. Hence the term prehistory. Yes, I know that a lot of what will happen and has happened in the game will be lost, just like in real life, but then again, we can investigate it later in the modern age, just like in real life.
Now, if you want history of what has happened:
The game started at 4000 b.C. Two cities where founded, none has had any real historical impact on the world (no wonders, no wars, no nothing) we have been "discovered" by the aztecs, the british and the japanese. (they came to us, not the other way around). We can be considered technologicaly backwards, partly beacuse we haven't found any goody huts and beacuse of low scientific funding. This has happened beacuse there is no gold in the vecinity. As we all know, metals move the world, without any gold, the advancement of a civilization suffers.
The relationship between the germans (us) and the rest of the world, has, so far, been insipid. No real trade networks have been established and no technological trades have ocurred.
In other words, nothing much has happened.

Ehecatl Atzin

@ Octavian, I'm not sure i understand what you're asking of me :confused:

Ehecatl Atzin

oh, done!

Ehecatl Atzin

God, look at this place. It's as if a small child was left adrift in the river waters with nothing to fend for it but it's will to survive...
I have greatly malnurished this place...
Free people of Fanatika! share with us your stories, your rhymes, your legends so that we may begin to form our history. Who here remembers how we were formed as a city?
Who here has songs and stories of great warriors and leaders (AJ, for example)?
Who wishes to share their fanatikan experience?

Ehecatl Atzin

Ehecatl, I'm sure once our Crusaders return victorious from the land of the heathen Aztecs, we will have many a story to tell. I'll make sure to post something after the Aegir Regiment wins a few battles....

@ Plexus -- Yes, you are :)

@ Grandmaster -- Yes! and with writing, this office can finally begin, since the Great Trade Debates were the first important thing to happen after said discovery I'm writing the story of that first, I'm just putting some last minute details so it should be ready soon.

Ehecatl Atzin

When the Aztec war begins, expect some corrospondence from a commander in the field :D

Also, when the war does begin, perhaps the history department could sponser a contest concerning the name of the war.

Writing has given us a great gift, the posibility to record our history. Be it political, comercial, social or cultural. We learned it from the hindu culture to the east of us, this is only fitting since they also taught us alphabet. We have a great debt with them...

We are a noble and lighthearted people who cherish liberties and will not doubt to use force to preserve them. Ours is a culture rich in tradition and stories. Our myths speak of a giant doughnut shaped object, known as the Unthathrill, that guided our ancestors to “a place of many wild cows and hills of plenty” They settled and flourished in that small valley. We do not know what they originally called it, but it is now known as Bavaria the Old. It soon grew in population thanks to its abundant plains on wich to farm crops and the cows that fed them with their milk, cheese, cream and meat. Our myths also speak of a giant tree that holds and preserves life. This tree lives to the north farther away than the icy lands, beyond the breath of Quiahuitilatl, the demons of the icy cold...surrounded by a giant dragon that threatens to eat the tree and with it destroy all eternity.

There is no doubt that a divine force guided them to the place we now inhabit. Soon many other people came: Zarn, a lonely mystic that spoke of secret powers known as the Force and has now formed a group called the Jedi, wrapped in mistery and intrigue. Cyc, an honorable fisherman that speaks of a time when a great moment defined our civilization, the meeting with our southern neighbours, the aztecs. Ehecatl Atzin, a man of noble lineage from the south, living in silent exile. Chieftess, a great ruler that guided our first steps onto this world like a mother teaches a child how to walk among thorns...

Soon another city was formed, we do not know exactly why this was. Maybe a group of discontented people left Bavaria. Perhaps it was planned as a sister city. Whatever the reason, conquest seems unlikely. She lies close to Bavaria, ever vigilant of the dangers of the wild. Valhalla, land of the Gods. Many myths speak of it as the birth place of the Gods, the divine land where this world meets the celestial courts. A place of worship, indeed. She is populated by hearty women and men that work the plains and the hills. Home of craftsmen, fine silversmiths that adourn our leaders’ head with royal crowns.

Very little is known of that time, we know it was peacefull, for our great granmothers speak of a prosperous time when the sister cities where the table of the world. Where every civilization met each other. In this sence Bavaria is a link between east and west, a vital strategic point that will no doubt serve future generations well.
Our craftsmen are recognized in the known world as exelent pottery workers as well, their craft has reached the far lands of the japanese, or says Trader/warrior, a visitor of foreign lands that brings us news from the outside world.
A third city was formed shortly after, Morgana. She crowns a hill rich with iron. These mines go deep into the belly of the Earth. Stories of great monsters that inhabit the deep places of the land are heard among the miners. Beasts of many fangs wich they use to shred the skin of their victims while they are dragged to their death in the darkness of the deep. Morgana, a place of ironsmiths and the birth of a great army of men destined to conquer the south. Morgana of the deep she is called among her inhabitants, for they say the city reaches the aztec lands and the warm entrails of the earth with her burried tendrills that span the lands in search of that precious ore.
Even as this is being written there are plans to settle other cities, some to the south, others to the weast and the east...but never to the north, for our settlers fear the Quiahuitilatl...breathers of ice and killers of men.

The aztecs live to the south, they are, as of now, a peaceful people, their cities are grand and sublime. Great streets that guide the way to great structures known as sacred hills. They’re excellent gold and silversmiths. Their leaders are adorned with feathers that glitter blue and green, red and gold as the light dances upon them. They also have many incense fields in the hills that craddle Teotihuacan, an ancient city, not unlike our Valhalla. For they both have similar histories, Teotihuacan is known as the birthplace of the Gods, or where men become Gods, as is Valhalla. Their incense is the very smell of the heavens, it entangles the spirit and craddles the mind held softly but firmly in its grip.

Our lands are currently held in a hurricane of war. We are preparing to attack the aztecs. All leaders have aproved, the people have spoken. Our armies leave our cities while their wives and children look to the place where blood shall be spilled, where the earth shall quench her thirst. The sound of iron on iron can be heard as they silently march onward with CivGeneral at the head of that great mass of iron and cloth, skin and bones.

Ehecatl Atzin

Despite the fact that I'm disappointed I wasn't mentioned, I think that this is an excellent piece of writing. History is, of course, a story that tells of actual events.

Perhaps this description of cities is something you can do periodically, especially now in your new, though unwanted, free time.

Top Bottom