1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

History of C2C

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Hydromancerx, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

On ModDB it has listed August 24, 2008 as the when C2C was first released but that is not right at all. The beginning of the Main Thread was then but it did not start out as C2C.

strategyonly was working on his Next War Advanced mod. I am not a familiar with the details of how much he did for that and if it was Prehistoric NWA yet but that's where the date comes from.

A New Dawn was still active then and I was just a fan of the game and would constantly nag Afforess to make my stuff. Much of it got in, but overtime Afforess seemed to get burnt out. And Civ5 was on the horizon. Seeing this I asked him to teach me how to mod myself on Feb 20, 2010, here.

Since Afforess kicked most of my stuff out of his mod I gathered it up and began my own mod. Which was on Feb 25, 2010 was when I made my HAND mod (Hydro's A New Dawn).

It lasted for a bit but I got busy for a bit and disappeared for awhile. Handing my mod off to others on the community. Which I think SO used some stuff.

When I came back I found strategyonly's NWA mod which had already been incorporating Dancing Hoskuld's Subdued animal mod. Which I commented had dinosaurs in it.

I always wanted to get a Prehistoric mod and I still wanted to bring stuff in from the AToM mod which was going to be a space mod with Civ Fuehrer.

So on the historic day Nov 10, 2010 I asked strategyonly if I could join his mod and he said yes.

After that I am not sure when the first Official C2C release was, but it was so hard back then since we had no SVN and no max compatibility. Those have made C2C so much easier to mod.

So to get back to my point. Caveman 2 Cosmos the name was actually named "Cavemen 2 Cosmos" but SO did not think it sounded right. So somewhere in late 2010 C2C officially started and Prehistoric NWA and HAND officially ended. Note I did not even learned how to mod until February 2010 so it could not have possibly started in 2008 (I was doing Spore stuff back then). In short C2C is around 3 years old, not 5 years old. However if you want to trace its roots back you would have to go all the way back to Rise of Mankind or possibly earlier.

If anyone else had something to add that they remember please say so.

2. gigablaster83

gigablaster83 Chieftain

I remember the whole story of this mod. I want to thank both you and strategyonly, as well as all the other guys who have created this fantastic mod. Thank you very much!

3. SargontheGreat2

SargontheGreat2 Modder

November 11, 2010: "Well I am definitely going to work with strategyonly on the Prehistoric mod. and I still want to do stuff for the Galactic Era with Civ Fuehrer. So hopefully if all goes well the Prehistoric Mod + HAND (my mods) + AToM (Galactic Era stuff) will all be combined into a mega mod using some of the ideas I posted in in this thread. I hope to call it "Cavemen 2 Cosmos" since I think that's the most fitting title for such an expansive mod. In short I am very excited to get back to Civ4 modding again." History is written.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356780&page=17- ROM for Civ 5

4. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Do you have a link to that quote?