History of Food?

carmen510 said:
I thought apples were the most eaten fruit. :p

Me too. Here they outsell absolutely everything, by far. Also I think I heard somewhere that it's the most adaptable fruit (growing from Argentina to India and Russia).

And I've only eaten 1 mango in my whole life. :eek:

I learned quite late that sunflowers were native to the Americas.
I've eaten only 1 too - it was a gift. :( They're expensive as hell here.

I wonder where Brassica oleracea stands in all this. Among the foods that come from it are cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, collard greens and kohlrabi. Broccoli seems to be in most frozen food mixes these days. Other species in the same genus give us chinese cabbages, turnips, rutabagas, canola, mustard, radishes and daikons.

I wonder where Brassica oleracea stands in all this. Among the foods that come from it are cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, collard greens and kohlrabi. Broccoli seems to be in most frozen food mixes these days. Other species in the same genus give us chinese cabbages, turnips, rutabagas, canola, mustard, radishes and daikons.

Chives are also Brassicas IIRC.

Me too. Here they outsell absolutely everything, by far. Also I think I heard somewhere that it's the most adaptable fruit (growing from Argentina to India and Russia).

Those places all have a temperate climate. I don't think apple trees can survive in the tropics.

They are an iconic fruit in the U.S. We have the mythological Johnny Appleseed, it's a tradition to give teachers an apple, & the saying, "as American as apple pie." This is probably why some are suprised it's not the most eaten fruit here.

The apple is a very common fruit in Singapore too (which is almost on the equator). Imported. :p

I think the history of coffee is quite interesting. It's a common misconception that coffee originated in South America. In fact, it originated in Ethiopia. From there, it spread to the Arabian penninsula where Yemen maintained a near monopoly on the coffee trade for centuries. Europe met coffee through the Crusades. I think it wasn't until the 18th century that a European managed to smuggle some coffee plants out of Arabia & grow them elsewhere.

SERIOUSLY? Coffee came from the Arabian peninsula? You're joking right? Of course, you're being sarcastic. Right? Please tell me, 'cause I cant really tell internet sarcasm, since theres no sarcastic voice.

Although I don't much like bananas myself.

I do, they're great for a quick pick-me-up after exercising, for example.

What makes commercial banana cultivars so vulnerable to disease is that a given cultivar is essentially all clones of the same plant (seedless, therefore sterile), reproduced by planting offshoots. Being genetically identical, all of the plants have the same vulnerabilities, so when a disease appears that can harm one of them it can harm all of them.

Probably right after Solanaceae (deadly nightshade) which gives us tobacco. Peppers, tomatoes, eggplant and potato are of trivial concern in comparison. My favorite is Cucurbitaceae, which is melons, squash, cucumbers and loofa.

J

Those places all have a temperate climate. I don't think apple trees can survive in the tropics.

They are an iconic fruit in the U.S. We have the mythological Johnny Appleseed, it's a tradition to give teachers an apple, & the saying, "as American as apple pie." This is probably why some are suprised it's not the most eaten fruit here.
Apples require a couple hundred hours of cold, ie below 40° F, to fruit. The trees grow fine, but no fruit. The same is true several temperate plants.

There is nothing mythological about John Chapman, aka Johnny Appleseed. He really did travel the midwest, planting trees and starting orchards.

J

You can respond to multiple posts in one post by using the "multi" button instead of the "quote" button.

Probably right after Solanaceae (deadly nightshade) which gives us tobacco. Peppers, tomatoes, eggplant and potato are of trivial concern in comparison.

What do you mean by "trivial concern?"

There is nothing mythological about John Chapman, aka Johnny Appleseed. He really did travel the midwest, planting trees and starting orchards.

I knew someone would call me on that.:)

I meant the mythological person, not the historical one he's based on. I was refering to myths about him like walking across the nation several times barefoot, constantly dropping seeds from a sack that never emptied. Johnny Appleseed has become an American myth similar to Pecos Bill & Paul Bunyan.

You can respond to multiple posts in one post by using the "multi" button instead of the "quote" button.

What do you mean by "trivial concern?"

I knew someone would call me on that.:)

I meant the mythological person, not the historical one he's based on. I was referring to myths about him like walking across the nation several times barefoot, constantly dropping seeds from a sack that never emptied. Johnny Appleseed has become an American myth similar to Pecos Bill & Paul Bunyan.
Would "trivial contribution" work better for you?;)

As to mythology, stories do grow with the telling. Personally, I think the reality of Chapman is more impressive because of the solidity, but story tellers love to embellish.

J

Rhubarb originates in china .

Many other food crops originate in Persia/Afghanistan region , such as peaches , apples , almonds , amongst others .

Cattle were domesticated in Africa but they weren't milked at first. They were bled instead. In fact some tribes in Africa carry on the practice today. Milking did not come until cattle were introduced in Turkey around 7000 BC.

Cattle were domesticated in Africa but they weren't milked at first. They were bled instead. In fact some tribes in Africa carry on the practice today. Milking did not come until cattle were introduced in Turkey around 7000 BC.
Which allows me settle a discussion I had with a friend
"Who was the first pervert to try drinking a cows milk?"

India has a temperate climate? :eek:
Russia is also partially sub-polar and polar.
Northern Argentina is also tropical.

Top Bottom