History of Railroads

SuperSatan3

Chieftain
Hello, I am a college sophomore, who is a business major. This is partially why I always liked strategy/simulation games like CIV, Starcraft, and Railroad Tycoon.
However, in all of the series Sid Meyer's seems to neglect much of the history of the golden age of railroad. Which is interesting since he made such games such as "GettysBurg", and "Colonization".
Pieces of history are neglected in both storyline and gameplay. For example, the newspaper talks about the panic of the 1870s, and even uses rl trains. But he seems to have forgotten who built the railroads(Chinese and Irish Immigrants), the people who raided them(Jesse James and other train robbers), and the native Americans who would have liked nothing more than to see them destroyed(also odd as The Native Americans were a playable Country in CivII, III, and IV).

I have read all the complaints in the forums about bugs, lack of depth, and other things, but I think if you play it for the history, like I do, Sid needs to make an expansion. Either to Railroads, or CIV4(the expansion wouldemphasize railroads)

Features I would like to see:
1.)Random events, such as train robberies, Indian raids, and worker revolts.
2.) Hirable mercenaries to deal with the above,
3.) Ability to negotiate excluse contracts with the likes of Rockefeller
4.) Camptowns full of prostitutes, gambling, and god knows what else.

I don't think that they will ever turn their attention to this game again tbh!

Realism asside, the maps are off quite a bit (W-DC and Baltimore or in Virginia. I rebuilt that map and it made a little more sense. Also resources and industires are not where they should be. What we have is just a broad base of the railroad history and a playable game. Civ4 plays real smooth until the beginning of the technology age on my dual core but SMRR drops off early. I too don't think much was put into this other than to get it out to see if it is economically worth more effort. A few freebee add ons have been release which were actually cool (Santa Land). I wonder what the sales figures were (great,good, fair, sucked). I did notice the price did not drop fast like some games do so popularity must have been good (neither did Civ4. Yes a release with multicore support and a little more realism would be great. I'll buy it.

Well its not like Sid is the first to make a crappy game in an otherwise successful franchise.
I am just appalled as to how much history has been neglected through the series.
In Civ games, almost every aspect is covered, from pollution, to espionage, to religious wars, and everything in between.
However, in the Tycoon series, its all like "once upon a time, there were a bunch of railroads which made everyone rich".

Well its not like Sid is the first to make a crappy game in an otherwise successful franchise.
I am just appalled as to how much history has been neglected through the series.
In Civ games, almost every aspect is covered, from pollution, to espionage, to religious wars, and everything in between.
However, in the Tycoon series, its all like "once upon a time, there were a bunch of railroads which made everyone rich".

The Civ gameplay has remained constant while graphics and UI have changed. Gameplay has just evolved to take on ever more complex reality issues. It will take some serious work to pull it closer to reality because of all the complexities of life.

Although entertaining, RRTC seems to have lost it's roots of gameplay along the way and just changed to a new game altogether. Roller Coaster TC did change in it's third iteration but later an update was released that brought a lot of original stuff back. If RRTC could bring back some of it's roots then it would start to appeal to those who played earlier versions. I only played a demo of RRTC Delux.

I dont know why everyone says this is a bad game, this is one of the best games he ever made

Realism is all very well, but Indians...in Britain? :(

I reckon events should be different where ever you are, covering things like the Blitz, the speed record attempts of the Thirties, and more.

(However, ending the British game in 1948 with a Nationalization event would be a bad idea.)

Top Bottom