History of the United States

Syterion said:
It's insulting that in high schools these days we spend a whole year on US History and only 2 years on the whole world's history.
I wouldn't call it two years of world history. That freshmen Geography course isn't history, it's... filler, really.

Syterion said:
Guns do kill people. You are actually 3 times more likely to kill a family member than a robber or criminal.

It's insulting that in high schools these days we spend a whole year on US History and only 2 years on the whole world's history.

I've never heard of someone killing a family member accidentally with a gun. This is probably a standard "skewed statistic," as in, when they say that they're counting people going crazy and killing family members and trying to portray it as family members accidentally killing each other. And there are tons of stories about people protecting their homes and businesses from criminals using guns, but these rarely make it to mainstream news because that would set back the anti-gun movement.

About the second part, do you mean Indian schools spend a year on U.S. history and only 2 years on World History? I would'nt say that's "insulting," it's important for other countries to learn about the #1 superpower if they are to compete.

EDIT: See, i knew this would get off topic. :wallbash:

I'd like to see a movie about europe like this.
Inquisition, holocaust, wars, fascism, communism, barbarianism, persecution, propaganda, genocice, wow, even Americans come from Europe!

If the US is that bad for not kepping hooded radial conservatives on a leash, what is Europe?

That was great, and its HUMOR, huuuuuummmmmmooooooooorrrrrrrrrrr, get it. its not supposed to be historicly acurate or reprenstitive of the whole population.. so give it a rest.

Lord Draegon said:
That was great, and its HUMOR, huuuuuummmmmmooooooooorrrrrrrrrrr, get it. its not supposed to be historicly acurate or reprenstitive of the whole population.. so give it a rest.

Humor is supposed to be funny.

Lord Draegon said:
That was stupid, and its PROPAGANDA, pppppppppprrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooppppppppppppppaaaaaaaaagggggggggggaaaaaannnnnnndddddddaaaaaaa, get it. Its not supposed to be historicaly accurate or representaive, its supposted to raise hate to white-gun owning Americans.

I think the video would have been more humorous if it covered more positive aspects of gun related issues also - in a 'two-sided' way (ie - fight tyranny, then create your own). All this was, was a combined manipulation of facts that resulted from minority events, used to insult many Americans - and in such a way as to imply all Americans are that way. Tasteless.

Lopex - how you can think that the World War's had nothing to do with American History is beyond me - America obviously played a huge part in both. This video you find humorous is along the same line as someone reading your remark & creating a video to imply that all Dutch ignorant.

:lol: I saw this in Bowling for Columbine. Very nice watching, if the documentary was a bit lacking in truth at times.

Syterion said:
Few things-
You are actually 3 times more likely to kill a family member than a robber or criminal.
Its because we hate our family members. My family has made my life miserable. Not because they try to teach me stuff but for their behavior.

Syterion said:
America's history is frankly, boring. 200 years of history is nothing. When I was in India we had to learn 3000 years of history. It's insulting that in high schools these days we spend a whole year on US History and only 2 years on the whole world's history.

Do you know that most americans don't even know who George Washigton was? If you live in america u are not supposed to learn india's history. And frankly I think americans have accoplished more stuff in 100 years than most countries that have been around more than that.

Americans don't have a good sense of humor when others make fun of their country.

Wow this is kinda racist!
:ar15::aargh:
That looks like it hurt.

Lonkut said:
Americans don't have a good sense of humor when others make fun of their country.

Making fun of my country is fine, so long as it's in good taste. This is an outright assault on my country.

Corsair: Yes, at all times.

About the second part, do you mean Indian schools spend a year on U.S. history and only 2 years on World History? I would'nt say that's "insulting," it's important for other countries to learn about the #1 superpower if they are to compete.
No, I mean American schools spend a whole year on US History. I'd be much happier if it was instead a year based on current events, or something like the last 70 years. WWII or WWI and up. My India comment was that India has 3000 years of history, requiring much more work. And there is no reason any country besides US would teach a history course about the US. In public schools, at least. Like I said, US History is boring. Being a superpower doesn't mean people have to know the history. People get enough info on the US already these days anyway.

Do you know that most americans don't even know who George Washigton was? If you live in america u are not supposed to learn india's history. And frankly I think americans have accoplished more stuff in 100 years than most countries that have been around more than that.
I don't care about what America has accomplished, that was the whole point. If I did care, I wouldn't say American history was boring. India and many other countires have long, varied, and interesting histories. I particularly like Turkish history.

This is very amuzing if you do not take it as legitimate intellectual debate. As an intelligent person I would be mortified to learn that anyone could take this as what it is, trite and illogical propoganda. Having said that, realizing something is propoganda makes you able to laugh at how ridiculous it is. What would mortify me would be if there were people who take that as fact. Sometimes I wonder how skewed others views of america are, considering how skewed some of the people I know are about countries that are not america.
They make some silly assumptions: there are only Whites in Europe, Hispanic and Spanish are interchangeable, Russia is the same as the USSR, all Africans are black, Greece/Rome/Europe/US have always been the most powerful faction in the wordl. These are silly assumptions, even I used to have a couple before learning from non-American or truly academic sources, but often perpetuated in a society. I will admit that Americans are far worse in knowing history and geography then people in Developed nations. Although I do not have the study with me, polls reveal this. Even so, what ridiculous propoganda about us Americans is circulated in foreign nations.

Uncle Sam said:
Making fun of my country is fine, so long as it's in good taste. This is an outright assault on my country.

Thats what is so funny about it. Its not true but in a way it is. You who live here should understand how crazy americans are about their guns. This video is showing us something that we never new it was true.We never learned this at school. I never learned why Colt came up with the revolver but this video is showing us why Colt invented the revolver. I find it funny the way it tells it.

Lonkut said:
Thats what is so funny about it. Its not true but in a way it is. You who live here should understand how crazy americans are about their guns. This video is showing us something that we never new it was true.We never learned this at school. I never learned why Colt came up with the revolver but this video is showing us why Colt invented the revolver. I find it funny the way it tells it.

Americans aren't crazy about their guns. Liberals are crazy about getting rid of our guns. Colt did not invent the revolver to "allow the evil, cruel, cowardly white men massacre black people" as Moore claims, he wanted to come up with a powerful effective weapon to make tons of money selling. And he did. Buying these lies which you admit in your own post aren't true is way out there. Oh well, I guess i can't expect those who are deprived of their right to bear arms to understand.

Uncle Sam said:
Oh well, I guess i can't expect those who are deprived of their right to bear arms to understand.
What the hell does that mean? I am an american citizen and I can buy a gun whenever I want. You don't know Mr. Colt nor where you alive 100 years ago. And nobody who has tought history would tell you that colt came up with the revolver to kill blacks it would be bad for the reputation of the country. And thats why weapons were created in the first place to kill. I don't believe moore's video but I find it funny the way he tells it. You are just being like one of those people who call themselves patriots and don't want to hear anything bad about their country. Cheer up and have a laugh. Even if its not true. Nobody says that lies can't be funny.

Syterion said:
Few things-
It was in Bowling for Columbine, so I don't think you can count it as all humor.

Guns do kill people. You are actually 3 times more likely to kill a family member than a robber or criminal.

America's history is frankly, boring. 200 years of history is nothing. When I was in India we had to learn 3000 years of history. It's insulting that in high schools these days we spend a whole year on US History and only 2 years on the whole world's history.

Just be glad you don't live here. 6 years of Texas history, 4 of U.S., and only 2 of world. :rolleyes:

Lonkut said:
What the hell does that mean? I am an american citizen and I can buy a gun whenever I want.

What? I thought you mentioned or implied somewhere else you were a European. That one was my bad. And again, the reason i don't like it is because Moore is calling me a racist and a gun nut, and many other things because there is a gun in my house.

And if you say i don't know why Colt made the gun, then why the hell does Moore's explanation become correct? I've never heard from any history source the colt was created specifically for killing blacks, and i've had enough pinko teachers that one of them would have made sure to point that out by now.

Top Bottom