1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

History of the United States

Discussion in 'Humor & Jokes' started by Lopex, Aug 27, 2004.

1. sir_schwick

sir_schwick Archbishop of Towels

I think this debate is getting a little heated.

I agree that this video is a travesty to legitimate but controversial history the same way Micheal Moore puts a bad name on legitimate documentary. Its insulting to those who oppose firearms ownership at any level, those who own firearms, Americans who are not rascists(I know plenty who are), and to those who want to learn American history. Realizing that Micheal Moore is a douche, I can safely laugh at this idiot. Personally I think he would be a great humor writing if he did not take himself seriously.

On the topic of gun ownership: I currently do not own a firearm, but am planning to eventually invest in one. There are some good reasons to oppose letting guns out on the street. We all have neighbors, aquaintances, and family members which are very easily angered and are not violent, but have angry waving of the arms and idle threats. Do we really want to have a lot of people pointing guns at each other? Also, my mother and father both have worked in hospitals for many many years. They did confirm that a majority of the gun-shot victims that come in were family members of the shooter. This figure does not take into account those people who are found dead and left at the crime scene so a more complete study would be needed to confirm this idea overall.
    As for why to support guns, criminals will have them no matter what. Most criminals will not try to mug someone who is visibly packing, especially if they look like they are comfortable with the weapon. If someone is breaking into your car, a warning shot will get them running. If someone invades your house, this may save your life. Of course this is how a lot of family members get shot, they wake up in the middle of the night and hear footsteps. Most importantly, if everyone has a small arsenal and a few militias have good arsenals, then the people will be prepared if democracy takes a dive and a rebellion was necessary. I was afraid for a while after the Patriot Act that this day would be coming, but luckily the Supreme Court told Jon Ashcroft he had to read the constitution.
    Just to clarify, I'm willing to take the risks and would rather protect myself and be packing a nine then get shot in botched robbery.

As for the Colt, weapons are created by companies or men for two reasons: 1) to kill better, faster, stronger 2) to make war so efficient that peace was the only acceptable alternative. The first machine gun was created for the second reason, as well as the first nuclear weapons.

2. Lopex

Lopex Why not?

Great discussion here.

I thought the movie was just a joke but you guys made me realize it is all evil propaganda. :rolleyes:
    The way in which you assume Europeans take this movie as complete truth is actually quite insulting.

I guess common sense and humor have a different meaning at the other end of the ocean...

Maybe I should have asked for the opinion of non-Americans too.

3. sir_schwick

sir_schwick Archbishop of Towels

The problem is that Micheal Moore does not realize it is a joke. He considers himself a legitimate intellectual, that is what I find insulting. I did not mean all Europeans take 'Bowling for Columbine' as truth, I was just pointing out that if Americans believe some very screwy things about Europeans then it could easily be vice versa.

Once again, I found it so ridiculous that it was funny. I recently recieved a political phamplet jammed in my doorway. It was for a man running on a Eugenics platform. What is that you ask? He claims that poverty is caused by bad genes and welfare is helping to perpetuate those genes. Where do genetically inferior genes come from, everywhere but Europe and the US basically. He then went on to criticize free trade as promoting bad genes. It was so ridiculous I just laughed, then burned this defamation of the English language.